Major Problem with new Annual Passes

allknowingeye

Original Poster
Despite all the drama in this post, how exactly did you expect Disney to know on what date you intended to activate your pass in order to allow reservations more than 12 months after it’s purchase? Until you activate it, the expiration is one year from the purchase date which is 100% reasonable.
In the past and even now in many cases the expiry date on the pass voucher was 2099. Many people who bought AP's this week got 2099 and some got 2022. It was random with no explanation. Whether it is 100% reasonable or not is not for you to determine. As there has been no change in the underlying expiry rules I expected no change in way it would work. The fact is if you buy separate tickets you can make these park reservations, with an AP voucher that is stuck at 2022 you cannot.

Amazing the people think it is up to them to pass judgement on when someone should make a reservation. They haven't seem to yet clue in to the fact that if you try to make a park reservation on Sept. 1 2022 for Oct. 2022 IT WILL FAIL because of this issue. They also seem to have not read the provided information that Guest Service also sees this as an issue.

Many people plan a year or two in advance as it a major undertaking travelling halfway around the world and you need to know you are getting what you pay for. Many people in the UK for example purchase 2 years in advance.

allknowingeye

Original Poster
I agree with this. No one needs to book reservations more than a year out. APs are for a year, so they give you a year. We are lucky they are willing to let us hold on to the vouchers a full year, too, before asking for more money.
Not for you to say how far anyone should book in advance. We are not lucky they give us a year. All AP vouchers which is what you get when you purchase online in the past have been dated for 2099, and very many this week were also dated 2099. And Guest Services is confused about this was being changed at random and was enquiring we other departments to have his corrected. Most experienced Disney visitors know full well you must be plan ahead to get reasonable rooms prices at busy times.

ToTBellHop

Not for you to say how far anyone should book in advance. We are not lucky they give us a year. All AP vouchers which is what you get when you purchase online in the past have been dated for 2099, and very many this week were also dated 2099. And Guest Services is confused about this was being changed at random and was enquiring we other departments to have his corrected. Most experienced Disney visitors know full well you must be plan ahead to get reasonable rooms prices at busy times.
No AP holders have ever been able to book reservations further than a year in advance, as this is the first time they are selling passes with park reservations in use. Trying to assign the rules of the past to the new system is a fool’s errand.

No one is being allowed to make reservations more than a year in advance. Disney has been very clear on this—you now have up to a year to activate if you want them to honor the price paid. Upon activation, you can then book for the next 366 days.

You are right that this isn’t for me to say. Disney has said. Their rules. Abide or ask for a refund.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Laughing :). DW & I are perfectly happy with our old, un-redeemed GP expiration of 2030-ish :). By then? We would be close to 80. 2099? Nope, not going to WDW at about 150 :).

evenstephan

No AP holders have ever been able to book reservations further than a year in advance, as this is the first time they are selling passes with park reservations in use. Trying to assign the rules of the past to the new system is a fool’s errand.

No one is being allowed to make reservations more than a year in advance. Disney has been very clear on this—you now have up to a year to activate if you want them to honor the price paid. Upon activation, you can then book for the next 366 days.

You are right that this isn’t for me to say. Disney has said. Their rules. Abide or ask for a refund
There is an odd exception. My AP expired in early June of this year. Last November, after successfully booking a DVC room for the 50th Anniversary weekend, I called the DVC office, and they were able to sell me an AP renewal certificate (the stated expiration date of which was, and still is as of this moment, December 31st, 2030). I was then able to not only make park reservations for the 50th Anniversary Weekend (10+ months in advance, though not from the AP bucket as I had a room reservation), but shortly thereafter, I was able to make a reservation for EPCOT's 40th Anniversary, October 1st, 2022. That park reservation is not linked to any resort stay, and thus comes out of my AP allotment. It gets tricky in that when the time came to renew my AP earlier this year, I elected not to use this certificate, but to pay to renew the AP again (I did so at the ticketing office at Disney Springs, and the CM understood exactly what I was trying to do from the moment I explained things). This renewal bumped out the expiry date of my pass to June of 2022, but I still have a platinum/Incredi-pass renewal certificate with an expiry date of 2030. I did this weird thing for two reasons - one is that I knew APs would never decrease in value, and that I was locking in a renewal price that was good for the next nine years, but also because as long as that renewal sat there with that date, that the park reservation system would presumably let me make park reservations as I wished, as long as they fit within the other criteria (e.g., number of other AP reservations). It's a very, very odd situation, and I don't think it negates your larger point, but it is technically possible to both make and hold AP reservations for more than a year out.

allknowingeye

Original Poster

You are right that this isn’t for me to say. Disney has said. Their rules. Abide or ask for a refund.
You are completely incorrect. Anyone with hotel reservations and stand alone tickets can book park reservations all the way to Christmas 2022. Disney has had there say and THEY SAY YOU CAN. Try for it yourself. The system is full till until the end of 2022, bookings with AP's beyond Sept.7 2020 fail only because they are not recognized as tickets after that date. Regular tickets you can book all you want and I have done and tested as such.

ToTBellHop

You are completely incorrect. Anyone with hotel reservations and stand alone tickets can book park reservations all the way to Christmas 2022. Disney has had there say and THEY SAY YOU CAN. Try for it yourself. The system is full till until the end of 2022, bookings with AP's beyond Sept.7 2020 fail only because they are not recognized as tickets after that date. Regular tickets you can book all you want and I have done and tested as such.
AP holders do not book from the Resort Guest pool. They book from the AP pool (or the AP with Resort Reservation pool). Neither of those will work more than a year out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom