Making a DVD?

WDW/SFOG_freak

Original Poster
How do you make a dvd video (with menues and what not) with ONLY Windows XP Home, and no outside programs... or is that not possible?

hosewater

I am almost 100% sure that this is an impossible task without the assistance of outside programs.

I use Sonic Foundry's DVD Architect.

Maybe someone else knows how to do it, but I'm pretty sure you can't.

EJ

NowInc

Literally impossible without the outside aid of another program...

I use propriatary software for my DVD projects that give me more control over menu asthetics as well as letting me program random menu styles, and an output with a higher bitrate to prevent piratng.

There are pleanty of DVD authoring programs available to purchase...most of them will be more than satisfactory for what you want to do.

WDW/SFOG_freak

Original Poster
Which program would be the best one... I need one that will alow me to do animated menues andc animated menu-backgrounds... along with showing the chapters in the scene selection menues and what not as little movie clips..., lets see... basicly one like the pros (Disney, Screen Gems, Columbia Tristar...etc) use, lol.. And if you can I would also like some ones that are close to this one, but are more on the cheap side, lol.

:hammer:

NowInc

To do menus like "the pros" do it..you would need to go to school and learn about it. Its not smoething thats very easy to do. Most "consumer level" programs all run the same way..and will give you adequate tools for what you want to do..but dont expect a "disney quality" DVD menu unless you have extensive knoledge of: How DVDs work, how to program, how to animate for DVD output (for the menus), How to get around certain limitations, and how to assembly a very complex "tree" of commands.

WDW John

Originally posted by WDW/SFOG_freak
Which program would be the best one... I need one that will alow me to do animated menues andc animated menu-backgrounds... along with showing the chapters in the scene selection menues and what not as little movie clips..., lets see... basicly one like the pros (Disney, Screen Gems, Columbia Tristar...etc) use, lol..

If you want to do it right there is no "one" program to do all of this for you. Generally you need a few. One to capture, edit and encode your video, another to create still menus (like Photoshop), yet another for compositing to create motion menus, and finally the DVD authoring program.

And if you can I would also like some ones that are close to this one, but are more on the cheap side, lol.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that you can make DVDs like the pros on the cheap. The few you listed above are probably using authoring software that alone cost over $20,000. Sonic Scenarist comes to mind.

However, there are VERY capable authoring packages out there that come relatively inexpensive. Adobe just annouced Encore and Apple just announced DVD Studio Pro 2, both will be availabe some time this summer for $499.

Remember, that's just for authoring, menu and video apps add to that.

Originally posted by NowInc
I use propriatary software for my DVD projects that give me more control over menu asthetics as well as letting me program random menu styles, and an output with a higher bitrate to prevent piratng

I'm curious as to why you would want a HIGHER bitrate. Generally, the lower the bitrate you can achieve and keep acceptable quality the better off you are. With too high a bitrate DVD players will just choke on the data stream (not to mention it's more limiting).

Cheers,

WDW/SFOG_freak

Original Poster
ROFLMAO...

Sorry about that... I didn't mean to let y'all think that I was thinking cheap was about 500 US dollors! I ment cheap as in $20,000 or around that.... I plan to start saving up as soon as I get all the other things I need for video production... like a GOOD 2,000 dollor or higher computer with the best of the best (hand built buy me..), and a set of cameras which will run from $1,000 or higher... and I know this is sounding like I'm crazy or something... but just know that I know this is going to take DECADES to save... lol. I want to someday make my own LITTLE movie studio... but that probly won't be paid in full untill i'm like in my late 40's or 50's, lol.

(I know good quality stuff costs...

video cameras - $30,000 and MUCH higher

actors - in the millions... (this is prety much where companies like pepsi and what not come in)

professional crew - yet again, in the millions, and this is yet again where companies like coke, and kodak, and many others would come in... and by "come in" I mean going to them, presenting your script and praying that they like it, presenting to them who's already signed to be in it and who you would like to also be in it, how much it is to cost, and lots more stuff like this... and IF they like it, then they sponsor you with some money... but probly not all the money you need, which is why multiple sponsors back alot of movies... heh..

a good company like TriStar or what not backing the dvd and vhs production wouldn't hurt either... lol...)

So in the end... It will probly just end up with me still working under a company like Screen Gems (Resident Evil, my favorit movie of ALL time), or what not.. But I always shoot for the stars, heh...

:king:

WDW John

Originally posted by WDW/SFOG_freak
I didn't mean to let y'all think that I was thinking cheap was about 500 US dollors! I ment cheap as in $20,000 or around that...

Sorry for the confusion, but, when I saw your first post about making DVDs with ONLY Windows XP and nothing else I just got the wrong impression. I didn't realize that you meant "only Windows XP AND a multi-million dollar post suite, effects, film crew, sound design, authoring house" and 30 years from now.

My mistake.

NowInc

Originally posted by WDW John
[B

I'm curious as to why you would want a HIGHER bitrate. Generally, the lower the bitrate you can achieve and keep acceptable quality the better off you are. With too high a bitrate DVD players will just choke on the data stream (not to mention it's more limiting).

Cheers, [/B]

Harder for people to rip/pirate them ;)

NowInc

Originally posted by WDW John
Not trying to be stupid here, but, why is it harder?

Typically..to copy a DVD..the contents would have to be temporarly stored on the computer...the higher the bitrate..the larger of a file it is...

Its not an "end all" solution..but a good deterrant for those who less than 10 gigs HD space free.

DisneyJedi

For what is to be an excellant, affordable DVD authoring/creation package, check out DVDLab: http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html
I'm in a group that works with digital video ripped from satellite receivers and this DVDLab has been quite the rave there. There was a beta preview release link posted, but it isn't working anymore. I didn't notice the link on first glance on the website, but it must be around there somewhere. You might want to give it a try. From that webpage there it looks interesting. The intro price is $79 which sounds reasonable. If I had a DVD burner I would be more inclined to try it. For now I am just going to research this app and see if it is going to do what I want it to.

DisneyJedi

Found it!

"The latest update is 0421, you can download it from
http://www.mediachance.com/files/dvdlabup0421.exe

it is a full install only without background, sounds and some html help, so if you don't have the original dvdlab10.exe you don't need it."

The original is the one with the link I had that wasn't working, so if you can find that, you'll have it all before release. Though it sounds like one to buy after reading all it can do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom