Magical Express Questions

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
Alright. I'm breaking down and starting a new thread, as much as I hate doing this. I'm a follower, not a leader :)

On June 18, we're flying from Indiana to Orlando for a week stay at WDW. We're taking "advantage" of Magical Express. I've read up on it as much as I can, including other threads on here (yes, I did a search) but just want to clarify a few things one last time, since more people have had a chance to use it now:

1) How far in advance do you get the ME luggage tags in the mail, and how many do they send for each person?

2) I booked 3 packages all under my name, for the sake of simplicity and airline seating, etc. Thus, I have 3 rooms: 1 with me and my bro, and two others with couples we're going with. Where the heck is our luggage going to end up? All in my room?

3) Does POR have an airline check-in desk at the resort, so that we can bypass that at the Orlando airport when we leave? I knew that some did, at one time, but wasn't sure if they still did that. If so, where is it located at POR?

4) Any other tips from people who have used ME would be appreciated. I fear crap like this, because Murphy always shows his ugly face when I do anything new - and just flares up my anxiety....so, any help or guidance to help us thwart Murphy's evil plans would be wonderful!

brertigger

1. How early you get the tags depends on how early you schedule Magical Express. If you book it pretty early, the tags will come about 2 weeks before the trip. If you book at the last minute, the tags will probably come during your trip. (This is how long it took for mine to arrive--will probably be different for each person, depending on how busy Disney is, etc.) I do not remember how many tags Disney sends.

2. On the rooms, they will probably send you one package for each of the three rooms. My family recently booked two rooms and this is what Disney did. The tags from each package should be tied to the room associated to that package. Therefore, if you keep all the tags from each package together (for one room), the bags should go to the correct room, but who knows.

3. Not sure about POR. I haven't stayed there since Disney implemented Airline Checkin. I know All Star Movies and All Star Music have it, though. POR probably has it.

4. The best tip I can offer is to not use the ME tags on your bags. Instead, you can pick up the bags yourselves, like you would normally do (without ME), and take them to the bus yourself. If you rely on Disney picking up your bags, there is often up to a 3-4 hour delay in receiving your bags. Some guests have had bags lost and this only adds to the delay. Plus, you can make sure the airline got your bag to the airport OK. If your bag gets lost and Disney is bringing it for you, there are a very large number of locations it could be (somewhere at Orlando International, another airport, another aircraft, or somewhere on Disney property). If you bring the bags to the bus, they will be on your bus and you will have them immediately.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
brertigger said:
1. How early you get the tags depends on how early you schedule Magical Express. If you book it pretty early, the tags will come about 2 weeks before the trip. If you book at the last minute, the tags will probably come during your trip. (This is how long it took for mine to arrive--will probably be different for each person, depending on how busy Disney is, etc.) I do not remember how many tags Disney sends.

2. On the rooms, they will probably send you one package for each of the three rooms. My family recently booked two rooms and this is what Disney did. The tags from each package should be tied to the room associated to that package. Therefore, if you keep all the tags from each package together (for one room), the bags should go to the correct room, but who knows.

3. Not sure about POR. I haven't stayed there since Disney implemented Airline Checkin. I know All Star Movies and All Star Music have it, though. POR probably has it.

4. The best tip I can offer is to not use the ME tags on your bags. Instead, you can pick up the bags yourselves, like you would normally do (without ME), and take them to the bus yourself. If you rely on Disney picking up your bags, there is often up to a 3-4 hour delay in receiving your bags. Some guests have had bags lost and this only adds to the delay. Plus, you can make sure the airline got your bag to the airport OK. If your bag gets lost and Disney is bringing it for you, there are a very large number of locations it could be (somewhere at Orlando International, another airport, another aircraft, or somewhere on Disney property). If you bring the bags to the bus, they will be on your bus and you will have them immediately.

Wow, that seems handy to have my luggage tags be sitting in my mailbox here in Indiana while I'm halfway through my vacation in Orlando. Nonetheless, we booked MONTHS ago, so I would hope to have them here in a couple of weeks.

When the WDTC agent took all the names down, she apparently (in her infinite wisdom) split up the two other couples and put them in each others' rooms. No, I didn't specify who should be paired up in each room....but common sense says that you pair up the people with the same $*#&$ last names! Idiot! So, once I got all the stuff in the mail, I called back and said, "Hey, let's try putting the married people in rooms together, shall we?" And whoever I talked to said that it was too much effort, or couldn't be done because of air tickets, or some other BS. I argued that I KNEW that our luggage would end up in wrong rooms, or that charging privileges would end up on wrong credit cards, etc. They still were insistent on leaving the names and room assignments as-is. We'll obviously stay in whatever rooms we want - but I KNOW that luggage will either ALL end up in my room, since the 3 ressies are in my name, or that it'll end up split up between 3 random rooms.

So, it sounds like the best bet really would be to put our own luggage tags on, go get it from the carousel when we disembark, and load it onto the ME bus. DO many people do that - get their own luggage? Do they expect that when you show up at the bus kiosk?

And is there always a bus sitting there, ready - or do they send one when they know flights are coming in with WDW guests on them?

brertigger

Your tags should arrive in plenty of time.
Many people do get their own luggage. I just returned from a trip on May 8. When we rode the bus from MCO to All Star Movies, out of about 25 families, only one did not bring their bags themselves. The bus drivers are used to it and no one minds if you bring your bags yourself. There are usually busses sitting there, but dispatch tracks when flights with guests arrive and dispatch as needed. You will probably have to wait a little while for a bus to arrive (but probably not more than 5-10 minutes). Once you get on the bus, they usually wait until it is mostly full to depart for the resort.

You might be able to get the room situation resolved if you call reservations and ask for a supervisor. Surely someone at Disney will be able to correct that mess! You are right, the luggage probably would be randomly placed among the three rooms.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
brertigger said:
Your tags should arrive in plenty of time.
Many people do get their own luggage. I just returned from a trip on May 8. When we rode the bus from MCO to All Star Movies, out of about 25 families, only one did not bring their bags themselves. The bus drivers are used to it and no one minds if you bring your bags yourself. There are usually busses sitting there, but dispatch tracks when flights with guests arrive and dispatch as needed. You will probably have to wait a little while for a bus to arrive (but probably not more than 5-10 minutes). Once you get on the bus, they usually wait until it is mostly full to depart for the resort.

You might be able to get the room situation resolved if you call reservations and ask for a supervisor. Surely someone at Disney will be able to correct that mess! You are right, the luggage probably would be randomly placed among the three rooms.

Thanks for all your input. Unless others reply and overwhelmingly argue against taking my own luggage on the bus, I think we'll just grab it with the rest of the fools at the carousel! HA!

When I last talked to someone at WDTC and expressed my concerns about charging privileges being put on the wrong card, she informed me that since I booked all 3 rooms/packages, ALL of the room keys will charge to my Credit Card. Ugh! Just because I booked the packages doens't mean they have to tie them all to ME, forever. That's just.....stupid, in my opinion.

Anyone else have any input on this matter?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
edwardtc said:
Thanks for all your input. Unless others reply and overwhelmingly argue against taking my own luggage on the bus, I think we'll just grab it with the rest of the fools at the carousel! HA!

When I last talked to someone at WDTC and expressed my concerns about charging privileges being put on the wrong card, she informed me that since I booked all 3 rooms/packages, ALL of the room keys will charge to my Credit Card. Ugh! Just because I booked the packages doens't mean they have to tie them all to ME, forever. That's just.....stupid, in my opinion.

Anyone else have any input on this matter?

You should be able to designate which keys charge to which rooms at check-in. I've previously booked a single room for myself, my ex and DS. My ex wanted to put her own credit card on her key, but they wouldn't do that. The CM at the time said she could do different credit cards for different rooms...

That said, there's no guarantee the CM was right about that. :p

mayrag

Hey, I'm leaving in 5 days, and still have not received the Magical Express booklets. I have kept calling Disney and what they've told me is to print out the reservation and go directly to the ME desk in the airport

1stStarIC2nite

I just got off the phone with a WDTC rep (recomfirming ressies for my trip in 26 days!) and she says the tags should arrive about 21 days prior to departure. Anyway, so what I'm understanding then is when we arrive at MCO all we have to do is walk off the plane and straight to the ME check-in destined for Pop Century? Then do we just check in at PC and then we're off to do whatever? Finally, when we arrive back at our room later that night our bags should be in our room? I think that's fantastic... that way we step right off the plane and can focus on the fun already...

Also, has anyone ever booked a rental car from the hotel? What are your experiences with that?

brertigger

1stStarIC2nite said:
I just got off the phone with a WDTC rep (recomfirming ressies for my trip in 26 days!) and she says the tags should arrive about 21 days prior to departure. Anyway, so what I'm understanding then is when we arrive at MCO all we have to do is walk off the plane and straight to the ME check-in destined for Pop Century? Then do we just check in at PC and then we're off to do whatever? Finally, when we arrive back at our room later that night our bags should be in our room? I think that's fantastic... that way we step right off the plane and can focus on the fun already...

Also, has anyone ever booked a rental car from the hotel? What are your experiences with that?

^Yes, that is all you should have to do, if you let Disney take care of everything. The bags should be in your room later that evening. How much later will depend on exactly what time you get there (they have less crews working at night, and after 11PM you have to get your bags yourself, I believe). From what I have seen, 3-5 hours is typical delay between landing and bag arrival in room.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
mayrag said:
Hey, I'm leaving in 5 days, and still have not received the Magical Express booklets. I have kept calling Disney and what they've told me is to print out the reservation and go directly to the ME desk in the airport

If you have a digital camera, take a picture of each bag and print it out. It'll speed the process at the DME check-in. They'll ask for the claim stubs for your baggage and a description of each bag. The pictures will definitely help with the description.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
brertigger said:
^Yes, that is all you should have to do, if you let Disney take care of everything. The bags should be in your room later that evening. How much later will depend on exactly what time you get there (they have less crews working at night, and after 11PM you have to get your bags yourself, I believe). From what I have seen, 3-5 hours is typical delay between landing and bag arrival in room.

I'm going to need my luggage as soon as I check-in....so, it sounds like I'm getting my own! I'll need to shower and change before we head out that afternoon - just have to!

I'm going to call WDTC one more time, to confirm ressies, and ask again (hopefully someone different) about changing names around, and charging privileges.

Thanks everyone.

walnutty01

edwardtc said:
I'm going to need my luggage as soon as I check-in....so, it sounds like I'm getting my own! I'll need to shower and change before we head out that afternoon - just have to!

I'm going to call WDTC one more time, to confirm ressies, and ask again (hopefully someone different) about changing names around, and charging privileges.

Thanks everyone.

the credit card and people issue can all be handled at the front desk. if the rooms are made in ONE big ressie then you can have it split up- be patient tho because it does take some time and a LOT of typing. but, if there are three ressies with the wrong names on them just leave them and the check in cm can put the right people in the right room and add the cc for any charging to that room. therefore, if the people on the phone dont quite understand, dont fret and just talk to the CM at checkin. if they cant do it, they can find someone who can.

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
walnutty01 said:
the credit card and people issue can all be handled at the front desk. if the rooms are made in ONE big ressie then you can have it split up- be patient tho because it does take some time and a LOT of typing. but, if there are three ressies with the wrong names on them just leave them and the check in cm can put the right people in the right room and add the cc for any charging to that room. therefore, if the people on the phone dont quite understand, dont fret and just talk to the CM at checkin. if they cant do it, they can find someone who can.

Whew, that's good to know. The peope on the phone are....well....robots anymore. Or so it seems. If their screen doesn't say it, they can't think on their own. I even tried to explain all the possible screw-ups that could happen with wrong names and 3 rooms on my card, and they just didn't get my point of view, so I gave up. Ugh.

I'm still going to get my own luggage - but I'll worry about rooms and such when I get there.

Thanks!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
For a change of clothes on arrival, can't you fit the essentials into your carry-on? Then you can avoid picking up your luggage and lugging it around, still have a shower and change before you head out and be able to relax!

Sorry, it's Disney - You're worrying way to much! :lol:

Relax, it'll all work out! :cool:

RebeccaQ

My experience with the luggage tags (after using the ME service several times) is that they have gotten to me before the trip every time. When it has been a last minute booking the tags have come in a fedex envelope instead of in the mail. And each time the luggage all got to the room just fine.

hth

kirksheppard

Leaving on June 1st

I am going down June 1st and just got my tags in the mail last Thursday. I've not used the luggage portion of ME yet, though I think I'm going to try it this time. I have used the bus service twice now and couldn't have been more pleased - especially with the cost. Be patient, as your bus might stop at other resorts before yours, but you'll get there. Also, I've found it nice to tip the driver for handling your bags if you store them under the bus. I think custom is $1 a bag?

Enjoy your trip!

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
MontyMon said:
For a change of clothes on arrival, can't you fit the essentials into your carry-on? Then you can avoid picking up your luggage and lugging it around, still have a shower and change before you head out and be able to relax!

Sorry, it's Disney - You're worrying way to much! :lol:

Relax, it'll all work out! :cool:

HA! It's in my nature to worry!

Murphy has never been on my side. If I let WDW be in charge of my luggage, I'd end up seeing it in September - that's just how it works for me :lol:

I don't like carry-ons, but I'll have my video camera bag with me this time - so I don't ALSO want a bag of clothes, etc. It's not a problem for me to get my luggage. Knowing that I actually HAVE it is worth far more than the tiny hassle of getting it myself, ya know?

Yeah, I'm paranoid about lots of things, but I just don't trust a system like this - even if it IS Disney :wave:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
edwardtc said:
HA! It's in my nature to worry!

Murphy has never been on my side. If I let WDW be in charge of my luggage, I'd end up seeing it in September - that's just how it works for me :lol:

I don't like carry-ons, but I'll have my video camera bag with me this time - so I don't ALSO want a bag of clothes, etc. It's not a problem for me to get my luggage. Knowing that I actually HAVE it is worth far more than the tiny hassle of getting it myself, ya know?

Yeah, I'm paranoid about lots of things, but I just don't trust a system like this - even if it IS Disney :wave:

Hey, I'm as OCD as they come! Note I didn't tell you to pack essentials in a carry-on, I only asked "Couldn't you?". :lol:

I actually have had much weirder things go wrong than lost luggage [I've had lost luggage too, but...]. I just realized a while ago that there are important things to stress over and not-so-important...

I know that at the end of the day, you'll handle the trip as you see fit and you'll have a great time, regardless of what advice you get here.

Enjoy and remember to post a trip report! A click on my name in my sig shows I have a while of living vicariously through the joy of others... :cry:

Tom

Beta Return
Original Poster
MontyMon said:
Hey, I'm as OCD as they come! Note I didn't tell you to pack essentials in a carry-on, I only asked "Couldn't you?". :lol:

I actually have had much weirder things go wrong than lost luggage [I've had lost luggage too, but...]. I just realized a while ago that there are important things to stress over and not-so-important...

I know that at the end of the day, you'll handle the trip as you see fit and you'll have a great time, regardless of what advice you get here.

Enjoy and remember to post a trip report! A click on my name in my sig shows I have a while of living vicariously through the joy of others... :cry:

I'm down to 34 days - woo! (Not to rub it in :animwink:) I agree that it's nice to NOT worry about some things, but when I'm dropping $1300 on a week vacation, I go overboard on making sure that I prevent ANY screw-ups that I can (ie, reservations and luggage). If I'm not in full control of what's going on, I shut down. :lol:

Thanks for the sympathy though, and the input. Once I get that luggage to my room - whew - then I'll relax for a week!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom