Magical Express Protest by Orlando Limo Group

Cliffordsmon

Quicksilver would you answer a question please? The past times we have use a town car service it was booked through the concierge and they booked Trio who I could not recommend to anyone. I have only heard good things about your service and was wondering why Disney books Trio instead of you?

Quicksilver

WDWMAGIC Transportation Sponsor
wannab@dis said:
Your view of free enterprise seems fairly limited given the fact that you would want to fight a hotel that offered free transportation (whether or not it's Disney). They have every right to compete and if free transportation gives them a leg up, then so be it. The others will have to do the same or better to stay profitable in our market. The "backyard" is a highly competive market and the leaders will continue to perform well if they focus on the consumer more and less on the competition.

It's not Disney's responsibility to furnish you with consumers for your product. It's your responsibility to offer services that exceed other options in both quality and price. From the reviews I've seen, you do that now, and do it well. You may have to change your advertising techniques or adjust your mode of service, but that is the case in any business competing for consumer's money.

I will fight a hotel that would not use it's own employees and vehicles to do the free shuttle. If they employ more people, get a new transportation business going, I'm all for it. But if they use Mears for their free shuttle, I would again yell MONOPOLY!!!!
As you can all see, I'm against the obvious domination of 1 major provider in Orlando. Slowly Mears is reaching the point of a "Microsoft", "Wal-Mart" and etc.. You've all heard of the fights with those two, haven't you? Well, they are still around, powerfull as ever, but the competition they "had" is still not happy... :lol: Why should I be? :rolleyes:

Quicksilver

Clifford'smon said:
Quicksilver would you answer a question please? The past times we have use a town car service it was booked through the concierge and they booked Trio who I could not recommend to anyone. I have only heard good things about your service and was wondering why Disney books Trio instead of you?

The concierge personally must have a "deal" with Trio, since only Mears and Star Transportation offers Limo services in WDW (to my knowledge); or Maybe Mears and Star were overbooked....

Where you at an official Disney resort or maybe a Disney Swan and Dolphin?

BTW, Mears, Star, and Trio are offered at a higher rate than us for towncar and limo services from the airport... :)

Cliffordsmon

We stayed at the Beach Club and another trip at The Boardwalk.

I didn't really have any gripes when we used them during our stay at the BW however this past trip we were charged $75. each way, the driver wasn't sure where the BC was, they didn't know how to load their own trunk and we waited 20 min. for them to retrieve the car.

I do realize the airport no longer allows you to park at baggage claim but that was crazy.

Quicksilver

Clifford'smon said:
We stayed at the Beach Club and another trip at The Boardwalk.

I didn't really have any gripes when we used them during our stay at the BW however this past trip we were charged $75. each way, the driver wasn't sure where the BC was, they didn't know how to load their own trunk and we waited 20 min. for them to retrieve the car.

I do realize the airport no longer allows you to park at baggage claim but that was crazy.

We now can park at the ground transportation level. We no longer must park at the hilding area. It should take 2 minutes (if that long) for the driver to get his vehicle and park at the specific space he left you. He was probably trying to save a few bucks for parking fees (charged every 30 minutes). :animwink:

Quicksilver

Below an extract from a post from another discussion board. I thought it was very well written and I agree with it 100% :

"Yeah, having a business that you have busted your hump and sacrificed to build up over many years suddenly dry up and blow away because a multi-billion-dollar megalithic corporations starts giving it away free as a promotional perk tends to cause peoples' grapes to go a little sour.

Of coarse, Disney has a perfect right to operate a service like DME, and I think it is long overdue. But I do think that they will not provide the service for free in perpetuity; I'm certain that they will begin to offset the huge cost of DME by charging for it at some point, and knowing Disney, they will charge the same or a little more than Mears charges on their own busses ($29 r/t).

DME will become a perk that Disney can throw in for free for limited times, like the free dining plan, that will be very useful as a marketing and promotional device."

mrtoad

I have to agree with the others, I see it is Disney's right to do so.

I mean say I am staying in a Hotel in NYC that has all these great places to eat all around. And now I decide all my guests eat for free as part of their stay. That is legal an there is nothing wrong with it.

Even if Disney wants to continue doing so after the agreement is up they can I think. You say it would be illegal for them to do so if they did it through mears rather than their own employees, then the smart thing for Disney to do would be to either merge with Mears, or even better use their own busses.

Another way that I believe could be legal if they want to keep doing it is after the contract is up they sign a new on with Mears or another company. Just open up for bids from the companies in the area to sign a contract for x amount of years for x amount of dollars per head paid by Disney for each guest. It is no different than my company signing a contract with IBM for laptops at a certain percentage off retail price. They will gaurantee the x percentage off if I gaurantee to only buy from them and give them at least x amount of business. There is nothing wrong with that.

I don't see them doing it for free anyway, I think they will start to charge as you said but I think they could do it if they want.

Quicksilver said:
They surely can for the limited period they've settled for (1 1/2 years). After that they can not, and will not. Free enterprise don't mean any company can monopolize a specific market (in this case airport transportation to Disney). And please remember, Disney is offering it free for their guests, but the buses and drivers are not owned by Disney, but Mears. Mears gets paid $25.00 per person fot that service, and Mears is the one monopolizing the transportation business in Orlando.
If Disney continues after the 1 1/2 years to offer their "shuttle" free, they will most certainly get sued by many (limo services, rental car agencies, hotels outside WDW, and etc) for DUMPING;together with Mears. I'm sure you all can understand the diferrence between a free market and unfair, unlawful business practices.
Again I must say, Disney is not the "only" culprit here, but mainly Mears group.

Regards,

Gregory Nicolas.

mrtoad

Just a follow up on that. When we went to WDW last month we opted for a rental car instead anyway as our time is very important to us. If we are paying for a car service that is for us only (not shuttle bus) at the price we would rather pay a little more to have the car stay with us.

That being said we are planning on trying Disney's service on our upcoming trip next year as we will be tight on cash, so the free really does help.

BRER STITCH

I understand how it would be hard for the limo companies and drivers to make less money than they are used to. But seriously, it happens every day in every industry - people get laid off, lose benefits, or are forced to give back raises to keep their jobs. It doesn't ease the pain any, but they are not alone or unique to this problem.

Working in a tourist based economy, these companies and individuals should be used to the unpredictablility of the business.

Competition is good for the consumer and until the limo companies can compete by offering better service or something "special", they will continue to lose share. (Target is not as cheap as WalMart, but they continue to thrive). Sounds like they need a lesson on COST VS. VALUE! :lol:

Since the beginning of time, adapatability has meant been key to survival. The limo companies need to become more efficient, improve their product, and reduce their costs to compete.

The other problem is that I usually travel alone or with one or two other people. It doesn't pay for us to get a car service, as the Mears bus was always cheaper unless you have 4 or more people. Maybe the towncars could take a step to address that issue by charging per person and not by car. (No charge for that idea, boys!) It comes down to their ability to react to changes in their operating environment. Just watch....the smart ones will not try to change Disney, but will change themselves and survive.

That said, I shall protest the limo protest by booking my Magical Express seat.

:wave:

Quicksilver

mrtoad said:
I have to agree with the others, I see it is Disney's right to do so.

I mean say I am staying in a Hotel in NYC that has all these great places to eat all around. And now I decide all my guests eat for free as part of their stay. That is legal an there is nothing wrong with it.

Even if Disney wants to continue doing so after the agreement is up they can I think. You say it would be illegal for them to do so if they did it through mears rather than their own employees, then the smart thing for Disney to do would be to either merge with Mears, or even better use their own busses.

Another way that I believe could be legal if they want to keep doing it is after the contract is up they sign a new on with Mears or another company. Just open up for bids from the companies in the area to sign a contract for x amount of years for x amount of dollars per head paid by Disney for each guest. It is no different than my company signing a contract with IBM for laptops at a certain percentage off retail price. They will gaurantee the x percentage off if I gaurantee to only buy from them and give them at least x amount of business. There is nothing wrong with that.

I don't see them doing it for free anyway, I think they will start to charge as you said but I think they could do it if they want.

If Disney opens up for bids like you mentioned above it would be nice, but Mears and Disney have a love relationship that can not be broken. :( ; and most probably Mears would win since they are the only ones (now) with the structure to do so (I must admit...).
I talk a lot from my heart, I'm not a lawyer, so not 100% sure about the legality of the possible extension of the FREE shuttle. Our Livery Association's lawyer said it would be illegal though.
As you said also, they will not extend it probably over the 1 1/2 years. They say they pick-up 5.000 a day average. That's $4,500,000 lost per month; Disney will not let this pass, I'm sure... :sohappy:

Computer Magic

Quicksilver said:
If Disney opens up for bids like you mentioned above it would be nice, but Mears and Disney have a love relationship that can not be broken. :( ; and most probably Mears would win since they are the only ones (now) with the structure to do so (I must admit...).
I talk a lot from my heart, I'm not a lawyer, so not 100% sure about the legality of the possible extension of the FREE shuttle. Our Livery Association's lawyer said it would be illegal though.
As you said also, they will not extend it probably over the 1 1/2 years. They say they pick-up 5.000 a day average. That's $4,500,000 lost per month; Disney will not let this pass, I'm sure... :sohappy:
I think the trick is to offer the "value added". Things Disney can't do with their current system. Pick you up at the bagage location, stop at a grocery store, taylor their the customer needs.

Disney is trying to kill the competition by offering it free. Some Small businesses don't have the captial to last and then go bankrupt. Disney will then start charging.

This is what has happend to the "mom and pop" places. Big corporate comes in with lower prices to kill competition then increases prices after they are gone.

Keep doing what you are doing as I like the "value added" or special treatment. I don't like stoping at different resorts....I want to get to my resort ASAP

mrtoad

Quicksilver said:

Believe me I don't like seeing you or any other company effected but it is business.

As for the Disney Mears love thing, Disney does have the right to choose who they want as their vendor. Lowest price does not always win either. It depends on what the other company brings to the table. When we added an addition to our house 2 1/2 ago we acted as general contractor and hired who we wanted for each piece. We did not always pick the cheapest bid as the work would most likely not be the best. We did not always hire the most expensive as the prices were too inflated. We usually would wind up somewhere in the middle. This type of thing happens all the time.

Like I mentioned in my previous post about the PCs. The company I work for has a contract for who they by their computers from. Our laptop vendor is not the same as our desktop vendor. Part quality, part was price and part was service level guarantees on how long it would take to get a machine in house once ordered. I am sure that is something that comes into play with Disney as well. I am not sure of the way the service works meaning how often they pick up. But I would think Disney did not say to Mears you must provide us with 50 busses or whatever figure, they probably said we need buses every hour or whatever the time schedule is. They could care less how many buses it takes, as longs as Mears obeys all the laws to make road travel safe and meets the service level they promised. It would be up to Mears to figure out how many they needed to do that.

I could be wrong about how that is set up, but I would think that would be the logical way to do it.

So if another vendor can't meet those expectations but has the best price to offer Disney in town it will not matter, they will lose the bid.

mrtoad

Another thing to add is that just because it is free and even if stays that way does not mean everyone will use it. My wife and I did a Mears shuttle when we were at WDW for our honeymoon in 1993 because we were not able to rent a car (age issue) and did not like it at all. It stopped at several hotels along the way to our resort, some of which were not at WDW.

We hated it. It was like 12:00 at night and it took us forever to get to our resort. In hindsight, I would have gone with a car service instead.

So for those who don't want to rent a car as it is too expensive but don't like a shuttle because of the time it takes a car service is in the middle and would be the best option. I am sure that will still be the case for many.

PhotoDave219

Dreamflight4Eva said:
There are a lot of people who are unhappy with DME. The limo/taxi trivers are upset since they are losing out on a lare percentage of their business. The largest tourist destination in the world now offers FREE transportation to every one of their resorts... how do you honestly expect these livery companies to compete with that. It's a foolish argument to say that all these companies should just offer free service as well. Obviously, DME is not a free service. Guests are paying for it through different ways, such as through ticket sales, as well as the cost of their rooms. It just appears to be a free service.

Ummmm Frankly I'd like to see hard numbers of how they were doing vs Mears (Remember them) and vs DME. IMO, its seems like the same people who are now using DME were the same people who took Mears.... and in which case, those Limo & Taxi drivers still werent getting $$$.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.... especially because all the taxi companies in town charge a surcharge onto every trip to the apirport as well as some insane rates for cabs. I dont feel sorry for them whatsoever..... I pick people up from the airport, so I guess i'm taking money away from them too.

mrtoad

PhotoDave219 said:
I pick people up from the airport, so I guess i'm taking money away from them too.

That is absolutly true. We never get a car service on this end either before we head to WDW. We usually get my in-laws to drive us and we do the same for them. Car services are too much money for what you get.

Quicksilver

PhotoDave219 said:
Ummmm Frankly I'd like to see hard numbers of how they were doing vs Mears (Remember them) and vs DME. IMO, its seems like the same people who are now using DME were the same people who took Mears.... and in which case, those Limo & Taxi drivers still werent getting $$$.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.... especially because all the taxi companies in town charge a surcharge onto every trip to the apirport as well as some insane rates for cabs. I dont feel sorry for them whatsoever..... I pick people up from the airport, so I guess i'm taking money away from them too.

Mears is the provider for ME and gets $25.00 per person for this service. Disney is indeed getting their money from elsewhere to pay for it. Now, you keep forgetting they are offering it free NOW not forever, and when they start charging for it it will be around $30.00 (or more) per person. We offer a luxury vehicle, meet and greet, help with luggage, for $95.00 with all tolls, fees, and the airport surcharge INCLUDED. This is cheaper than a taxi cab and, for a family of 3 or 4 cheaper than ME will be.

People that used Mears before (with 3 or more people in their party) did not do their homework and were oblivious of the towncar option; or thought it would be more expensive and didn't even research it. You are right about one thing, most people that used Mears will be the same that will use ME when they start collecting for it. While it's free, even people that wouldn't use a shuttle figure that $95.00 is worth saving.

One more year and all that discussion will be finished, and I expect, with all the new advertisemnt campaign I had to put in place to compensate the loss of reservations today, my phone will not stop ringing, my reservations will go to the roof, and from night to day, I will quadruple my income (the same way I lost 50% from night to day with free ME). Mears, Me or whoever offer a shuttle service will never be able to compete with us if they start charging for the service (which is almost certain it will happen in Dec 2006).

Please, don't be sorry for me, but be sorry for the hundreds of families that will not have income due to this free ME deal, and can't survive like I can for 1 1/2 years.

mrtoad

Care to let us in on your campaign and what makes it so much better and why nobody will be able to compete with you. One it gives us another option and two it will only make you money by letting us now what it is....

Thanks. :)

Quicksilver said:
One more year and all that discussion will be finished, and I expect, with all the new advertisemnt campaign I had to put in place to compensate the loss of reservations today, my phone will not stop ringing, my reservations will go to the roof, and from night to day, I will quadruple my income (the same way I lost 50% from night to day with free ME). Mears, Me or whoever offer a shuttle service will never be able to compete with us if they start charging for the service (which is almost certain it will happen in Dec 2006).

Please, don't be sorry for me, but be sorry for the hundreds of families that will not have income due to this free ME deal, and can't survive like I can for 1 1/2 years.

Quicksilver

mrtoad said:
Care to let us in on your campaign and what makes it so much better and why nobody will be able to compete with you. One it gives us another option and two it will only make you money by letting us now what it is....

Thanks. :)

I realize it all sounded arrogant, and that was my intention. This answer was just to put my nose in the air and say I personally do not care much about all the ME problem and that I will survive this fase, and that most certainly it is not "sour grapes", not from Quicksilver at least.

mrtoad

Quicksilver said:
I realize it all sounded arrogant, and that was my intention. This answer was just to put my nose in the air and say I personally do not care much about all the ME problem and that I will survive this fase, and that most certainly it is not "sour grapes", not from Quicksilver at least.

So is there a campaign or not? I am confused now. I was seriously asking what it was as it would only benefit you and us by knowing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom