Maid Marian in Parks?

brb1006

I don't remember if Marian is specifically named as a princess in the movie, but being the niece of a reigning monarch (King Richard) would allow her to use the title...

...and how exactly a fox could be the niece of a lion is another matter entirely.
Don't think about it to hard. ;)

brb1006

I wonder if there are other photos of Marian that exists online back when she was spotted at WDW and DL decades ago? Besides some posted in this thread

MaidMarianFan

I remember seeing marian on a seesaw in the Disneyland mainstreet emporium with robin (not merch/character) on a display whilst browsing google, I can provide an image if needed.

nickys

Premium Member
I don't remember if Marian is specifically named as a princess in the movie, but being the niece of a reigning monarch (King Richard) would allow her to use the title...

...and how exactly a fox could be the niece of a lion is another matter entirely.
Being the niece of a monarch does not entitle you to be a princess, nor use the title princess.

A princess will either be:
- the daughter of a reigning monarch
- the grand-daughter or great grand-daughter of a reigning monarch where the child’s father is a prince or occasionally where the title is bestowed by the reigning monarch
- the wife of a prince if the title has been bestowed by the reigning monarch

The grand-daughter thing may be changed I guess; they have changed the primogeniture rules so they might look at that one too.

Last edited:

Robbiem

I remember meeting her and robin in the uk at epcot around 1989ish although meeting geisha minnie In Japan was more exciting at the time!

MaidMarianFan

Curious to see that specific photo.
Took me at least 20 minutes to find it again after revisiting this forum, Image credit to drj1828 on flickr

Attachments

• mariandisplay.JPG
    mariandisplay.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 89

MaidMarianFan

Also, The reason marian wasnt included in the princess lineup was because robin hood at the time (at least from what I've heard of) it didn't do well

MaidMarianFan

Ive come back with two new discoveries
(even though its found on the wikia page of her, I'm the one who made the discovery) The maid marian shown before in this thread wasn't the only one, there are 3 variants. The cone hat variant was made during the mid 80s while the one with the correct hennin was made during the mid 90s torwards the end of her appearances, the first variant that was presented before was made a few years after the films release and was mass-produced for other parks which is why shes seen more often than the variants shown below
1630333482233.png
1630333551223.png

Namaari

I remember getting hers and Robin Hood's autograph/photo way back in the 90s. (Anyone remember those red autograph books??) Robin Hood signed his with a bow and arrow incorporated into his signature, and I think Maid Marian had a flower and heart or something like that.

1630335072049.png

ppete1975

You know with Disney+ being a thing now. I wonder if they will use streaming as a merchandise pusher. Its been almost 2 years now, they should have alot of data on how many times X movie or TV show has been streamed.

Although they will never make it public, it would be amazing to see what shows (expected and unexpected) have high watch rates and which ones have subpar to non existent (thinking of some of the live action movies such as snowball express).

I am sure that there are groups that are pouring over this data and seeing that "wow walle is more popular than we thought" or "have you seen how popular robin hood is". "Fox and the hound is in the top 10 streamed movies??!!"

To me this would lead to some forgotten or discarded movies or characters making a resurgence in the parks or at least merchandise.

Look at aristocats, the merch is super popular now, but 10 years ago i dont remember seeing any (it might have been there and i might have missed it)

brb1006

You know with Disney+ being a thing now. I wonder if they will use streaming as a merchandise pusher. Its been almost 2 years now, they should have alot of data on how many times X movie or TV show has been streamed.

Although they will never make it public, it would be amazing to see what shows (expected and unexpected) have high watch rates and which ones have subpar to non existent (thinking of some of the live action movies such as snowball express).

I am sure that there are groups that are pouring over this data and seeing that "wow walle is more popular than we thought" or "have you seen how popular robin hood is". "Fox and the hound is in the top 10 streamed movies??!!"

To me this would lead to some forgotten or discarded movies or characters making a resurgence in the parks or at least merchandise.

Look at aristocats, the merch is super popular now, but 10 years ago i dont remember seeing any (it might have been there and i might have missed it)
I remember Aristocats merchandise started to become very common in the early to mid 2000s (or even further to the mid 1990s).

brb1006

Ive come back with two new discoveries
(even though its found on the wikia page of her, I'm the one who made the discovery) The maid marian shown before in this thread wasn't the only one, there are 3 variants. The cone hat variant was made during the mid 80s while the one with the correct hennin was made during the mid 90s torwards the end of her appearances, the first variant that was presented before was made a few years after the films release and was mass-produced for other parks which is why shes seen more often than the variants shown below
View attachment 583491 View attachment 583493
Imagine how Maid Marian would have looked today? She would had looked more accurate to her movie design as Robin Hood did around the 2000s.

MaidMarianFan

Imagine how Maid Marian would have looked today? She would had looked more accurate to her movie design as Robin Hood did around the 2000s.
I do say she'd look alot better than the earlier variants shown (better than her looking as robin hood in drag from what ive seen, in some versions its just robin hood with eyelashes eyeshadow and a hat added!) but imo they do need to revamp the costumes again, im not very fond of the 2004 variation of robin hood, and from experience replicating maid marians hat is not an easy feat so i hope for the best

Last edited:

MaidMarianFan

I remember getting hers and Robin Hood's autograph/photo way back in the 90s. (Anyone remember those red autograph books??) Robin Hood signed his with a bow and arrow incorporated into his signature, and I think Maid Marian had a flower and heart or something like that.

View attachment 583496
Omg! Maid marians autograph is not found anywhere (not logged) im so happy to find out a description of it

Kev1982

Being the niece of a monarch does not entitle you to be a princess, nor use the title princess.

A princess will either be:
- the daughter of a reigning monarch
- the grand-daughter or great grand-daughter of a reigning monarch where the child’s father is a prince or occasionally where the title is bestowed by the reigning monarch
- the wife of a prince if the title has been bestowed by the reigning monarch

The grand-daughter thing may be changed I guess; they have changed the primogeniture rules so they might look at that one too.
Maybe a stupid question but in this case: how does Mulan fit in all of this?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom