Magic Your Way Finger Measurements?

Slippin' Falls

Original Poster
Going to be goin to WDW this summer and was gonna use a left over day from a friend's magic your way ticket. I heard that Disney does finger measurements now to prevent sharing. I just wanted to know if any of you guys know if this is true.

Captain Hank

Slippin' Falls said:
Going to be goin to WDW this summer and was gonna use a left over day from a friend's magic your way ticket. I heard that Disney does finger measurements now to prevent sharing. I just wanted to know if any of you guys know if this is true.
Yes, this is true. Unless you have the same finger measurements as your friend, you won't be able to use his ticket.

By the way, Welcome to WDWMagic! :wave:

Geolinc

I don't believe the finger measurement really works. We were just there in April my wife, daughter and I all had tickets that we bought at the Disney Store in New York. Each time we went in we rotated the tickets and we were never stopped. We weren't cheating the system in any way just testing to see if the incresed time waiting in line was really worth it. I think that making the tickets expire after 14 days will have a bigger impact on them being sold to other people.

Captain Hank

Geolinc said:
I don't believe the finger measurement really works. We were just there in April my wife, daughter and I all had tickets that we bought at the Disney Store in New York. Each time we went in we rotated the tickets and we were never stopped. We weren't cheating the system in any way just testing to see if the incresed time waiting in line was really worth it. I think that making the tickets expire after 14 days will have a bigger impact on them being sold to other people.
There have been reports that the system has been on the fritz lately. Sometimes it is apparently also turned off to accomodate large crowds. I wouldn't chance it, though.

disneydata

If you purchased the tickets all together on the same order, the biometrics will be pooled together. If you use another ticket, it will still recognize your fingers as being in the same party and let you in. THe biometrics are not on the fritz. They are not turned off either, it is the operator's discresion to override it.

MagliteL13

The way I understand it from some of my friends at main street ops (and I could be wrong) is that the Biometrics are used for a couple of reasons. 1) to prevent APs and CMs from letting others use their passes/ids and 2) to track usage and flow. Besides, if you want to use another's ticket, you can always ask the CM to reset your biometrics. Once again, take it all with a grain of salt as I'm not sure how true it is but figured I'd share it anyhow.

mraw

MagliteL13 said:
The way I understand it from some of my friends at main street ops (and I could be wrong) is that the Biometrics are used for a couple of reasons. 1) to prevent APs and CMs from letting others use their passes/ids and 2) to track usage and flow. Besides, if you want to use another's ticket, you can always ask the CM to reset your biometrics. Once again, take it all with a grain of salt as I'm not sure how true it is but figured I'd share it anyhow.

I understand their reasoning for Cast Members and AP holders-but we have had to do that for years now. I don't understand why they are making people with Magic Your Way tickets do that. A days' admission is credited regardless of who uses the ticket. I guess that will also prevent theft of MYW tickets, too. I'm glad to hear that the machines are faster, though, because I would have to stand there with my fingers in that machine for a while.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Because the agreement for admission is for a single person - not multiple people. With Magic Your Way, subsequent days cost less.

Hence, you using the first day is full price, but then if you gave it to a friend they'd get in for a lesser price, because that's how the price structure works now.

You could say it gets split evenly across days, but then you have to factor in how its used over those days - the same person going to MK 3 times in 3 days will ride fewer rides each day than 3 seperate people going to MK each day.

In short, your ticket is yours and yours only. It is not some right or grant or guarantee that you can barter, or trade, or weild anything from. It lets you onto Disney's property on Disney's terms and at Disney's discretion with the agreement that you will not abuse the privillages given unto you by Disney, because they said so - and no, you don't have a say in the matter.

Captain Hank

disneydata said:
If you purchased the tickets all together on the same order, the biometrics will be pooled together. If you use another ticket, it will still recognize your fingers as being in the same party and let you in. THe biometrics are not on the fritz. They are not turned off either, it is the operator's discresion to override it.
Okay, thanks. I was just repeating what I had heard previously on different threads.

peter11435

Geolinc said:
Trust me when I tell you the biometric system does work. You were able to mix up your passes because Disney understands that a family with one person holding the tickets will most likely mix them up going into the parks. The system thus recognizes the biometrics of both you and everyone else’s tickets that were purchased on that same receipt.

As for why. Like stated earlier the new MYW plan allows for the purchase of more days very cheaply. You can go from a 4-day ticket to a 7-day ticket with only a 14-dollar increase. Thus the do not want two people to be able to split that cost and increase the days on the tickets. Also Florida State Statute 817.361 says that multi day and multi event ticket media must be used by the same person on any and all days. Thus they are actually following the law.

righttrack

Maybe this is only being used used on the "back end". Maybe if someone reports their tickets lost/stolen, they can verify by different biometrics. Otherwise they would have to take your word for it.

DisneyHoneymoon

older passes?

Just curious, how does this affect leftover hopper passes? DH and I have about 4 or 5 old passes with days left. Will we have difficulty using them this vacation trip? We wanted to use them up before using our Magic Your Way 10-day non expiring passes.

Captain Hank

DisneyHoneymoon said:
Just curious, how does this affect leftover hopper passes? DH and I have about 4 or 5 old passes with days left. Will we have difficulty using them this vacation trip? We wanted to use them up before using our Magic Your Way 10-day non expiring passes.
No, your old passes should work just fine.

lady_vor

Geolinc said:

Yeah that is weird that you guys were able to rotate it. Hmmm... I haven't been to WDW since they've had this, but I heard that it took finger prints. Can anyone tell me if this is true?

disneydata

Biometrics are only used to match you to your ticket. It can not (yet) be used to identify that you actually have a ticket. That's not what the system was designed for. All MYW tickets have a name on them and a full name on the ticket record so it's easy to see who actually owns the ticket. Always keep your receipt!

Any old ticket that does not use biometrics will not use it when you get to the gate. It will pop in and pop out just like before and you shouldn't have any problems. Any ticket burchased before 1996 (I believe) is on the old system and needs to be traded for a current ticket anyway.

disneydata

lady_vor said:
Yeah that is weird that you guys were able to rotate it. Hmmm... I haven't been to WDW since they've had this, but I heard that it took finger prints. Can anyone tell me if this is true?
No fingerprints are taken. It takes an overhead picture of your first two fingers and creates different points on them. It calculates a long numerical value and attempts to match this to the one stored on the server from the first time you used it. This system has the same individuality equivalent as a fingerprint or retina scan, but does not take any personal identifying marks of any kind.

peter11435

lady_vor said:
It does not take fingerprints. Disneydata explained the process well. As for rotating the tickets, it is not weird they were able to do that because as I explained earlier the system is designed to do that.

attisb

I work turnstiles so I can clairfy. The finger measurements do work and do have some issues. You are given a couple of chances to go through with someone elses ticket. If your wife, for example, uses your ticket it tells us that the ticket belongs to a different person on our screen. We then tell you that you switched your tickets with your wife. Her finger measurements belong to another ticket in the system. If you continue to keep switching tickets it will eventually lock you out and will tell us to ask for an ID.

The system is flawed in that it is going by the measurements from the first time you use that ticket. If you put your fingers in sideways the first time then the next time you do it it will say it is not you and ask for an ID. We can always reset your finger measurements to correct that.

The actually scanning box that you put your fingers in needs to be calibrated every once and a while. There is a command that the Greeters know to do that. It is not done as often as it should and can cause issues sometimes. Disney can also choose how accurate they want the scan to be. The more accurate they want it the more likely it will lock you out because it is looking at your finger too closely. Sometime the finger scan will be turned off completely for an hour or so in the morning to allow people to come in quickly. This is only done when there are not enough turnstiles open and the lines are getting to long.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom