Man Accused of Stealing Buzzy's Clothing from Disney World Arrested

NelsonRD

FFS people... NEVER did I say his actions should be looked differently on because of his age, or my use of the word 'kid'. NEVER did I say he should be given any graces because of his age. NEVER did I say anything about his age (or any kid's for that matter) and his ability to reason right or wrong. The use of the word kid was about his age and how it would be exploited by media.

This kind of response generated illustrates EXACTLY why editors would label him as kid or exploitable... because the idea is a kid is some protected, impressonable, something to be harbored thing.

He's still a kid... and he's likely going to prison. And he deserves it.

No, that is exactly what you said, which is why everybody responsed. Don't backpedal on it, own it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I disagree. Nobody is immune to challenges in life. We all have them, and putting it off until your older, does not make you a child longer. You are doing adults a huge dis-service to imply to them that adulthood should start older because they have they have not had to work as hard as generations in the past. Your motivation, ethics, and values are installed before your 25, whether you live as adult or not.

Who said anything about 'adulthood starting older'? Labeling you a kid is about their experience and exposure... not what you are expected to shoulder. A kid driving a car has responsibilities and expectations. They're still a kid.

My kids are in the 20s... they don't live with me.. they have jobs.. they pay their way... they are expected to handle things themselves. I still call them kids and know they still have a lot of learn.

Labeling someone a "kid" is not about what their obligations... it's about their knowledge and experiences.

ImperfectPixie

Quote the words.. and I'll lay it out for you.
For what it's worth, I refer to those under around 27 as "kids", and it drives my 13-year-old nuts because he's VERY literal. I just wanted to make sure my post made it clear that I didn't think his age was acceptable as an excuse for his idiocy. I apologize if it seemed like I was disagreeing with you.

ImperfectPixie

Feel free to disagree with me :)

I was just clarifying my point since some seem to get distracted.... which is exactly why the emotional hook works and it's used.
Yeah...I'm really against the use of "hooks" and putting a "spin" on things. Unfortunately the news world lives and breathes by both these days.

More than that if convicted on the 3 felonies.

You should read up on Florida’s mandatory minimum sentencing rules. Here’s a lawyer’s explaination - http://macklawpa.com/criminal-defense/felony-score-sheet - and the raw material http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/sen_cpcm/index.html

Btw... the burglary charge alone is a first degree felony which alone would exceed the limit requiring mandatory prison time.
Except that is not true. He is charged under 810.02(3)(c) - Burglary of an occupied structure which is a 2nd-degree felony. It scores as a level 6 in the sentencing guidelines or 36 points. The clerk's office has it listed incorrectly as burglary with a mask. once the information is filed, that should change.

His second charge is the dealing in stolen property 812.09(1), also a 2nd-degree felony but, only a level 5 under the sentencing guidelines or 5.4 points because this is not a primary offense.

His third charge is the grand theft 812.014(2(c)(2), a 3rd-degree felony that may not factor into the score sheet as one cannot be convicted of both theft and dealing in stolen property due to double jeopardy. See F.S. 812.025 and Hall v. State, 826 So. 2d 268, 271 (Fla. 2002).

So, for this set of charges her would score 41.4 points before any prior record points are added in. He needs 3.6 more points to get to a presumptive prison sentence (44) and even then the presumptive sentence would only be in the 12-13 month range. (44-28 x .75=12) Sure he is looking at a possible 30 years but, realistically he may not be looking at any prison sentence at all.

GhostlyGoofy

That's got potential... I like the 'anti-selfie' angle. Can you mix in snapchat or instagram? Then I think you have something brewing :)
"Spikes, Snapchat Snatcher jailed today"

Because the Russians stole Buzzy, and they don't want anyone to know, so they unleash their troll farms to throw everyone else off the trail.
Ah yes for the new ride KGB Kommand.

GhostlyGoofy

See... this is how it's done... and has more to do with what hooks you can set... and less about the merits of the case

Only so many people care about dumb FL criminals... but hundreds of millions care about Apple and and the iphone in their pocket
EVERYONE loves a ridiculous "Florida Man" story.

As for the iPhone thing I am not sure if that's an unknown, invasive feature. Or something that can be turned off when snapping photos of you and your cousin committing crimes.

But what if that apple data leads to Buzzys return? Apple would be the hero of Epcot, they could take over whatever the heck that paint thing is in innoventions, and revitalize futurewo.... ok none of that would ever happen. :D

trainplane3

EVERYONE loves a ridiculous "Florida Man" story.

As for the iPhone thing I am not sure if that's an unknown, invasive feature. Or something that can be turned off when snapping photos of you and your cousin committing crimes.

But what if that apple data leads to Buzzys return? Apple would be the hero of Epcot, they could take over whatever the heck that paint thing is in innoventions, and revitalize futurewo.... ok none of that would ever happen. :D
It's not some unknown feature. All smartphones have geotagging as an option. I know Android should default to off and ask you if you want it enabled but I'm not sure about Apple devices.

You can turn it off though (Apple steps here): https://www.imore.com/how-disable-geotagging-camera-app-iphone-and-ipad
You'd think this would be the first thing someone doing dumb stuff like selling stolen goods would do...

The ever so lovable dril has a post that relates to every situation:

Goofyernmost

Or how about... "Hidden iPhone features let police know everywhere you've been and who you've been with!" :)

"New iPhone photo feature leads to arrest of thieves"
Well, if the last two years hasn't shown us anything, you can be filmed saying terrible things, you can be reported and verify your illegal activity, you can actually do absolutely every awful thing to people that you desire and nothing will come of it. It is our new standard of order. That new iPhone feature only results in a base for creating wallet sized photo's to pass out to supporters.

ImperfectPixie

Experiences do not provide the moral values you need to understand what is right or wrong. I agree experiences can shape you as an individual and your views, but to suggest people have not matured until later in life until they obtain more experiences is not accurate.

I am not on board with the argument that you need a host of life milestones to be considered an adult.
You're mixing two different sets of measurement of a person though, which is confusing the matter.

Morals and values are things that are taught by parents, family, friends and teachers. Yes, they influence our decision-making, but only in so far as how important morals and values are to us as a person.​
Experiences shape our decision-making in a much more subtle, but direct way, and the learning acquired from experiences cannot be obtained through any other means.​

As an extreme example, the main character in the movie "Nell" had very strong morals and values because her mother drove home the lessons contained in the Bible. HOWEVER, she was still very much a child because she lacked completely in worldly experiences - which is why she was able to be tricked into lifting her dress up over her head by a person who wanted to exploit her innocence.

Also, as the mother of 2 autistic children, I can absolutely suggest - with certainty - that some people do not mature until later in life and after they've obtained enough experiences - an unfortunate reality is that some people with severe disabilities never reach maturity. Developmental delays directly affect when a person is ready to experience new things, and a person who lives with them is younger emotionally than their physical age. Using one of my own sons as an example, my youngest is 8 years old physically, but emotionally he's very much closer to 5 or 6 years old and when it comes to issues of personal safety, more like 4. As of today, I can't trust him not to overflow the sink or tub, or to play in the yard without wandering off if I don't check on him at regular intervals or at the very least make sure his older brother is outside with him.

As far as BDD goes, I am not suggesting that he has developmental delays or that he is not an adult. What I am suggesting is that he is emotionally very immature and that his experiences are lacking in terms of behavior and consequences, which is evident in that he's still behaving this way at his age. Perhaps if he'd faced more severe consequences last year, or while he was growing up, he wouldn't be in the situation in which he currently finds himself.

ETA: He could also just be a complete idiot that thinks his parents' money gives him the right to do whatever he wants.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member

It's a well known feature... but one that is enabled by default when you enable 'location services'... which everyone of course wants to do for other apps. It can be turned off.. and you can remove the exif data too with other apps.

I used the example because it illustrates common techniques to make a story attractive to the social media world.. and shows how sometimes it's not even the real meat of the story that can make it attractive to publish and circulate.

Here's another example from my feed today...
Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 3.28.57 PM.png

The emotional hook here is to bite on the patriotism and 'overzealous government' angles. "how dare someone challenge my right to fly the flag" "look at that government getting into everything now... even our flag!" "see, they won't stop at anything.. even the fly is not safe!" blah blah blah. That's what this kind of headline hopes to resonate with and invoke enough of a subconscious response to click that headline.

Note... the headline wasn't "Camping world continues to defy zoning ordinance and now faces fine" or "Camping world continues fight against zoning ordinance dispute" or "Camping world defies city while pushing for new zoning exception"

None of those are sexy enough to get people to click. Even Camping World is using the technique in their fight.. making the dispute about the city limiting their right to stand up for vets, etc... Their post ""This is about more than just the flag. This is about our Veterans, Military, and the men and women that have sacrificed for this great country. They are the reason we fly the flag and they are the reason we will NOT take it down!"

These are the techniques used to try to rally people to your side... or get people to click your links. It's not just about the facts when we talk about viral sharing and public backlash... it's more about stroking emotions.

glawio

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom