MainStreet Athletics Reopens After AMAZING Rehab

Main Street USA

Ha, well, I was joking about the A & F reference, but all joking aside, they are incredibly overpriced, and are ripping people off without even trying to hide it.

ballewclan

mousermerf said:
I still stop strangers to tell them that it's not fashionable, whoever told them so is a big fat stupid liar, and they need to stop.

No one listens and a few people have taken offense... I mean, i'm just trying to save them some dignity, you think they'd appreciate it.

I don't think people wear their collars popped because someone told them it was fashionable, and just who does get to decide whats fashionable these days? You?

I wear what I like...and if someone told me to unpop my collar and I did, that's what I call losing my dignity.

I'm not trying to diminish your view that popped collars are unfashionable, I just don't think its right to impose your view on someone else when they obviously wear what they want.

CMickeyEars

No, trust me the dime baseball machine was in that store!!! It was right up next to the windows just inside the doors. It was sort of out of the way which DS loved because he didn't have to share it!!!

Carla

Hurricane

ballewclan said:
Did they have stylish A&F stores during the turn of the century? :hammer:

Actually they did, A&F (which was founded in 1882) was a sporting goods outfitter at the turn of the century. If I recall they outfitted Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. However it was bought by Limited in the late 80's and its current incarnation bears little resemblance to the original.

ballewclan

Hurricane said:
Actually they did, A&F (which was founded in 1882) was a sporting goods outfitter at the turn of the century. If I recall they outfitted Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders. However it was bought by Limited in the late 80's and its current incarnation bears little resemblance to the original.

Yeah I know, it was more of a rhetorical question, I didn't know they were bought by Limited though...

Ever seen a picture of the company president? All I have to say is just because you run the company...doesnt mean you have to wear all A&F. He wears what he likes though!

Chape19714

A&F did outfit Teddy Roosevelt during his rough rider days. I don't think they outfitted the entire army of rough riders, I could be wrong. Just an FYI, Roosevelt's outfit did not have a moose on it. :lol:

Lee

Adventurer
Hurricane said:
However it was bought by Limited in the late 80's and its current incarnation bears little resemblance to the original.
Yeah...they screwed it up...almost as bad as GAP has RUINED Banana Republic. :fork: :brick: :mad:

ISTCrew20

Original Poster
Well ok then...I thought it looked great. The old store used a dingy orange and green color scheme, was cramped, and it was hard to find anything. I am really hoping some of the negative comments were based only on my BAD pictures. I'm sure once you see it in person, it will look much better to you.

ballewclan

ISTCrew20 said:
Well ok then...I thought it looked great. The old store used a dingy orange and green color scheme, was cramped, and it was hard to find anything. I am really hoping some of the negative comments were based only on my BAD pictures. I'm sure once you see it in person, it will look much better to you.

Does it still have that old-countryclub-sportish-lodge feeling, just updated? Maybe I just have to get use to it.

LaughingGravy

Anyone remember?

Does anyone on this forum remember when that space used to have glow-in-the-dark skulls, fake-sponge-granite rocks, "invisible dog" leashes, rubber masks and Adams magic tricks?

Yes, I still miss the magic shop.
Main Street Athletic Club. Harrumph.

Chux

The first day of my last trip (Still in my sig) We walked through the emporium down Main Street, and I was getting excited to see what New Jerseys they had (At last count I had a Mickey hockey jersey, the NBX Baseball, Chernabog Football, Goofy Baseball) then was so distraught when it was down for refurbishment. We went to downtown disney and I picked up the Incredibles Baseball jersey, and Pirates Football jersey... I almost have one for each day of the week :).

JEDIsney

ballewclan said:
I don't think people wear their collars popped because someone told them it was fashionable, and just who does get to decide whats fashionable these days? You?

I wear what I like...and if someone told me to unpop my collar and I did, that's what I call losing my dignity.

I'm not trying to diminish your view that popped collars are unfashionable, I just don't think its right to impose your view on someone else when they obviously wear what they want.
Thank you very much for saving me a post. I didn't want to get anyone annoyed from what I had planned on saying, and you said it in a much nicer way than I would have. :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
LaughingGravy said:
Does anyone on this forum remember when that space used to have glow-in-the-dark skulls, fake-sponge-granite rocks, "invisible dog" leashes, rubber masks and Adams magic tricks?

Yes, I still miss the magic shop.
Main Street Athletic Club. Harrumph.
Yes, I too miss the magic shop. Yet Disney felt that it was not to be enjoyed by us anymore. :(

I always felt that it added more MAGIC to the Magic Kingdom.

a2grafix

mousermerf said:
I still stop strangers to tell them that it's not fashionable, whoever told them so is a big fat stupid liar, and they need to stop.

No one listens and a few people have taken offense... I mean, i'm just trying to save them some dignity, you think they'd appreciate it.

hey! I resemble that remark! I am a child of the 1970s that graduated high school in the late 1980s. Flip-up collars were all the rage and it's cool some 20 years now that when I wear a polo or golf shirt to work I get the "flip / pop collar" remark, even though I don't flip my collar up -- that much ;).

Anyway, is the magic shop still on Main Street? If not, what exactly did happen to the main street shops between 1993 and now? It's been some time since I have been to WDW.

I see now that the magic shop is gone. So, did this athletic club replace it? Sorry if this topic has been discussed here ad infinitum. Anyone have a nice short summary of main street between 1993-2006?

year45

As someone who works on that side of the street, I can tell you that is does have that department store look. But the lighting and the new spacious look is just so nice to see, its just so much bigger. Alot of the sports themeing was lost in this rehab, its now more country club than it was. The sports fixtures, figures and games/movies are now gone and that annoying music has been turned down to a minimal volume. But we all seem to like it. The big ribbon cutting and official opening is later this morning. Here is hoping they continue this quality of work, with the rumored Emporium rehab soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom