Trip Report Making Lemonade out of Lemons Fractal Family Trip Report - Completed

I think we can all agree that so far 2020 has been one big sour lemon.

For those that did not read my Pre-Trip report; my entire family (Val-wife, Alex - oldest daughter, Sterg - son, Toni - youngest daughter) has recovered from the Covid-19 virus. Myself, Val, Sterg and Toni got it in March and Alex in April while working as a nurse. Val had it worse with a fever for a couple days and flu like symptoms for about a week. The rest of us were either asymptomatic or had minor symptoms.

Add to that the mental stress of living in a society dealing with this pandemic, Toni missing out on a big chunk of her High School Senior Year and her last dance recital (where she was going to take on a major role as Jasmine), work reductions for Sterg and high stress work conditions for Alex on the front line. Yes, 2020 has sure been one big sourpuss.

But, as the saying goes; "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!"

It just so happened that last year I made a reservation to attend the annual AHEPA convention in Walt Disney World, just as I did in 2017. We were going to stay at the Grand Destino Towers but that seemed very much in jeopardy when AHEPA (which is a charitable organization I'm involved with. Like a Greek version of the Knights of Columbus or Lions Club.) cancelled their convention. Soon after however, I received an email that Disney would honor our reservation in July. This was pretty tempting since we had convention rates and discounts on tickets. Long story short, we decided to go. We felt that having already had the virus gave us an extra level of protection and we knew that Disney would handle the health risks properly. In addition, we later found out that our rooms were moved from Grand Destino to the Contemporary in order to accommodate the LA Lakers and Milwaukee Bucks. Sterg's and my dream of playing Marco Polo with the Greek Freak and LeBron James in the pool were quickly dashed. But who could say no to staying at The Contemporary for $175 a night?

We were a go! It was frustrating however because although we had a resort reservation we did not have park tickets. We also didn't have a "park pass" which was needed during this reopening of WDW. We had to wait for all that to open and I had serious doubts it would by the time our first day at the resort (July 20th) rolled around. I decided to book flights without tickets or park passes. Southwest had roundtrip flights from Philly to Orlando for $90 plus if you had to cancel you got that credit for a future flight. No brainer. This was turning out to be the cheapest Disney trip we have taken as a family! Soon after I was open to buy tickets and book Park Passes. We had started to squeeze that lemon and add it's juice to our pitcher of cold water.

Now for the Cast of our adventure.

Myself - Chris/Fractal. A lover of Disney Parks for the many memories it has given me over the years with my family, the way it helps me completely unwind from my job, and how it taps into my creative side and challenges my skills as a photographer.

Here I am with my crazy kids at Christmas.

MVIMG_20191224_220836-XL.jpg

Val - my beautiful wife. Not the biggest fan of Disney but in the end she was on board. I think secretly she likes it more than she lets on. I will make it up to her with a trip more to her liking.

Here she is with Alex.

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180816202048133_COVER-XL.jpg

Alex - our oldest. Now a traveling nurse. Alex is like me in many ways but as she's getting older and more responsible I'm starting to see her take on a number of Val's traits. She's a good mix and always a delight to be with.

From a trip to Colorado we took last year;

DSC00630-XL.jpg

Sterg, aka Fractal Jr. One word to describe Sterg - catalyst - he just makes things happen. He creates reactions both good and bad. He graduated last year from Penn State. He was a captain on the Swim Team but not without drama. He had to miss his promising senior year of swimming when a series of concussions (all outside the water) forced him to medically retire. PSU handled it very well as he helped the team from the sidelines. He now works as a digital marketing consultant as well as helping his cousin get his music career off the ground. Never a dull moment when Sterg is around!

with our dog Prince (Charming).

20200706-DSC06336-X2.jpg

Toni - For long time readers of my reports you know that Toni and I have a special Disney connection. Many times she would be the only one up early with me to tackle the parks at opening. We have had many great adventures together in the Disney bubble. She's now technically an adult (how did that happen?) so I was going to find out this trip if the magic was still there. She's going to attend Clemson University starting next month and I couldn't be prouder.

Toni in front of the Theater her Recital was supposed to perform at.

20200616-DSC05993-X3.jpg

So Covid-19 made our family suffer in many ways, but we took that lemon, squeezed it's juice out into our water pitcher, now we just needed a little Disney sugar to make our Lemonade complete.

Coming up - Our trip begins with a WDW meet-up before our flight even leaves the ground!

fractal

Original Poster
Maybe Toni is finally turning into a teenager.

I was up early to get to DHS for the open. Everyone else decided to sleep in a little then go to the pool. It was promising to be a beautiful day - high in the low 80's and low humidity. Not typical late July central Florida weather. Back home in Pennsylvania they were suffering through mid 90's and high humidity. This really made me smile because of how many times I heard "You're going to Orlando in July/August? Are you crazy? Way too hot for me!"

My solo mission had begun and I decided early on it was going to be at a slow pace. So much so that my first picture of the day didn't happen until here.

DSC09933-X3.jpg

On the way to Batuu I decided to take a quick trip on Star Tours.

DSC09934-X3.jpg

I was hoping to avoid Imperial entanglements.

DSC09935-X3.jpg

Some familiar faces. C3PO is just never happy.

DSC09937-X3.jpg

DSC09940-X3.jpg

The wait was about 15 minutes. There was a big guy in the couple behind me and every time the group in front of me moved up to the next floor spacing marker he would start moving whether I moved or not. He was breathing down my neck when I took these shots.

DSC09943-X3.jpg

DSC09945-X3.jpg

I turned around and gave him a squinty eye look. Like where does he think he's going? Eventually he took the hint (or his wife told him to show some patience). Last thing I need was to start "throwing hands" in the Star Wars queue line. Had me thinking of Sterg and his air boxing moves; "Chee,chee,chee."

I say it in all my trip reports so I guess I'll say it again - these "TSA" droids are hilarious! Go on YouTube and listen to them if you've never. With "King Kong" pushing me along however I couldn't enjoy it as much.

DSC09947-X3.jpg

Getting ready to board.

DSC09949-X3.jpg

DSC09951-X3.jpg

Star Tours always will remind my family of the time Val was chosen as the rebel spy. In fact she brought up the story over the weekend in Rehoboth with my cousins.

Quick flashback to my 2013 Trip Report;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Val has zero interest in Star Wars. They say opposites attract and that is Val and I in many ways. SW is one of them. Val loves shows like "Glee" and girl flicks, while I'm your typical action movie and sports guy. She grudgingly went on Star Tours, almost like we were dragging her.

Val felt a bit like c-3po. "We seem to be made to suffer..."

As we climbed in our seats, everybody ( and I do mean everybody ) could hear Val complaining. "I don't know why I'm doing this, I don't even like Star Wars, etc, etc."

Before long our Star Tours ship had taken off, only to be stopped by the Sith Lord Darth Vader. "We know you have this rebel spy on board!!"

Take one guess who the spy was. Yep, Val was the rebel spy. The kids and I couldn't stop laughing for a good few minutes. Even Val thought it was funny! Talk about being undercover.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ride itself on this day was excellent! I spent some time on Hoth dodging AT-ATs and then traffic on Coruscant. Loads of fun!

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Although we parted ways after Soarin' and this was to be our last time meeting up, we continued to update each other over text for the rest of the trip. I'm thinking a Pennsylvania meetup over some beers may be in order soon. Maybe with @DisneyJeff ?

Yes!! We need to make this happen!

The first thing I thought of when I saw this picture... "Hi, horse."

DouglasE

I am in complete agreement with you. Both with meeting up with people in Walt Disney World just makes your trip that much more special and the fact that the black and white photo of Space Ship Earth is a wonderful picture. It was one of my favorites as well. Well, it certainly appears that the rain did not get you down during this trip. I don't understand the problem about not putting shoes in the basket. Don't they just stay where you left them on the floor and not move?

I haven't been to Hersey Park in forever. Glad to see that it is up and running and that you all had a fun filled weekend. The big event for me was that Amazon Fresh delivered groceries without incident. AND I purchased some fresh peaches at my local produce market that they received earlier in the day. I got to make some delicious peach cobbler.

20200905_171157_original.jpg

coachwnh

We were laughing as both our heads appeared on the cartoon bodies and started scuba diving and putting on new clothes together. It really was funny!

And we both were wearing Hawaiian shirts in the cartoon. So appropriate!

We really hit it off with @coachwnh and his family! It was so great hooking up with Bill at the airport, having our meet-ups in the park, having dinner together and of course singing Sweet Caroline together and topped it all off with riding SSE and Soarin' together. I'm very thankful for that and for all our meet-ups on this trip. It added another layer of enjoyment and friendship to our WDW adventure and was a key ingredient in turning 2020 Lemons into Lemonade on this crazy trip during a crazy time in this crazy world. 👍 So thank you

The pleasure was all ours. I think it's really neat when Brayden still gives me a Sterg or Toni update from social media.

I'm thinking a Pennsylvania meetup over some beers may be in order soon.

We are there! 🍻 🍹 🍸 I'll text you and we can set something up!

fractal

Original Poster
I didn't do Muppets 3D put did stop for a couple photos.

DSC09952-X3.jpg

DSC09953-X3.jpg

A photographic journey of Galaxy's Edge was next;

DSC09958-X3.jpg

DSC09965-X3.jpg

DSC09969-X3.jpg

Took me awhile to figure out what this place was.

DSC09970-X3.jpg

Inside now.

DSC09975-X3.jpg

Neat little shop - especially for Star Wars nerds like me. Collectibles from all the movies were displayed and available.

DSC09978-X3.jpg

DSC09979-X3.jpg

Pet alien frog thingies from a galaxy far, far away...

DSC09981-X3.jpg

Still has both his arms.

DSC09982-X3.jpg

DSC09984-X3.jpg

DSC09985-X3.jpg

Wish I would have used a smaller aperture here to get more of these pieces in focus.

DSC09986-X3.jpg

Next stop was the droid shop where for the cost of a few hours of your wife and adult children drinking around the world, one could build your own droid (or two).

DSC09989-X3.jpg

I really liked K-2SO in Rogue One (a favorite SW movie of mine) and appreciated the reference here.

DSC09990-X3.jpg

Hi there.

DSC09991-X3.jpg

The authenticity here was amazing. I almost felt bad for these droids.

DSC09992-X3.jpg

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
Welp, returned to work so getting caught up again! It's nice to have some semblance of 'normal' while it's still abnormal.

For the uninitiated, here is how Mission Space works (Orange)...

"The attraction is a multiple-arm centrifuge that achieves the illusion of acceleration by spinning and tilting sealed capsules during the four-minute "mission"... The attraction exposes riders to forces up to 2.5G, more than twice the force of gravity at the Earth's surface (effectively multiplying a rider's weight by 2.5). A few months after the ride's opening, motion sickness bags were added within easy reach of riders.[7] "

Well, I definitely did the green version! And I'm seriously rethinking that drinking around the world now...think I'll spread it out over a few park visits!

Probably a smart idea!

I extended to Sunday. So now my trip is Monday 10/19 - Sunday 10/25. So I have given myself more time. I can be leisurely in MK now on my final full day. Dinner ADR at Skipper Canteen Saturday night just before MK close then straight back to resort to chill out / pack / enjoy bar, etc. I made a park reservation for AK on Sunday -- no ADRs. Just go straight there after checkout. And leave whenever I'm ready. It's the park closest to the Western entrance. I could still leave at 4:00 and be home before it's dark (four hour drive).

Sounds like a good plan!
Great picture of The Land mosaic. 😍😍😍

Thanks - I really liked it as well. The contrast struck me as I walked out of The Land - bright and colorful vs. dark skies. I also like how it helped frame Imagination pavilion.
Story of my life sometimes!

Those hallway carpets at YC are super plush! Wilderness lodge also has a similar carpet, but not quite as good. It seems odd that I know this.

Lol! Good to know we aren't the only ones comparing WDW resort carpeting!
Have loved your pictures so much! You can see your love of photography in your shots. 😊

Thanks @The4mousekeeters ! 🙂
I second this.

During "normal" times, the park is so busy and crowded, that many people don't take notice of the magnificent tilework at The Land paviliion. Many times (in previous trips), I've stopped there, to take it all in -- just beautiful.

It is and there is so much detail in beauty in WDW that the vast majority of people simple walk by. But it's there for us to find!

fractal

Original Poster
Love the Zero-D lens shots!!

It's a neat lens. Close focusing ability and "fast" for a wide angle. Great lens for architecture.

Yes!! We need to make this happen!

The first thing I thought of when I saw this picture... "Hi, horse."

Definitely and Lol!

I am in complete agreement with you. Both with meeting up with people in Walt Disney World just makes your trip that much more special and the fact that the black and white photo of Space Ship Earth is a wonderful picture. It was one of my favorites as well. Well, it certainly appears that the rain did not get you down during this trip. I don't understand the problem about not putting shoes in the basket. Don't they just stay where you left them on the floor and not move?

I haven't been to Hersey Park in forever. Glad to see that it is up and running and that you all had a fun filled weekend. The big event for me was that Amazon Fresh delivered groceries without incident. AND I purchased some fresh peaches at my local produce market that they received earlier in the day. I got to make some delicious peach cobbler.

View attachment 496192

This is the first summer in 10 years I didn't get to Hershey Park, but at least my girls did.
That looks delicious!

I know its awful, but it cracks me up every time!

LOL!

And we both were wearing Hawaiian shirts in the cartoon. So appropriate!

The pleasure was all ours. I think it's really neat when Brayden still gives me a Sterg or Toni update from social media.

We are there! 🍻 🍹 🍸 I'll text you and we can set something up!

Forgot about the Hawaiian shirts!

I'm definitely up for it. I'm going to be crazy busy until end of October. I'm in charge (once again) of our Church's annual Greek food festival which is mid-October. Lots of work to be done and planning in the Covid environment.

I so desperately want to visit Galaxy's Edge lol

Yep - you would love it!

Ghostdog

Your photos are fantastic and creative, they could be commissioned out and used in advertisements. You definitely have an eye for this form of art. What a great opportunity with the VERY low crowds to take pictures without random people in the background. So glad you seized the day and took oodles of photos. 👍👍

fractal

Original Poster
So I guess the story is this droid is manning some kind of barbecue machine that is cooking up the meats in Rontos'. He's working pretty hard!

DSC00008-X3.jpg

And the "oven" appears to be a repurposed pod racer engine.

DSC00009-X3.jpg

DSC00010-X3.jpg

I switched to the 24mm lens to present a wider view of the operation.

DSC00013-X3.jpg

Here is what's being "cooked up". Not your typical BBQ animal but considering we were hundreds of lightyears away from home, it seemed reasonable.

DSC00018-X3.jpg

I tried to order breakfast, but it was too late. Only lunch was available.

So doing what I have been trained to do, I ordered what the place was know for - the Ronto wrap.

fractal

Original Poster
The Ronto wrap was delicious!

After my quick lunch I explored more. This little room behind a locked door intrigued me. I saw Cast Members walk in and out of it and thought it was some sort of storage closet. Then I got closer to discover the detailed theming inside.

Maybe it is a storage closet of sorts? I was amazed at the length the imagineers went to make sure everything you saw was convincing.

DSC00020-X3.jpg

Quite a system for a BBQ.

DSC00015-X3.jpg

After bidding farewell to my oppressed BBQ droid friend I ventured into the "marketplace".

DSC00023-X3.jpg

If you are a fan of Disney detail and Imagineering theming then this is the place for you. I thought about 10 year old me and my boyhood friends being plopped down in Galaxy's Edge. We would pretend a porch swing was the Millennium Falcon cockpit; this would have blown our imagination into hyper-drive spurring many little adventures and undoubtably getting into some kind of trouble.

DSC00024-X3.jpg

DSC00025-X3.jpg

DSC00026-X3.jpg

One of the problems with getting older is losing your imagination. I look at all these things and appreciate it for being amazing props while the 10 year old me would have quickly sold into all of this being "real". It gets harder as you age to suspend disbelief as we dull our senses with the day to day reality of our lives. Dealing with COVID-19 this year certainly hasn't helped.

DSC00030-X3.jpg

DSC00031-X3.jpg

DSC00032-X3.jpg

DSC00033-X3.jpg

Several of the little shops were closed. Was it due to managing COVID-19 or did they not pay enough credits to the First Order? Depends if you're asking 52 year old me or 10 year old me.

DSC00034-X3.jpg

DSC00035-X3.jpg

DSC00036-X3.jpg

Stormtrooper keeping an eye on things. No patrols on the streets, just from afar. I still appreciated the efforts Disney made to help me try to reconnect to that lost part in my adult mind.

DSC00040-X3.jpg

One of the great optimistic themes of the Star Wars universe is how it handles "artificial intelligence". In Star Wars we have droids that exist basically to serve their master; in sharp contrast to most recent Science Fiction like The Terminator where AI/robots try to take over and kill their masters.

So instead of Arnold Schwarzenegger with a exposed chrome skull brandishing some kind of machine gun as he hunts you down, Star Wars gives you this...

DSC00042-X3.jpg

On that positive note, I left Batuu and decided to do something 10 year old me couldn't do - go grab a beer...

Last edited:

fractal

Original Poster
As a big Star Wars fan yes I will, just need to be allowed to go :p

Hang in there!

Your photos are fantastic and creative, they could be commissioned out and used in advertisements. You definitely have an eye for this form of art. What a great opportunity with the VERY low crowds to take pictures without random people in the background. So glad you seized the day and took oodles of photos. 👍👍

Thanks so much @Ghostdog ! The low crowds were nice and allowed me more freedom and room to photograph in.
Loved your shots through the Epcot pavilions! I am always amazed at how Disney never skimps on the details.

Those shots with the Laowa lens – wow! That SSE shot of the queue entrance is stunning!

thanks and yes, I liked the results from that lens!

Good choice! I hope you liked it as much as I did! 😋

Yes indeed!

What do you generally carry in your bag when you are in the parks?

I think my wife will probably want to carry her DSLR on our next trip, and the cargo pockets on my ‘old man’ shorts aren’t up to hauling a lot of glass.

I have a small over the shoulder bag (unless on the rare occasion I bring my large "sling bag") that I'll typically carry 2 lenses in. Now on this trip, the fisheye is so small I can also throw that in as well.
If I do that I'll have 4 lenses - one on my camera plus 2 or 3 in the bag. I usually started out with the 24mm on my camera, the fisheye, 55mm and 85mm in the bag.

For Epcot I replaced the 85mm with the 15mm Laowa. Later in this trip at AK I started out with a "beast" of a lens; 105mm 1.4. As you can see I like primes. Right now I don't even have a zoom.
That may change but not yet.

Wow. I feel like I just took a trip to Batuu! To be able to see the details through your lens is just amazing. And your storytelling along with it...? I feel like you are a writer AND a photographer?

Thank you @cgersic! I enjoy writing these trip reports. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom