Main St scrims

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
Friends of ours landed this morning and sent us a pic from Main St and there is a huge scrim up on the right side (facing the castle). I thought all the Main St refurbs were finished.

What is still being worked on? Is it still the Plaza Ice Cream shop?

captainkidd

I posted this on another thread, but since this is my biggest pet peeve, I'll paste it here:

It was there in February. No idea when it will be completed.

I know some are going to call this another Disney-bash post, and I suppose it is. I get Rome wasn't built in a day, and yes, I like that Disney is maintaining the high standards we've all come to expect from them. But this is my 1 big pet peeve with Disney that I just do not understand. I've said it before - I have seen brand new strip malls built from the ground up and stores inside that strip mall open in the time that scrim has been up on the Main Street Bakery. There is no other excuse for this work not being done yet other than Disney being cheap. And please, nobody post here about "You're not a contractor, you don't know how much work needed to be done." It's common sense. I get it - Disney is a business, but a big part of that business is show. And the show looks AWFUL. It's ugly, inconvenient, and it blocks out all viewing of Main Street while inside the bakery. It's been up for at least 4 months now!!! Come on....

sgtmgd

I concur...there is really no excuse for a 4 month refurb of the bakery...you could literally build one from scratch in that time

jlevis

I concur...there is really no excuse for a 4 month refurb of the bakery...you could literally build one from scratch in that time

Well, on Haggerty Rd and Five Mile road in Northville, MI they have been building a bakery, from scratch, for 2 years. Went by yesterday and it looks like they should be done soon. Of course, we do have winter to deal with. Although last winter was non-existant.

Well, on Haggerty Rd and Five Mile road in Northville, MI they have been building a bakery, from scratch, for 2 years. Went by yesterday and it looks like they should be done soon. Of course, we do have winter to deal with. Although last winter was non-existant.

True story. I went to Schoolcraft College and drove by there every day.

John

True story. I went to Schoolcraft College and drove by there every day.

Not sure how this is relavent other then the fact that they are building a bakery. I am in the construction buisness and we dont know the details of either construction project. What we do know is that we can safely assume Disney has whatever financial resources it needs to rebuild the bakery in a timely manor. Is four months reasonable? IMO...no. I know of a couple companies that have totally remodeled stores in 72 hrs. Were they Bakeries?...no. But I would think that the basic infrastructure is already in place. Any cosmetic needs can be done quickly. As in any construction undertaking planning is the key. All your counters and other fixtures are preconstructed before any scrim is ever in place. All ovens, proofers and other baking equipment should be on premises and in storage so there are no delays. If the entire process is orchestrated properly and effeciently I see no reason it could have been done in less then half the time.

Lets remember that there was a time in the not so distant past that the entire WDW resort was decorated for the Christmas holidays in ONE night. To me that is a greater feat of planning and execution then the refurb of one Bakery. It all depends on how much resolve you have to get the job done. Disney has the resources...Do they have the resolve is the question.

Tim_4

This isn't just changing the light bulbs and touching up some paint. There were major structural issues at the bakery, specifically the roof (side note, the same was true at BTMRR's loading platform). People forget that these buildings are 40 plus years old. Sometimes they don't even know what needs to be done in a project until they start ripping things apart and see what's underneath.

I_heart_Tigger

Local contractors just refurbed an 80 year old 4.5 story house in 3 weeks including new foundation, roof, plumbing, heating, insulation, windows, and support beams. Anyone know what could possibly require 4 months of work on the bakery?

HookEmHorns

I'm curious, will they move on to the adjacent building after the bakery? And I wonder if they will have the cover removed in time for their June "Summer" extensions of park hours etc, when they expect the largest crowds to start flooding the parks.

John

This isn't just changing the light bulbs and touching up some paint. There were major structural issues at the bakery, specifically the roof (side note, the same was true at BTMRR's loading platform). People forget that these buildings are 40 plus years old. Sometimes they don't even know what needs to be done in a project until they start ripping things apart and see what's underneath.

I can assume you either intimately know of the specifics of the project or you have read the filed permits? Any such structural issues would have needed a permit. Does anyone know of any permits filed for the bakery?

Being a 40 yr old structure has little to do with the ability to fix ANY problems with the building. Once again, If Disney had the resolve to fix the issues it can be done.... Yes we do not know exactly what the issues are, but like anything else. With enough money anything can be accomplished. There could be other issues that are prolonging the construction process but will refrain discussing them as not to offend anyone who might be listening.

MaryJaneP

"Holmes on Homes", "Property Brothers", or, better yet, "Income Property" would have the entire project done right and in less time than 4+ months. It would actually be a pretty cool idea to have an episode in WDW.

I_heart_Tigger

"Holmes on Homes", "Property Brothers", or, better yet, "Income Property" would have the entire project done right and in less time than 4+ months. It would actually be a pretty cool idea to have an episode in WDW.

It would be a cool episode however I don't think Disney would be thrilled at the part where they tear open a wall and find a bunch of dead cats, lead, faulty wiring or shoddy workmanship and we all know that has to happen in every episode :lol:

AswaySuller

Local contractors just refurbed an 80 year old 4.5 story house in 3 weeks including new foundation, roof, plumbing, heating, insulation, windows, and support beams. Anyone know what could possibly require 4 months of work on the bakery?

Making the fake cookie smell just right!

captainkidd

Six 1-armed high school students would have it done in less time.

The question to me isn't "Should this be done already?" There's no question about that. It should have been done more than 3 months ago. The question is, what the heck is going on?

1.Do they have 1 person working for an hour a day?
2.Did they plan on doing the work, put the scrim up, and just not get around to it yet?
3.Did they put the scrim up and have yet another cutback, putting the project on hold, while at the same time, not caring enough to take the hideous (and inconvenient) scrim down?

Dads 2 Boys

Original Poster
Six 1-armed high school students would have it done in less time.

The question to me isn't "Should this be done already?" There's no question about that. It should have been done more than 3 months ago. The question is, what the heck is going on?

1.Do they have 1 person working for an hour a day?
2.Did they plan on doing the work, put the scrim up, and just not get around to it yet?
3.Did they put the scrim up and have yet another cutback, putting the project on hold, while at the same time, not caring enough to take the hideous (and inconvenient) scrim down?

Yup...you got it. :hammer: Disney doesn't give a damn about their guests and just wants to inconvenient them and ruin their Main St. pictures. They specifically want to annoy you! :brick:

Really? Some of you have some serious issues. :shrug:

captainkidd

Yup...you got it. :hammer: Disney doesn't give a damn about their guests and just wants to inconvenient them and ruin their Main St. pictures. They specifically want to annoy you! :brick:

Really? Some of you have some serious issues. :shrug:

Where did I say any of that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom