Mama Melrose's or Hollywood & Vine?

guitarman520

Original Poster
We are planning on getting the Fantasmic Dinner Package, but which restaurant? We have the dining plan, traveling in early May, and have two small girls (ages 6 and 4). We are not interested in the Brown Derby. Any suggestions? Thanks.

ToTBellHop

guitarman520 said:
We are planning on getting the Fantasmic Dinner Package, but which restaurant? We have the dining plan, traveling in early May, and have two small girls (ages 6 and 4). We are not interested in the Brown Derby. Any suggestions? Thanks.
I love Mama Melrose's. It has a really cool theme and really great Italian food. I'm not knocking Hollywood and Vine, either--they are both great picks. Pick whichever food type you prefer.

tigsmom

guitarman520 said:

We did Mama Melrose and loved it! You pick from a set menu (unless its changed) and the food is quite good. I'd like to try Hollywood & Vine next time. Lets compare: H&V is a buffet where MM is a set menu, H&V is less expensive (but on the dining plan they count the same), You get the special pass at both.

In your situation with younger kids (mine girls are 17 & 11) I would go with H&V because the buffet will give you more choice (both adults & kids) and you get the ice cream/dessert bar. :slurp:

Either way you will have a good meal.:wave:

MouseMadness

I haven't gotten to eat at H&V yet, but my kids enjoyed Mama Melrose's tremendously. But as Mad said, either way you're safe. If your kids aren't picky eaters, I'd look over the menus and decide what the adults in the group would prefer. :) I love Italian, so we've eaten at Mama melrose's MAAAAANY times.

(good decision on skipping Brown Derby. We did that last time, and the kids were fine, but I was on edge the entire time trying to KEEP them that way!) :lol:

kal1484

Depends if you want a sit-down or buffett, and how you're kids are behaved. H&V is more relaxed, not a lot, but a little, it also has "kids" food on the buffet whereas Mama's you only have certain things to choose from. If you like Italian a lot, I'd go with Mamas, if its only "eh" I'd go w/H&V. Either way is great, except now I'm really hungry! Have FUN! :sohappy:

Nicole

I like H&V a lot. Another plus is it's closer to the Fantasmic theater, as opposed to MM which is on the far end of the park.

Computer Magic

Have you tried the Brown Derby in the past? Just wondering why you are not interested.

I really had a bad experience with Mama Melrose. So between the two, Hollwood and Vine....but I prefer Brown Derby

BeachClubVillas

I love Mama Melrose's. We eat there every year. The penne vodka is fabulous.

We've never tried Hollywood & Vine, but I've heard it's good.

Good call on the Brown Derby. We've eaten there twice, and I think it's way overrated. The second time I had to order off the kids menu. There was nothing on the menu that looked remotely good.

slappy magoo

If your kids are antsy to get back in the parks (maybe you are too), then you're probably better off at H&V. Also, if any of your kids are picky, chances are better they'll find something to like there too. The main con at H&V is the noise. Mama Melrose's is decent enough food, but you'll be spending more time there than at H&V.

righttrack

H&V is a buffet but more of a gourmet buffet. The items are made in small batches so they don't have that warmed-over quality to them. The kitchen is open so you can talk to the chefs as well. Great experience. Best regular buffet on property, IMO.

Shellybelle

Computer Magic said:
Have you tried the Brown Derby in the past? Just wondering why you are not interested.

I wondering this too. We tried it for the first time last week and loved it.

I haven't tried Mama Melrose's (the menu looks good), but we've done H&V and really like it.

tigsmom

Shellybelle said:
I wondering this too. We tried it for the first time last week and loved it.

I haven't tried Mama Melrose's (the menu looks good), but we've done H&V and really like it.

I'm going to hazzard a guess and say its because of the age of her kids. Even though my kids were well behaved at that age, I wouldn't chance it...kids get weird at WDW. :lookaroun It also costs 2 points (or whatever they are called) on the dining plan where the others only cost one.

guitarman520

Original Poster
tigsmom said:
I'm going to hazzard a guess and say its because of the age of her kids. Even though my kids were well behaved at that age, I wouldn't chance it...kids get weird at WDW. :lookaroun It also costs 2 points (or whatever they are called) on the dining plan where the others only cost one.

You hit it. The kids are just too small for the Brown Derby. Although they are very well behaved most of the time, the added enthusiasm they will have because we are in WDW will surely take it's toll with their patience and mine.

Sounds like Hollywood and Vine might be my choice. More options for the kids. Thanks for everyone input.

lawyergirl77

guitarman520 said:
You hit it. The kids are just too small for the Brown Derby. Although they are very well behaved most of the time, the added enthusiasm they will have because we are in WDW will surely take it's toll with their patience and mine.

Sounds like Hollywood and Vine might be my choice. More options for the kids. Thanks for everyone input.
I have yet to try Mama Melrose's but I really did like H&V. The food selections were very interesting (not at all what you'd expect for a buffet). Although it's not as good as Boma (*dreaming of zebra domes* :slurp: ), it's still a very good buffet, and gives you quite the bang for your buck... I've heard too many "meh" reviews of MM in order to chance it, especially given the limited menu that they give you on the FDP! :wave: (that being said, I will try it... some day! :lol: )

pixel-dust

I'd have to say H and V-- I believe they still do Character meals, and the food is really great. Kids go nuts for the make your own dessert areas.

DisneyMarg

Yes, drinks are included.

We tried H&V and the Fantasmic package on our last trip and I recommend both. I thought the theming at H&V was weak but the food was very good - better than I expected.

Seems odd to me... theming at 50's Prime Time is fabulous and food is good vs. food is fabulous at H&V and theming is good. But I guess that means there's something for everyone. :)

By the way, the two restaurants share a bathroom - very long lines there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom