Main Street Gallery closing!!

kennyj29

I honestly would like to see a lot of other things close first but it seems like a little thing compared to say COP or POC or something like that. I love to walk the Main Street shops, it's one of my favorite things to do but I've been to the one at the shopping area and that has a lot of neat stuff also. Look in there when you go it really isn't too bad!

Hank Scorpio

If no-one ever went there and it was always empty - why keep it open?

Disney think about the masses, not the odd one in 500 that goes in there. It's a shame, but fact none the less.

Also, I agree with Kenny. You just know that in 20 years time when they close attractions like Winnie The Pooh & Buzz Lightyear - someone will complain then as well! :zipit:

Bayou_Tigerfan

The stores on Main Street have always existed for the purpose of making money. If one of them isn't accomplishing that, it makes sense for WDW to close it and open one that does.

I'm with Kenny. Go to DTD or MGM and buy all the art you want.

BradleyJ

What I find funny about this thread, of peopel bemoaning the closing of a shop.

I wonder, if these same people were complaining that they closed the Bank and turned it into a Giftshop.

netenyahoo

I go to Disneyland more often than WDW and I'm amazed at the differences between the two parks' Main Streets. DL doesn't have a gallery on Main Strret, but that is in New Orleans Square above Pirates. It is usually pretty busy as they change the exhibits in it periodically. Why don't they do that with the one at MK? DL also has a bank and it sounds like MK used to have one. I enjoy DL's Main Street a little more than MK's. I like the spot at DL where you can sit in a chair and watch the crowds from the fake store front.

FormerCM

Original Poster
IT"S DEFINITE!!

One of the cast emailed me today, it's final they are asking the full timers what their location preferences are when they close. Still haven't given them a date yet.

They maybe other stores like it but it's one of the oldest ones One of the guys that works there has worked at Disney since it opened and has been in the shop since it was known as Disneyana. To top it off his name is Walt!!

That's sad!!!

CTXRover

FormerCM, do you know why they are deciding to close it? I always loved walking through here and will be sad to see it go. Has there been any announcement as to what, if anything, will replace it? Could this simply be another store closing like the one that is closing in Frontierland due to budget cuts and could re-open when the economy/attendance picks back up? IMHO, the "Galleries" at Epcot and MGM are better than the MK one. Could this be a reason for its closure (in order to expand/refurbish it)? I am not sure what type of merchandise they could put in there that you couldn't find elsewhere on Main Street. Anyone have any ideas?

Bagheera

I'm sure that they're going to try to turn the east side of the street into another EmporiuMall, just like when they gutted all of the unique shops on the west side of the street and later built that horrible annex over Center Street. It's going to be Emporium Street by the time they're done. Can't have enough display space for the plush!!!! :( :hurl:

FormerCM

Original Poster
Final date March 15th!!

:( The cast was told it is definitely closing on March 15th.

The cast isn't even being told why they are doing it. He said they may just leave it empty.

They won't be remodelling it because they spent a fortune when they opened it in that location and that's only been about 5 years ago.

They also heard arribas brothers is leaving the castle. So the cast thinks they are going to close one shop in each land. The whole park is slow, but closing shops won't get people to come back!!

THERE KILLING MAIN STREET
LETS REVIEW!!!
Early 90's-Main street firehouse, a cool place to get your picture on the fire truck, becomes a store.
Mid-90's-They take the cinimena, probley the most famous thing on main street, and make it a shop
within the last year-THey Can the Main street Rythem Rascals, and attempt to give the dapper Dans microphones.

MAIN STREET IS 1901, not 2003, everything back then wasent a shop, they need to stick with tradional disnyana Main Street. Does Anyone Find it Crasy that DL Main Street Has Barley been touched in 48 years???

JLW11Hi

What confuses me is why they decided to close just this one. Why would the MK shop be the only one lacking attendance? I think it might be because its kinda hidden out of the way of the other shops. But then couldn't they just move it to somewhere else down the main part of main Street?

Whenever I go there, I see people looking around in there. Mabey they just dont get very much business. But then, I have to wonder about other shops, like the one with all the little glass figurines. I mean, do they get many customers that dont just go in there to browse and leave right away without buying anything? The prices in the glass shop get to be pretty high, so that wouldnt surprise me if they get very low business. Plus, think of all the people that dont buy anything there in fear of breaking it or losing it during the rest of their stay. Now why wouldnt a place like that close along with the Gallery? Heck, even without business, its still a nice place to browse. Mabey they do plan to move it? I know that store, compared to the others, is quite small.

Im not going nuts because they are closing the store, but to be honest, this is the only shop I go to on Main Street, and its kinda like, "Why this one?".

Well, whatever. It would be hard to see what they could fit in that tiny building after they close the gallery.

FormerCM

Original Poster
The cast isn't be told why. I can tell you that they have no where else to move it they have moved too much and that is half the problem. There are no signs as to where it is, and if you ask the cast half of them know NOTHING about it at all.

I can tell you that the glass shop is NOT Disney!! That space is rented out, to arribas brothers if I remember right. Which means as long as they make the money in rent, disney will not get rid of them.

Also, people say the gallery is always dead. But there are many reasons for that. I worked there for three years and I have to tell you at night most of the time it's busy. During the day it is slow but all shop are usually. Who wants to shop in the beginning of their vacation. Rides are first!!

As a cast we always complained they never had any signs for the shop. But what would the cast know!!

The cast and I agree hopefully the general public will really start to complain about all the shutdowns of stores and rides and maybe they will really think before closing things.

Fido

Originally posted by FormerCM
Also, people say the gallery is always dead. But there are many reasons for that. I worked there for three years and I have to tell you at night most of the time it's busy. During the day it is slow but all shop are usually. Who wants to shop in the beginning of their vacation. Rides are first

And don't forget that it's to the left RIGHT when you exit the train station/entrance to Main Street. If you take two steps toward all of the other cool stuff that's drawing you in (Cinderella Castle, anyone?), you already missed it! You have to be winding your day down shopping in Main Street before you actually stumble upon it in most cases.

SKYWAY 4 ME

MY JAW HAS DROPPED !

I am SO DISSAPOINTED ! It was my favorite store to go in when We first would enter the park . It was truly the one place you could buy a piece of disney history or a numbered artwork . WOW
I had bought many items there including an anniversary gift by phone !:veryconfu

Fido

Re: MY JAW HAS DROPPED !

Originally posted by SKYWAY 4 ME
I am SO DISSAPOINTED ! It was my favorite store to go in when We first would enter the park . It was truly the one place you could buy a piece of disney history or a numbered artwork . WOW
I had bought many items there including an anniversary gift by phone !:veryconfu

I agree, but don't forget that you will still be able to buy the same things at Epcot and DD, etc.

Hank Scorpio

Originally posted by Fido
And don't forget that it's to the left RIGHT when you exit the train station/entrance to Main Street. If you take two steps toward all of the other cool stuff that's drawing you in (Cinderella Castle, anyone?), you already missed it! You have to be winding your day down shopping in Main Street before you actually stumble upon it in most cases.

Perhaps its because of the location then - that it's always poorly visited.

Disney should look into making visitors a bit more aware that there is a gallery on main street, before giving up with it altogether!

FormerCM

Original Poster
Originally posted by Hank Scorpio
Perhaps its because of the location then - that it's always poorly visited.

Disney should look into making visitors a bit more aware that there is a gallery on main street, before giving up with it altogether!

I worked there for 3 years and we complained but they just don't listen to the cast. Problem is they keep moving what people call collectibles into other stores on Main Street. Uptown jewelers carries the classic collection, lenox, and many more items they carry in the gallery. So of course no one would even be looking for the store. I honestly think they have been moving towards this for more than 2 years.

Mr. Toad

I will be sad to see the gallery go since it is one of my favorite shops in the MK. My biggest concern is that it will be replaced with another t-shrit/clothing shop.

FormerCM

Original Poster
For everyone who wanted to know. It is official they are closing March 15th. The managers were in the shop today they are moving package pickup to the gallery's location. They are not definite when that will open in that spot though.

SL 1993R

that's too bad its closing... I stumbled across the shop a few years ago when I was last there... it really was out of the way, unless you were looking for it..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom