Making it Work

Magic Feather

Original Poster
At Disney Parks Around the World, many unideal situations exist, some of which are forced to be solved once they are bad enough not to be ignored. Every few days or so, I will update this thread with a new "unideal situation" and try to promote an open discussion wpif what should be done to fix it, with a few of my thoughts along the way so... Without further adieu:

It's A (Too) Small World
image.jpeg

One of, if not the worst bottleneck in all of Walt Disney World is the Corridor between Pinnochio's Village Haus and Haunted Mansion, so, how can you...
image.jpeg

AceAstro

Seeing the title made me think of this song :D

What I would do is remove the roof of the It’s a Small World queue. Even with it being sank down, I think removing the roof would make the facade look even better as well as making that area a lot less “boxy”.

Last edited:

DisneyManOne

Here's how I would do it:

There's a large parcel of land located beyond the railroad tracks on the upper-right side of the Magic Kingdom. This land is mostly dominated by a large lake, spreading into a stream. Already, some of this land is being used for the upcoming TRON Lightcycle Power Run, so why not turn the remaining land into the new home of "small world"?

In this regard, the lake would be filled up and the river would be re-routed, so that it would go around the show building, re-connecting to the larger river that slinks across on the other side of the service road. In addition, so that the railroad can pass through the facade as it does at Disneyland, the railroad will be briefly re-routed so that it continues straight, curving in to do pass through the facade, then turning back towards the Fantasyland station. In addition, the track leading to the roundhouse will also be re-routed because of this new addition.

The way I see it, the new "small world" would be located at the farthest corner of Fantasyland, accessed from Storybook Circus. The yellow tent nearby Pete's Silly Sideshow would be removed in favor of a path leading towards the ride. The ride would be surrounded by beautiful gardens and water fountains. The facade would be the same as Disneyland's glorious facade, colored the same way it was when it was sponsored by Mattel.

82f1f83a791fb09e0af3b2d63a66500f--disneyland-vintage-disneyland-california.jpg

I would also take the opportunity to do something about the concrete overpass that the Railroad passes. It always sucks me out of the magic to pass underneath that dumb overpass. As such, I would give the overpass a "small world" makeover, and re-theme it to look like the trestle the railroad passes over at Hong Kong Disneyland.

HK_Disneyland_It%27s_a_small_world.JPG

As for the space where the old "small world" stood, I would build a new cul-de-sac. Not only would this unclog the crowded pathway that came of the old space, but it would save room for at three dark rides. In my head, I'd have Mr. Toad make his glorious return on the left-hand side, a new version of Pinocchio's Daring Journey sit right next door to the Village Haus, and right in-between the two, I'd move Frozen Ever After over here from Epcot.

AceAstro

Here's how I would do it:

There's a large parcel of land located beyond the railroad tracks on the upper-right side of the Magic Kingdom. This land is mostly dominated by a large lake, spreading into a stream. Already, some of this land is being used for the upcoming TRON Lightcycle Power Run, so why not turn the remaining land into the new home of "small world"?

In this regard, the lake would be filled up and the river would be re-routed, so that it would go around the show building, re-connecting to the larger river that slinks across on the other side of the service road. In addition, so that the railroad can pass through the facade as it does at Disneyland, the railroad will be briefly re-routed so that it continues straight, curving in to do pass through the facade, then turning back towards the Fantasyland station. In addition, the track leading to the roundhouse will also be re-routed because of this new addition.

The way I see it, the new "small world" would be located at the farthest corner of Fantasyland, accessed from Storybook Circus. The yellow tent nearby Pete's Silly Sideshow would be removed in favor of a path leading towards the ride. The ride would be surrounded by beautiful gardens and water fountains. The facade would be the same as Disneyland's glorious facade, colored the same way it was when it was sponsored by Mattel.

82f1f83a791fb09e0af3b2d63a66500f--disneyland-vintage-disneyland-california.jpg

I would also take the opportunity to do something about the concrete overpass that the Railroad passes. It always sucks me out of the magic to pass underneath that dumb overpass. As such, I would give the overpass a "small world" makeover, and re-theme it to look like the trestle the railroad passes over at Hong Kong Disneyland.

HK_Disneyland_It%27s_a_small_world.JPG

As for the space where the old "small world" stood, I would build a new cul-de-sac. Not only would this unclog the crowded pathway that came of the old space, but it would save room for at three dark rides. In my head, I'd have Mr. Toad make his glorious return on the left-hand side, a new version of Pinocchio's Daring Journey sit right next door to the Village Haus, and right in-between the two, I'd move Frozen Ever After over here from Epcot.
Incredible!! Not only do you clear the area, you also add in some new attractions. I feel like that would work quite nicely there!

tcool123

Okay so here's my go.

In January 2018 Disney announced that it's a small world will close for a major refurbishment, and that Pinocchio's Village Haus will close permanently to accommodate the refurbishment. Upon the closure of Pinocchio's Village Haus later that month both Tomorrowland Terrace and Tortuga Tavern began operating on a permanent basis to accommodate the closure of the quick service. Fans of the menu found at Pinocchio's Village Haus can now find the menu with slight modifications in names at the Tomorrowland Terrace. Overall this should result in a year long net gain considering these restaurants are frequently closed, but with this decision they will be open daily from 11AM to park close.

The current outdoor queue will be removed, and in it's place is an open air path eliminating the shaded queue covering along with pushing back the former facade of Pinocchio's Village Haus as well to allow for more room. However with that said a new facade, which will be placemaking for Old Fantasyland, will be built. This facade will not be as protruding into the path of the former, and will look like homes of a Bavarian village. With all that said a set of automatic doors will still be located here as the accessibility entrance.

The standby entrance will be located in the former entrance of the dining area of Pinocchio's Village haus as it weaves around a toy workshop featuring various toys played with kids around the world. Eventually it will lead to a bridge crossing over the former queue behind the giant clock within the attraction. Keeping this new bridge hidden is an expanded facade of the the giant clock town with more landmarks from around the world in the white and gold style. You may have noticed I didn't mention Fastpass+, and that is because this ride will be dropped from that service. The exit of the ride will be in the same location as before, and includes a picture spot with the it's a small world backdrop. The exit continues back to where the new entrance is for the standby queue.

Additionally a new restroom will be built as the old one is being removed along with the kitchen area for Pinocchio's Village Haus for a copy of Disneyland's Pinocchio's Daring Journey where the old restrooms where. Additionally during this down time the ride will be receiving film tie ins including characters from Coco, Moana, Cinderella, Aladdin, and many more of people's favorite films and characters. In total there will be 40 Disney characters hidden throughout the ride, and there will be no change in countries represented unlike the Disneyland version.

Here is a map of the updated IASW complex:
Untitled.png

Orange: Fantasyland
Brown: Path
Green: Flowerbeds with topiaries
Dark Blue: Fountain ala Disneyland's
Pink: Queue/Exit/Load
Lavender: Main Showbuilding
Light Blue: New Bathrooms
Red: Pinocchio's Daring Journey​

TwilightZone

since the problem seems to be that you aren't able to see the ride, my idea is to demolish some of the outside of the building, my idea is to do this:
step 1: demolish the front
step 2: build a big, giant circus tent with it's a small world signage at the front. something like this would work well
801214d61fecda77d7d602041b56d94d.jpg

step 3: make the queue circus themed and interactive without making it a playcenter. something similar to what indiana jones had before disney got lazy keeping the queue effects working.
step 3/4. expand the queue.

Magic Feather

Original Poster
image.jpeg

Key:
Light Gray- Guest Pathways
Dark Grey- Service Road
Gold- Small World Queue
White- Small World Façade Work
Bright Blue- Small World Exit
Yellow- Tangled Toilets
Dark Purple- Maypole Fountain
Orange-Brown- Tangled Tower atop a Mountain with Waterfalls
Slightly Darker Bright Blue- River
Dark Green- Dense Forested Area
Lavender- Pan Showbuilding
Bright Purple- Pan Exit
Mildly Dark Purple- Peter Pan Indoor Queue (from new Refurb, just with rerouted entrance, with old entrance becoming the Fastpass Lane)
Light Green- New Pan Outdoor Queue
Dark-ish Green- Planter Space
Red- Leota's
Blue-Gray- The Knotted Oak

As a part of the remodeling of this path, the current corridor between Peter Pan's Flight will be remodeled into One World Plaza, a magnificent corridor using lighting reminiscent of Toyville Trolley Park in Tokyo Disney Sea
image.jpeg

Guests will walk past a vertical hybrid of the traditional Disneyland Clock Tower and the Tower of the Four Seasons, before being walking under white, silver, and golden arches adorned with gorgeous popcorn lighting. Where the current exit to it's a small world resides, a new golden archway with glittery lettering marks the entrance. As guests enter, unless they have a fastpass, they will move right, into an old dining space of the now smaller Pinnochio's Village Haus (with a fully built out second story) where a new, fully indoor queue awaits. Tapestries depicting scenes from the attraction are hung overhead, and in the center of the room, a fountain featuring the traditional small world logo of childen in a boat uses a curved stream if water to mimick a sphere, symbolic of the globe. Upon exiting this room, guests begin to descend down a ramp into the load station, without the disneyland façade, but instead, a high density, akin to thise of world of color, of colorfully lit fountains guide the way for the boats.

Through Small World Plaza, in what is currently the Tangled area, the new "Village Square" is born. In the center, a new maypole fountain, where each ribbon evokes a different Disney tale. The Tangled Restroom Facilities remain unchanced, but the area is entirely different. Memento Mori and the Second story of the Old Colombia Harbor House are demolished to make way for an expanded pathway, and the new "Knotted Oak". Upon its inception, Knotted Oak would be split between a Rapunzel Meet and Greet (the First of many relocations from Princess Fairytale Hall to make way for an eventual removal) and a Gift Shop, however this space was built with an ulterior motive. Upon the inevitable lifting of the MK prohibition, the Knotted Oak complex will become the Knotted Oak Pub, inspired by traditional British and German Bars with a fairytale twist, specializing in Whiskey, Bourbon, and Beer. In order to maintain the plausibility, the construction will include the building of a small treats case in the back of the store area, warranting the construction of food and bev related necesities.

Finally, the anchor attraction of the "Village Square" would be Peter Pan's Flight, where guests would enter a new façade of the darlings home, before entering the current queue, and a narrow corridor to load/unload.

This would successfully alleviate crowds by streamlining the oathway, and remove the majority of the outdoor canopy space in front of Pan and Small World.

Finally, due to its intense remodel, Columbia Harbor House will be converted into Leota's a new table service space, themed to the abandoned library of Madame Leota's, where some ominously shifting books or a self lighting table candle.

Last edited:

Magic Feather

Original Poster
Now, let's go to Disney's Hollywood Studios and Sunset Boulevard. Sunset Boulevard, being a dead end, often results in jams going up and down the street. With the backstage areas behind Sunset Ranch Market being vital for the Area, how can this no longer be a dead end, without touching the Backstage of sunset markey? You have to:
image.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
I got two options

Option 1 - Auxiliary Path
make%2Bit%2Bwork%2B1.jpg

Definitely the cheapest option, but many times the crowds form on Sunset when shows are released (either BatB or especially Fantasmic)

Last summer, the auxiliary street was just left open after 9pm. We got off Tower and just proceeded towards the exit before Fantasmic let out. What I would do is just have that be a permanent street. Theme it similar to its surrounding area, and now guests coming off the two E-tickets, or a show, can choose a quick short cut over to Indy and Star Tours (or leave the park), or towards the Chinese Theater and head back to Toy Story. Creating the fork for an exit will hopefully give people an outlet to travel so they aren't forced to go back into as much oncoming traffic.

Option 2 is much more expensive...
make%2Bit%2Bwork%2B2.jpg

Basically an entire new 'Toontown' land based on the Roger Rabbit style LA Toontown. DHS needs more kid friendly rides, and especially a water ride. This will bring both, with a Roger Rabbit flume ride, and kiddie Mickey and Friends locations, Mickey's House, Donald's boat, Chip and Dale's Treehouse, etc. It will also make sense why Mickey and Minnie are on their way to Hollywood Studios...to visit Toontown.
953c2630c12f437b6245a701f6e443f6.jpg

In regard to traffic control....now Sunset is no longer a one-way street, but one of many streets in a makeshift trapezoid shape in this section of the park.

Now there are several routes one can take exiting Fantasmic/Tower/RnRC, including an overflow route for Fantasmic viewers that is only accessible after-hours and for capacity flow reasons if necessary.

Fun thread idea! Interested to see what others come up with!:)

TwilightZone

u68Qgq2L.png

this is my way of doing it, just build 2 new roads that go in between the two buildings. do trees really need to be in that spot? I don't think so

englanddg

One Little Spark...
u68Qgq2L.png

this is my way of doing it, just build 2 new roads that go in between the two buildings. do trees really need to be in that spot? I don't think so
It's not trees.

There's already a road there, at least where you indicated on that park map.

Look on a google maps with the Sat layer on. The streets even have names.

It's mostly backstage area, but they have used it in the path for crowds to exit Fantasmic on high volume nights for the second showing, or at least on some of the shows I've been to. It brings you out right next to the bathrooms behind Oscars.

I've also had them use it, before they discontinued this practice, when I did the Fantasmic Dinner Package. They would meet you in a Golf Cart in the little "alley" just before you get to the BatB entrance. Then they would take you down this road to the show itself. They stopped doing that in 2013...? I think? Maybe 2012?

Anyway, they used to do stroller parking on some parts of it as well, iirc.

AceAstro

I got two options

Option 1 - Auxiliary Path
make%2Bit%2Bwork%2B1.jpg

Definitely the cheapest option, but many times the crowds form on Sunset when shows are released (either BatB or especially Fantasmic)

Last summer, the auxiliary street was just left open after 9pm. We got off Tower and just proceeded towards the exit before Fantasmic let out. What I would do is just have that be a permanent street. Theme it similar to its surrounding area, and now guests coming off the two E-tickets, or a show, can choose a quick short cut over to Indy and Star Tours (or leave the park), or towards the Chinese Theater and head back to Toy Story. Creating the fork for an exit will hopefully give people an outlet to travel so they aren't forced to go back into as much oncoming traffic.

Option 2 is much more expensive...
make%2Bit%2Bwork%2B2.jpg

Basically an entire new 'Toontown' land based on the Roger Rabbit style LA Toontown. DHS needs more kid friendly rides, and especially a water ride. This will bring both, with a Roger Rabbit flume ride, and kiddie Mickey and Friends locations, Mickey's House, Donald's boat, Chip and Dale's Treehouse, etc. It will also make sense why Mickey and Minnie are on their way to Hollywood Studios...to visit Toontown.
953c2630c12f437b6245a701f6e443f6.jpg

In regard to traffic control....now Sunset is no longer a one-way street, but one of many streets in a makeshift trapezoid shape in this section of the park.

Now there are several routes one can take exiting Fantasmic/Tower/RnRC, including an overflow route for Fantasmic viewers that is only accessible after-hours and for capacity flow reasons if necessary.

Fun thread idea! Interested to see what others come up with!:)

Just because I love this idea, I'd like to make a recommendation for an addition ride wise.

DQXxexYW4AE3tUS.jpg:large

I know nothing about this ride except for this piece of concept art and I love it. And with having the "behind-the-scenes" aspects of it, it'd fit in DHS perfectly.

No Name

I like the thread idea. I don't have the fancy editing stuff you guys have, so forgive me. Or purchase fancy editing stuff for me.

makeitwork1.PNG

Hopefully the purple dot (Toy Story Land) will one day connect to the blue dot. There's a lot of room back there that could be used for multiple expansions, so I wouldn't want them to waste space by trying to connect the two too soon. That's a long-term thing. For now, I'd make a path from the fuschia dot (animation courtyard or building) to the blue dot. At the end of that street, there could be a recreation of the Hollywoodland sign on the hill.

I'm imagining a romanticized 40s version of this picture.
bc9097125b0f0e152cf6febac4b362be--hollywood-hills-hollywood-sign.jpg

Edit: I ought to do a better job of reading directions. Oh well. I'll revise tomorrow.
Edit2: Okay I'd just dig a tunnel for access to Sunset Ranch Market.

Last edited:

Magic Feather

Original Poster
Rivers of Tight
When Creating Rivers of Light, Imagineering was tasked with creating a seating area for this spectacular, Imagineering came up with a small, low capacity, unideal seating area. When the Jammin' Jungle Parade occured, barely any seating was available along the parade route. The Tree of Life Awakening Viewing area gets clogged even with the large swath of concrete in front of the Tree of Life so...

How and Where could a large scale entertainment option occur in Animal Kingdom?

It is up to you to:
image.jpeg

No Name

I assume the silence is because it's a tough question. A lot of easy options involve a building a dedicated theater or getting rid of more trees and I didn't want to do either. I also wanted to fill a void. So...

makeitwork2.PNG

This parade travels through the water instead of on land. The main viewing area would be the Rivers of Light theater, but people can view from the bridges, the new Harambe theater district, and other areas where the river is visible, so long as it doesn't cause an issue. This would be a huge success, I tell you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom