Making the most out of your Disney Experience - TIPS?

ciscobee

Original Poster
I've got a tip to share.

Whenever I go to WDW ... we typically stay at Pop-Century or All-Star Music, etc. Mainly because of the price ... and that we are NEVER at the hotel. But the one thing I can't stand is the "VALUE RESORT FOOD COURT CRAZINESS!" That's a heck of a way to start your morning.

So, to make the morning a little brighter ... I do not get my Breakfast/Coffee or whatever from my Value Resort. I drive over to Coronado Springs, tell the security lady I am there for breakfast ... if they even ask, ... and the go in and start the day at the Pepper Market; which is much quieter.

... Anyway, that's my tip. How about yours? Anyone have a good, "Making the most out of your Disney Experience" Tip for today!

my tip is more generalized...i realize that most people frequenting this site are also the same people who frequent disney often-however, there are some newbies. I cannot stress this enough...research, research,research! if you take your time and research your trip, you will be able to maximize your time and experience no matter if you are there for a day or a week or longer. use all of the guides available (personally we buy birnbaums guide every year-why? i don't know), and websites, particularly this one can be very helpful (love the thread). Just always remember that no matter how much you plan, give yourself some leeway to just enjoy yourself and your surroundings. i just don't think that if you are traveling with family or as a first timer you are going to be able to fully enjoy wdw going in all willy nilly.

off the topic-couldn't agree more about the value resort eateries. the documentary super size me could have been made about my dietary habits and yet i find almost all of the food served in these food courts to be unedible:hurl:.

cb3k

Ok here are a couple of tips that I use...Since I am a UCF student (30 min drive to Disney), and have an AP I tend to go roughly twice a week and through some trial and error, have found many time saving tricks.....Number 1 (Warning...may be a little "un-disney-ish"..if you are coming into EPCOT around mid afternoon, you can stay all the way to the right and enter where it says "Tram, Taxi, Bus"....this will put you right near the gate and save a wait for the tram or a long hike.......Number 2 , attempt to watch the 3 o clock "Dreams Come True" parade in Frontierland where the parade starts (if you cut through adventureland and into frontierland ...right there)....not only will you have a front row seat to the parade but you will also be able to turn right around and ride Splash Mountain with little to no wait since the parade has prevented the majority of the park from making its way into that land....Number 3 (Be cautious using this) After watching "Wishes" you will often find that the monorail line to TTC is Ridiculously long, however the Resort monorail also goes to the TTC with only one little stop through the contemp., fewer monorails run on this line but usually you will be fortunate enough to catch the first one as opposed to the other line which usually consist of a 3 monorail wait.....Most people there are new to it and assume that they cant get to their cars via the resort line....Just a few of my pointers...enjoy

hammysammy59

Tip: Don't rush!

Seriously. My little bro and I ran around like chickens with our heads cut off, thinking we had "conquered" Disney World. Later, much later, I did a little adding up and even with our crazy runnin' we still missed a BUNCH of stuff.

Moral of the story: Unless you're there for more than a week, you CAN'T see everything. Take it slow, soak it up. I mean, don't take it so slow you're taking naps on the benches when you should be watching a parade or in line for the Haunted Mansion, but don't sprint from one attraction to the next under the delusion that you'll "beat" Disney World.

DznyNeckCoolers

Here's mine:

If you're going in the summer time, be sure to bring:

1. some cold AND frozen water bottles,
2. some kind of water mister/fan combos,
3. neck coolers to help keep you cool, and
4. a collaspable lunch cooler to keep your water bottles and neck coolers in until you need them.

Aurora_25

If your staying for more than 6 days, take one day out and spend it at the resort pool- we are DVC members so we go to Disney alot and this is one thing we do every time. Just gives us one quiet relaxing day to catch up with all the excitement we have had so far.

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Things that make our stay a better experience

1. The coin presses are a very inexpensive and fun thing to collect while at WDW (50 cents plus 1 penny). You can collect the different characters.

2. After we decide what park to go to for the day, we will only pick 5 things to do. This way we have some type "goals" for the day.

3. If you like something you just ate, don't be afraid to ask for the receipe.

4. If the temperature is going to fluctuate, but you don't feel like carrying all your "cold" weather items around, bring them and put them in the lockers.

5. Bring Mittens (Depending on when you go).

6. Have fun and remember to just "go with it".

PS. 7. The first time I went to WDW, I spent so much time taking pictures of the things going on around me (like the beautiful castle at night), that I really didn't get that many pictures of my kids expressions. I have since than learned to "include the kids" a lot more in my pictures. BTW, trashcans make great tripods if you don't have one.

:D Have fun!

KrazyKemp

I think I'll take this opportunity to shamelessly plug Kingdom Konsultants,(one of the sponsors of WDWMAGIC)

Pam, Marie and all of the other great "konsultants" will book your entire vacation for you, make all of your advance dining reservations, and answer any questions you have.

This spared me a lot of long distance calling and stress. I strongly recommend using their services. :wave:

dazzer68

a good camera...photograph everything if digital! you can delete it later, but youd be surprised how good those 'delete' pics look on bigger screen

Glasgow

Good thread Ciscobee

My first tip is more like general advice : patience and preparation. Not many people enjoy being in an hour long line crammed in with smelly people. If you've got kids have something that you can do during the wait -- a crossword puzzle, an I-Spy game, a small video game, etc. You get the idea -- it'll make the wait seem a lot shorter and face it, you're gonna have to wait somewhere.

Second tip - take your time, as someone else said. You're not going to be able to do everything so plan out what you really want to do, then everything else is a bonus. When my wife and I went last year we took our time and enjoyed a drink or ice cream or whatever every once in a while and just took everything in. It made it a lot more relaxing and satisfying.

Third tip - say hello to someone else in line. You get to meet some great people there. Sure we hear lots of stories about rude guests and what not but most people are at Disney for the same reason as you - to have a good time and enjoy themselves.

no2apprentice

I'll throw in a few -

- In addition to emmersandjack's excellent tip of research, research, research, I would add plan, plan, plan. For those of us who have been to WDW many times, and know the in's and out's, we may take this for granted since we already have "a plan" in our heads due to our past experiences. But for those on their first, second, or even third visit, having a plan makes the day go so much better at the World. Any plan is better than no plan.

- Stay flexible, because not every plan goes as planned. Be ready to "adapt, improvise, and overcome." Don't let unpleasant surprises ruin the magic. Go with the flow. "It is far better to move with the punch, then to lean into it." That's it for the cliches.

- With cell phones, cameras, MP3 players, DVD players, and a laptop in our trip list, I have found it very helpful to bring a power strip (or surge suppressor) and an extension cord. With all the rechargable devices, these have been invaluable.

- We use a "noise maker" at night to help block out any background noise of children running up and down the hallway, adults running up and down the hallway, doors slamming, loud voices, etc., etc (we use it at home as well). Several are sold at stores that have digital sounds like "rain", "waves", "wind", and so forth. Many of these digital noises tend to pulse, which we find distracting. We prefer a noise maker that is a mechanical fan inside a plastic housing. The noise is a consistant pitch and volume. They are not cheap, I think about $50 and up. If interested, do a search on the internet for "Sleep Mate".

- At MK in the afternoons, when we start losing steam, we get some water and get on the train. We'll ride it around the park several times, for about 20 minutes to half an hour. No one asks us to get off, and it's just a pleasant way to relax off our feet.

DisneyMusician2

As someone who stays at the value resorts, I never eat at the food court. I always try to get up early and catch breakfast in the parks. It is better and really gets you in the thick of things right away. I always try to eat in the parks, when it is possible using the dining plan.

Astro_Digital

Well I like to do park hopping.

For Example,

I would go to Magic Kingdom till Noon,
Go to Downtown Disney, watch a movie, eat and shop,
Go to a park that closes late.

Clothing I never wear "mittens" or gloves, scarf or heavy jacket. It is never cold, the coldest it gets in central Florida is maybe high 20s; Really a fall jacket something like a light leather jacket is good enough.

Do not forget to sniker at all the warm weather guests that thinks the upper 20s is cold,

dazzer68

Well I like to do park hopping.

For Example,

I would go to Magic Kingdom till Noon,
Go to Downtown Disney, watch a movie, eat and shop,
Go to a park that closes late.

Clothing I never wear "mittens" or gloves, scarf or heavy jacket. It is never cold, the coldest it gets in central Florida is maybe high 20s; Really a fall jacket something like a light leather jacket is good enough.

Do not forget to sniker at all the warm weather guests that thinks the upper 20s is cold,
when were there in feb 2006 it was freezing everyone was buying hats and scarves and all the characters had coats one!
hey and im not a warm weathered guest im from rainy cold england!

brisem

In the afternoons, it usuallly rains for about 20 mins everyday(at least it seems), buy a rain poncho at your local dollar store than buy it at the park.
Have a plan but be flexible with that plan

MomofKatie

My tips:

1- Get to the parks early! We always get there by 8:30 or so. You'll get to see the opening ceremonies and be some of the first in the park. You can get a LOT of attractions under your belt by 11am and slow down and just enjoy the atmosphere when you aren't in long lines.

2- If you are going for more than 3 or 4 days, schedule in downtime. We like to stay for 7 nights and do parks 5 days. On our off days, we head to DTD, do a waterpark for a few hours, relax at our resort, and visit other resorts for dinner and exploring. Believe me, if you try to do commando touring for more than 3 days in a row, you'll be too cranky and exhausted to enjoy yourself.

3- Other say the same thing, but I'll reiterate: PLAN, PLAN, PLAN!! There are so many things I didn't know about before I found sites like this. My family has had much more rewarding Disney experiences since I became an obsessive Disney planner. I am always suprised at how many people spend so much on a Disney vacation, then just sort of float along with no plan, no dining reservations, and no direction (then usually complain about how AWFUL their trip was).

1) I know it's been said, but get up EARLY!!! You get on so many more rides, attractions, see the opening shows, etc. That way, when people are just crowding into the parks at around 11, you can break, have lunch, go back to the hotel and swim, then return later on, refreshed to ride some more rides!

2) FASTPASS, FASTPASS, FASTPASS! Especially if you have younger, impatient (I suppose it goes hand in hand :~)) children. This way you can do lunch and a few less popular attractions, then go back and ride the ride without a wait. For newbies, Fastpass is FREE!

3) Take your time and enjoy the sitdown restaurants; I'm one of those that likes to run crazy from attraction to attraction, because it reminds me of being a kid again. But that great afternoon/evening break of a great sitdown meal where you don't have to stand in line at cashier stand to get your food is always SO relaxing!

4) See the shows! Even if you're not a "show" kind of person, the parades (which I usually don't enjoy) are AMAZING at Disney, and shows like Illuminations and Fantasmic and Wishes are things you won't see anywhere else - try them and see! ;)

5) If you like kids, sit by them at a parade. To watch them watch it for the first time is so adorable...they get so excited, and some will even ask to sit on your lap. (This has happend to me with three seperate children...they were so frickin' cute I was like, "Sure!" I think they were excited because I was excited :animwink: )

Great Thread!

ciscobee

Original Poster
I'll throw in a few -
- With cell phones, cameras, MP3 players, DVD players, and a laptop in our trip list, I have found it very helpful to bring a power strip (or surge suppressor) and an extension cord. With all the rechargable devices, these have been invaluable.

What a GREAT idea. I always run out of plugs. Having camera's, cell phones, laptop, etc ... U R A smart cookie!

One more tip to throw out there. Don't go cheap on your "Magic your way" ticket. After 5 days, it's basically like an additional 6 dollars per person per day. I use the day I fly down to just bum around shops at Downtown, see the merchandise, check out Marketplace, eat some lunch ... and then toward the evening ... I head over to EPCOT with No expectations. Just, see if there are fastpasses ... maybe ride a couple of things or walk around the lagoon. That way ... day one is pretty "low-key". Start fresh on Day 2.

Does anyone else ever "Take the long way out" of EPCOT? My wife and I do this most every time. After the fireworks, which we typically watch front and center between the two gateway shops, we sit for maybe 10-15 minutes and wait for the craziness to move along ... then we start at Canada and walk the whole Lagoon ... taking our sweet time. Usually adds another 45min to the evening and by the time we get to the ball ... it's like were the last people in the park. :p

hammysammy59

Does anyone else ever "Take the long way out" of EPCOT? My wife and I do this most every time. After the fireworks, which we typically watch front and center between the two gateway shops, we sit for maybe 10-15 minutes and wait for the craziness to move along ... then we start at Canada and walk the whole Lagoon ... taking our sweet time. Usually adds another 45min to the evening and by the time we get to the ball ... it's like were the last people in the park. :p

AWESOME idea. I think I'll have to try this next time. Especially since I never spend enough time in the World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom