Magical Express Bag Check?

BMP

Original Poster
If we tag our bags with the ME tags, but use uber (instead of the ME bus) to go straight to a dinning reservation, will the bags still be processed and arrive at our rooms?

Or will we have to "check in" at the Kiosk 1st?

We have tight window (~ 1 hr) from landing to reservation

CaptainAmerica

Mechanically that will probably work but you're really not supposed to do it. Disney pays third parties to operate the Magical Express service and they're compensated on passenger count. If you send your bags through the system without riding the bus, then the company that handles your luggage isn't going to get paid.

Regardless, one hour is not nearly enough time, even with Uber. It'll take you ten minutes to deplane, twenty minutes to get through the airport, and AT LEAST 30 minutes from the airport to WDW, and that's if everything goes perfectly. Move the reservation.

Yes. We would use Magical Express to get the bags to the resort while we rented a car to get groceries for the time that we are staying. They pick up the bags off the carousel after all passengers have left the area. If everyone that was on the plane has now left the airport, which is assumed by the fact that no one is going to that carousel anymore, it is assumed that you have gotten on the bus and are on your way to the resort without the bag and that it is their responsibility.

With that being said, while your bags will still...magically show up (sorry about the bad pun), I don't see you making a reservation that close to your planes arrival, and I would suggest changing the reservation back at least another 30 minutes to an hour

Shouldigo12

I agree with the others. Move the reservation back. For one, even if everything goes perfectly it's going to take longer than an hour to get to the reservation even if everything goes perfectly. And as we all know, nothing ever goes perfectly.
Edit: When I was researching my trip, it was suggested that you not make any reservations in the parka less than 3 hours from landing when using ME. Since you're not going to have to wait for a bus and will be going straight to wherever your reservation, I would say at a minimum you need 1 1/2 hours from landing until your reservation. Just to be safe though, I would move it back to 2 hours after landing.

CaptainAmerica

Yes. We would use Magical Express to get the bags to the resort while we rented a car to get groceries for the time that we are staying. They pick up the bags off the carousel after all passengers have left the area. If everyone that was on the plane has now left the airport, which is assumed by the fact that no one is going to that carousel anymore, it is assumed that you have gotten on the bus and are on your way to the resort without the bag and that it is their responsibility.
Just to be clear, this is not allowed. Yes it works, but no you shouldn't do it.

CaptainAmerica

Wrong it’s allowed. I have had family/friends that travels with us do it many times. Disney told them it was perfectly fine to do.
I don't care what your family/friends do. They're breaking the rules.

"One important thing to keep in mind about Disney's Magical Express service is that the complimentary luggage delivery is part of the overall transportation service. In order to take advantage of the complimentary luggage delivery, you'll need to ride the Disney's Magical Express to your Walt Disney World Resort hotel."

"In order to accept luggage for delivery, Disney requires that at least one person staying at WDW ride Magical Express. It does not require that everyone in the room ride ME. This means, for example, if you're a party of five (all in one room), you could have one person ride ME to their WDW hotel, with Disney moving the luggage of all five people, and the other four party members taking a cab/Uber/rental to WDW."

Now, if your family and friends were given different information by a cast member, then they didn't know any better and therefore there's nothing wrong with what they did. But the cast member gave them bad information.

Last edited:

ninjaprincesst

Yes, it may work, but as stated it's night right to do, but besides all that, you are never going to make an ADR 1 hour after landing, I would not even suggest 2 hours because there are too many things that could go wrong, flight delay, traffic, airport monirail breakdown, and many others . I think I would go with the standard 3 to be on the safe side.

DisneyMann

I was told the touch point at the DME check in is what triggers the luggage to go to the resort but it never made sense to me.

It's definitely not "allowed" but many people will always do what they want

"One important thing to keep in mind about Disney's Magical Express service is that the complimentary luggage delivery is part of the overall transportation service. In order to take advantage of the complimentary luggage delivery, you'll need to ride the Disney's Magical Express to your Walt Disney World Resort hotel."

"In order to accept luggage for delivery, Disney requires that at least one person staying at WDW ride Magical Express. It does not require that everyone in the room ride ME. This means, for example, if you're a party of five (all in one room), you could have one person ride ME to their WDW hotel, with Disney moving the luggage of all five people, and the other four party members taking a cab/Uber/rental to WDW."

Absolutely false. Let's ignore whether or not it's against the rules for a second. My family and I go to WDW at least once a year and we always have rented a car to go get groceries, with no one riding on ME and our luggage always shows up at our room eventually whether or not it is the rule. I'm not saying it is or isn't the rule, I honestly have no idea, but your luggage will still show up regardless.

I was told the touch point at the DME check in is what triggers the luggage to go to the resort but it never made sense to me.

It's definitely not "allowed" but many people will always do what they want

If them picking up your luggage is triggered by your Magic Band at the ME check in then I don't know why ours always show up at our room. It's more likely that they just pick up the bags that are left on the carousel with ME tags on the assumption that if your bags are still there at whatever time period when they go to pull bags, that you already got on the bus.

I have no idea if using ME for your bags without getting on the bus is against the rules or not. I'm not saying that breaking rules is okay, I'm just saying this was our experience.

CaptainAmerica

Absolutely false. Let's ignore whether or not it's against the rules for a second. My family and I go to WDW at least once a year and we always have rented a car to go get groceries, with no one riding on ME and our luggage always shows up at our room eventually whether or not it is the rule. I'm not saying it is or isn't the rule, I honestly have no idea, but your luggage will still show up regardless.

If them picking up your luggage is triggered by your Magic Band at the ME check in then I don't know why ours always show up at our room. It's more likely that they just pick up the bags that are left on the carousel with ME tags on the assumption that if your bags are still there at whatever time period when they go to pull bags, that you already got on the bus.

I have no idea if using ME for your bags without getting on the bus is against the rules or not. I'm not saying that breaking rules is okay, I'm just saying this was our experience.
If you notice, I have responded to this thread several times and I've been consistent throughout. In the very first reply to the OP, I said that this would work but that it's against the rules. So maybe get over yourself with the "absolutely false" comment. Every word I've said in this thread is 100% accurate.

Me: The sky is blue and trees are green.
You: Absolutely false. The sky is not green.

Hcalvert

Here's one for you: My brother and his family signed up for Magical Express thinking that they were flying into MCO. It turns out that my nephew has been having anxiety attacks regarding flying, so they have decided to rent a car and drive to MCO to meet us. They still want to take ME since they are dropping the car off at MCO and do not want to pay the parking fees. Then, they want to ride ME back to MCO at the end of the trip and rent a car again to drive back. They will be obviously taking their luggage with them. Is what they are doing against the rules too? Does it particularly say that in order for someone to take advantage of ME, that they have to fly into MCO?

DisneyJoe

Bags with yellow DME tags don't get sent to the carousel - the tags force them to be scanned and routed to trucks to the resorts.

Shouldigo12

Here's one for you: My brother and his family signed up for Magical Express thinking that they were flying into MCO. It turns out that my nephew has been having anxiety attacks regarding flying, so they have decided to rent a car and drive to MCO to meet us. They still want to take ME since they are dropping the car off at MCO and do not want to pay the parking fees. Then, they want to ride ME back to MCO at the end of the trip and rent a car again to drive back. They will be obviously taking their luggage with them. Is what they are doing against the rules too? Does it particularly say that in order for someone to take advantage of ME, that they have to fly into MCO?
I would call Disney and ask about ME. For the trip to the airport they should still be able to use it (if your nephew feels up to flying by that time), but it's hard to say if would let on the trip to the park.

Hcalvert

I would call Disney and ask about ME. For the trip to the airport they should still be able to use it (if your nephew feels up to flying by that time), but it's hard to say if would let on the trip to the park.

I guess what I am thinking is how will they know that they did not fly? They are going to be waiting for us when our plane lands and we are going to get in line for ME together. I was under the impression from what I read about ME that it was available for resort guests who are picked up at MCO. I was wondering if they differentiated with how one got to the airport. His arrival and departure flight details are already in ME from when he booked the reservation and he has not cancelled ME since he decided to drive. Who knows. I told him to fly, but he is not listening to me.

Shouldigo12

I guess what I am thinking is how will they know that they did not fly? They are going to be waiting for us when our plane lands and we are going to get in line for ME together. I was under the impression from what I read about ME that it was available for resort guests who are picked up at MCO. I was wondering if they differentiated with how one got to the airport. His arrival and departure flight details are already in ME from when he booked the reservation and he has not cancelled ME since he decided to drive. Who knows. I told him to fly, but he is not listening to me.
That's what I'm wondering too. I'm not sure if they have some sort of techno magic they work that can see if you were on the plane, or if they naturally just assume someone who booked a flight would use that flight. That's why I would call. There's a good chance he can still use it, but if they have a way of knowing he wasn't on the flight it's beat to start making alternate plans now.
Edit: Also, may I ask what makes tour nephew nervous about flying? I'm a nervous flyer myself and may have some tips.

Hcalvert

That's what I'm wondering too. I'm not sure if they have some sort of techno magic they work that can see if you were on the plane, or if they naturally just assume someone who booked a flight would use that flight. That's why I would call. There's a good chance he can still use it, but if they have a way of knowing he wasn't on the flight it's beat to start making alternate plans now.
Edit: Also, may I ask what makes tour nephew nervous about flying? I'm a nervous flyer myself and may have some tips.
I have no idea, but I do know that my sister-in-law doesn't care for flying either, so that may also be factored in on the decision. I just heard of this a few days ago when it was time to book the flights. They already paid for their trip, so they did not want to cancel it completely. This will be their first trip to WDW, so I guess they will have to call and explain to ME the situation. My nephew is most likely autistic, but right now they are wary of getting a diagnosis. He has four kids, so he is going to have an interesting time driving over 16 hours to Florida. :oops:

Shouldigo12

I have no idea, but I do know that my sister-in-law doesn't care for flying either, so that may also be factored in on the decision. I just heard of this a few days ago when it was time to book the flights. They already paid for their trip, so they did not want to cancel it completely. This will be their first trip to WDW, so I guess they will have to call and explain to ME the situation. My nephew is most likely autistic, but right now they are wary of getting a diagnosis. He has four kids, so he is going to have an interesting time driving over 16 hours to Florida. :oops:
Ah. If two of them are unsure of flying, it may be a bad idea for them to plan on flying back...the anxiety of knowing in x days you'll have to get on a plane anyway has the possibility of really dampening a trip, although I can see why he wouldn't want to have to drive 16 hours to and from Orlando with four kids haha. Either that, or rip the band aid off now.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, I'm sure he knows his family much better than I do. But if he's worried enough about his son's reaction to flying that he's willing to waste six plane tickets (well, half of six if they're round trip), then I'm guessing his anxiety isn't going to be any better for the trip back and they'll just be back at square one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom