Magic Kingdom's Bizarre Bazaars

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
After visiting Magic Kingdom last month I was thinking about how strange it is that the park has comparatively few gift shops given how popular it is. I actually struggled to name more than half a dozen in the entire West hand side of the park, which is weird when you realize just how many there used to be.

I found this blog post I remembered about the old Adventureland stores. Thank goodness there's maps for reference because I couldn't wrap my head around where all these places used to be. I swear there's only 3 gift shops in the land now, but at one point there were at least 10! The current Agrabah Bazaar actual sits in front of several of these now closed locations. Their facades blocked by tents and merch racks.

1636299265971.png

1636299285423.png

See if you can spot the entrance to "The Magic Carpet" in the more recent photo. The elaborate window is still there.

Some gift shops over time were absorbed by other things. Two Caribbean Plaza stores are now extra seating for Pecos Bills, for example.

The combo-store approach was also done with Liberty Square. The current Christmas shop used to be three separate stores. Similarly, the West side of Main Street (now just The Emporium and Main Street Athletic Department) used to be made up of smaller locations. The trend of one store expanding into another continues to this day with the Main Street Confectionary taking over the former hat shop.

Disney seems to love their one-stop mega stores. Just look at the Space Mountain exit or Big Top Souvenirs. There seems to be an unwritten rule that any location must b x number of square feet to justify its existence. So we get things like Frontier Trading Post that's basically the only shop in Frontierland.

Then there's locations that are just closed like Heritage House or the Tricorn Hat Shoppe. The gift shop that used to be next to Snow White's Scary Adventures is now just a seating area. Progress City Radio Hour mentioned on their podcast that it would have been an obvious place to sell on-ride photos from the mine train ride. What was recently The Pirate's League has joined this list too.

It all seems strange to me. Other Disney theme parks don't do this, and they see fewer visitors a year. You can't even blame the current situation because this has been going on since the 90s. The end goal has been fewer stores total and less variety of goods to sell. The only time I ever go in these stores is if they're at the exit of a ride, which is not the case for most of Magic Kingdom's rides as they were built before that became a trend. Ironically, the gift shop after Pooh (which I'm sure Paul Pressler insisted there be) doesn't even sell that much Pooh merch anymore.

The only reason I can think of visiting a Sunglass Hut in Adventureland is if I happen to loose or forget my sunglasses on a visit to MK. Can they at least reopen some of these smaller stores to sell unique stuff? Look how nuts people go over special popcorn buckets. The Main Street Cinema now selling retro stuff shows they can still think outside the box if they want to.

Personally, I would be more likely to visit a store if I knew it sold something special. Each land having an Emporium seems pointless when there's one at the exit anyway.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

After visiting Magic Kingdom last month I was thinking about how strange it is that the park has comparatively few gift shops given how popular it is. I actually struggled to name more than half a dozen in the entire West hand side of the park, which is weird when you realize just how many there used to be.

I found this blog post I remembered about the old Adventureland stores. Thank goodness there's maps for reference because I couldn't wrap my head around where all these places used to be. I swear there's only 3 gift shops in the land now, but at one point there were at least 10! The current Agrabah Bazaar actual sits in front of several of these now closed locations. Their facades blocked by tents and merch racks.

View attachment 599045

View attachment 599046

See if you can spot the entrance to "The Magic Carpet" in the more recent photo. The elaborate window is still there.

Some gift shops over time were absorbed by other things. Two Caribbean Plaza stores are now extra seating for Pecos Bills, for example.

The combo-store approach was also done with Liberty Square. The current Christmas shop used to be three separate stores. Similarly, the West side of Main Street (now just The Emporium and Main Street Athletic Department) used to be made up of smaller locations. The trend of one store expanding into another continues to this day with the Main Street Confectionary taking over the former hat shop.

Disney seems to love their one-stop mega stores. Just look at the Space Mountain exit or Big Top Souvenirs. There seems to be an unwritten rule that any location must b x number of square feet to justify its existence. So we get things like Frontier Trading Post that's basically the only shop in Frontierland.

Then there's locations that are just closed like Heritage House or the Tricorn Hat Shoppe. The gift shop that used to be next to Snow White's Scary Adventures is now just a seating area. Progress City Radio Hour mentioned on their podcast that it would have been an obvious place to sell on-ride photos from the mine train ride. What was recently The Pirate's League has joined this list too.

It all seems strange to me. Other Disney theme parks don't do this, and they see fewer visitors a year. You can't even blame the current situation because this has been going on since the 90s. The end goal has been fewer stores total and less variety of goods to sell. The only time I ever go in these stores is if they're at the exit of a ride, which is not the case for most of Magic Kingdom's rides as they were built before that became a trend. Ironically, the gift shop after Pooh (which I'm sure Paul Pressler insisted there be) doesn't even sell that much Pooh merch anymore.

The only reason I can think of visiting a Sunglass Hut in Adventureland is if I happen to loose or forget my sunglasses on a visit to MK. Can they at least reopen some of these smaller stores to sell unique stuff? Look how nuts people go over special popcorn buckets. The Main Street Cinema now selling retro stuff shows they can still think outside the box if they want to.

Personally, I would be more likely to visit a store if I knew it sold something special. Each land having an Emporium seems pointless when there's one at the exit anyway.

Agree with all of this; I've mentioned it repeatedly here. The Magic Kingdom is really bad because it used to have a lot of cool stores with themed merchandise to help with place setting, but Hollywood Studios might be even worse. The Hollywood Boulevard area used to be a theming masterpiece. Sid Cahuenga's was the crown jewel, but everything there was so good as selling the overall theme.

I'm sure they have data to show that they're better off with huge stores selling the same stuff everywhere (maybe because of reduced manufacturing/stocking/etc. costs?) but it's a huge downgrade from the former parks experience. As you said, I don't see any reason to go into most stores now because they mostly sell the same items everywhere -- just make a stop at World of Disney and you've seen the vast majority of what's offered. You'd think they'd want to attract people to the stores (especially since they need people in them for capacity reasons), not drive them away.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Valid points. And look at Momento Mori- that small dedicated shop to Haunted Mansion is a great place to go to for themed merchandise. I miss when even each park had different merchandise- now, like was stated, they all sell the same stuff.

Memento Mori and the Cinema were the two shops I made a point of visiting because they sold special merch. Both were busy.

castlecake2.0

View attachment 599045

View attachment 599046

Totally agree with all this. I was actually wandering through Adventureland yesterday looking at some of the rooms that used to be shops that are now seating areas for Tortuga Tavern. I do think the park needs more seating areas and needs to somehow advertise them better. There has been such a focus on snacks lately and not enough places to sit and eat them, leading to people sprawled out sitting on the streets. I’d love to see these empty venues, if not turned back into shops, turned into food and bev locations to try to remove some ODV carts off pathways, or themed sitting areas that could look like shops but offer seating areas for snacking.

Magic Kingdom definitely needs a project stardust type refresh to improve flow, use unused spaces, and add seating.

MickeyLuv'r

One small aspect to this trend might have something to do with navigating the shops in the present era.

I do not mean this as a comprehensive answer at all, but bigger wider shops are easier to navigate, especially when people are using strollers and electric scooters. Strollers and scooters aren't new, but some of the stores used to be annoyingly tight, and WDW addressing the situation was overdue.

Also add in a sprinkle of social distancing. Mind, people aren't consistent in their approach to social distance, but it is probably fair to say many folks are slightly more aware of personal space than they were a few years ago, at least at times. Even without the pandemic, bigger stores were a trend. Cramped = people rush out. Bigger stores can carry a wider selection of merchandise, and a wide selection appeals to everyone in the family all together. Adults don't want to stare at baby toys, babies don't want to look at adult merchandise, but put them together and it just makes sense!

Third, we could also toss in - perhaps- a tiny bit of allowance for Genie+/LL. If people aren't in line, they need to be somewhere. Maybe not....

UNCgolf

One small aspect to this trend might have something to do with navigating the shops in the present era.

I do not mean this as a comprehensive answer at all, but bigger wider shops are easier to navigate, especially when people are using strollers and electric scooters. Strollers and scooters aren't new, but some of the stores used to be annoyingly tight, and WDW addressing the situation was overdue.

Also add in a sprinkle of social distancing. Mind, people aren't consistent in their approach to social distance, but it is probably fair to say many folks are slightly more aware of personal space than they were a few years ago, at least at times. Even without the pandemic, bigger stores were a trend. Cramped = people rush out. Bigger stores can carry a wider selection of merchandise, and a wide selection appeals to everyone in the family all together. Adults don't want to stare at baby toys, babies don't want to look at adult merchandise, but put them together and it just makes sense!

Third, we could also toss in - perhaps- a tiny bit of allowance for Genie+/LL. If people aren't in line, they need to be somewhere. Maybe not....

This is what I was referencing earlier and why the homogenized merchandise and bland stores make no sense. You're not giving people a reason to go in any of the stores as you develop systems that's supposed to get people to spend more time shopping. Those two things seem to contradict each other -- "You should spend more time in the stores! But also, they all sell the same things and you could just get it at World of Disney instead!"

I also agree that they likely needed more space, but that's not a reason to strip away theme and, again, homogenize all the merch.

MickeyLuv'r

This is what I was referencing earlier and why the homogenized merchandise and bland stores make no sense. You're not giving people a reason to go in any of the stores as you develop systems that's supposed to get people to spend more time shopping. Those two things seem to contradict each other -- "You should spend more time in the stores! But also, they all sell the same things and you could just get it at World of Disney instead!"

I also agree that they likely needed more space, but that's not a reason to strip away theme and, again, homogenize all the merch.
I agree. My response was only to address a portion of the opening question.

Right now, I'd say another part of this is probably less staff. At WoD, the registers are always running, but that isn't the case in the smaller shops. Actually, I should say - at the new WoD the registers are always running. The older WoD had a mishmash of check out options that was a bit disorganized.

WoW visitors don't appear to mind waiting in a short line to check out. That's kind of interesting.

Twirlnhurl

I think some of it is that a small shop requires more labor to run than a large shop on an employee per square foot basis.

Imagine there is 50,000 sf of retail in a theme park (Main Street USA has about 16,000 sf, so I feel like that might be right). At peak time, (an hour after fireworks, for instance) imagine that there is a demand for 100 cash registers. At off peak times, there is demand for 25 cash registers.

If you divide the retail space into 50 stores of 1,000 sf each, you would need to operate 50 cash registers at 50% utilization most of the day (or close half the stores at off peak times).

But if you divide the retail into 25 stores of 2,000 sf each, you can have 25 cash registers open and operate them at 100% utilization.

In both cases, you can scale up for the peak hour, pulling employees who do inventory and other logistics out of the back to handle the surge demand. But in the larger store version of the park, the park cn have fewer people dedicated to operating cash registers at off-peak hours. So all things equal, there is an advantage to running fewer shops with larger floor space at each.

I think this was illustrated quite clearly when the west side of Main Street USA was reconfigured to all be a single Main Street Emporium store instead of multiple shops. At off peak times, entire sections of the store lack open registers. In the old configuration, before the shops were all connected, it would have been impossible to close those registers without closing the store. But now, you can take the cloths from the menswear section to the plush section to check out, when previously they were not connected.

A similar thing happened in the chain of shops at the exit of Maelstrom / Frozen Ever After. The spaces were designed for separate stores with separate registers. But by the end of the Maelstrom days, all the registers except the ones towards the end of the chain were closed. (I don't go on Frozen very often, so I am not sure how they run the shops these days.)

This doesn't explain why the variety of merchandise would be lower. There is always a pressure to replace low profit margin, low sales volume items with high margin, high volume items. But I couldn't pretend to understand how that would apply at Disney parks, because I don't know what type of merchandise is one or the other.

The Empress Lilly

View attachment 599045

View attachment 599046

It's photo pairs like this that show what we fans mean when we say that the MK is the world's greatest castle park, turned into the worst.

Adventureland had WS quality theming, and then some. Built for an adult audience. Now it's all shuttered, painted over in cartoon colours, hidden behind tents or plastic or spinners.

As for shops. There is indeed a strange contradiction between the emphasis on retail since the Pressler years and the diminished shopping experience at the MK. I can see how that would result in putting operational considerations, not park theme, as a shop's primary function*. But not really how that results into less shops, never mind less retail space.

* Although modern theme park design now proudly discovers what WED already did fifty years before Star Wars Land: integrated retail experiences where everything reinforces the story and the story sells the products.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Agrabah Bazaar
Big Al's
Big Top Souvenirs
Bonjour! Village Gifts
Box Office Gifts
Briar Patch
Crystal Arts
Curtain Call Collectibles
Disney Clothiers
Emporium
Fantasy Faire
Frontier Trading Post
Hundred Acre Goods
Island Supply by Sunglass Hut
Main Street Cinema
Main Street Confectionary
Momento Mori
Newsstand
Plaza del Sol Caribe Bazaar
Sir Mickey's
Star Traders
Tomorrowland Light & Power Co.
Uptown Jewelers
Ye olde Christmas Shop

...That seems like enough for me. Main Street is, itself, just a giant shopping street.

UNCgolf

Agrabah Bazaar
Big Al's
Big Top Souvenirs
Bonjour! Village Gifts
Box Office Gifts
Briar Patch
Crystal Arts
Curtain Call Collectibles
Disney Clothiers
Emporium
Fantasy Faire
Frontier Trading Post
Hundred Acre Goods
Island Supply by Sunglass Hut
Main Street Cinema
Main Street Confectionary
Momento Mori
Newsstand
Plaza del Sol Caribe Bazaar
Sir Mickey's
Star Traders
Tomorrowland Light & Power Co.
Uptown Jewelers
Ye olde Christmas Shop

...That seems like enough for me. Main Street is, itself, just a giant shopping street.

I don't think anyone is really complaining about the specific number of stores.

It's that most of those stores (there are a few exceptions) sell all the same items as the others (and that a lot of the theming has been stripped away). It wasn't always like that.

Last edited:

KaliSplash

The cool stores with the wider variety required maintaining a supply of items that didn't sell very well but were neat for some customers every day.
Much easier to have one big store with plush toys, t-shirts, hats, etc.
Also requires less staffing.
Reduce costs by reducing the large varied inventory and focus on the best sellers in bigger stores.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I don't think anyone is really complaining about the specific number of stores.

It's that most of those stores (there are a few exceptions) sell all the same items as the others (and that a lot of the theming has been stripped away). It wasn't always like that.
Understood. I was replying to the OP: “I was thinking about how strange it is that the park has comparatively few gift shops given how popular it is.”

Robbiem

I think some of it is that a small shop requires more labor to run than a large shop on an employee per square foot basis.

Imagine there is 50,000 sf of retail in a theme park (Main Street USA has about 16,000 sf, so I feel like that might be right). At peak time, (an hour after fireworks, for instance) imagine that there is a demand for 100 cash registers. At off peak times, there is demand for 25 cash registers.

If you divide the retail space into 50 stores of 1,000 sf each, you would need to operate 50 cash registers at 50% utilization most of the day (or close half the stores at off peak times).

But if you divide the retail into 25 stores of 2,000 sf each, you can have 25 cash registers open and operate them at 100% utilization.

In both cases, you can scale up for the peak hour, pulling employees who do inventory and other logistics out of the back to handle the surge demand. But in the larger store version of the park, the park cn have fewer people dedicated to operating cash registers at off-peak hours. So all things equal, there is an advantage to running fewer shops with larger floor space at each.

I think this was illustrated quite clearly when the west side of Main Street USA was reconfigured to all be a single Main Street Emporium store instead of multiple shops. At off peak times, entire sections of the store lack open registers. In the old configuration, before the shops were all connected, it would have been impossible to close those registers without closing the store. But now, you can take the cloths from the menswear section to the plush section to check out, when previously they were not connected.

A similar thing happened in the chain of shops at the exit of Maelstrom / Frozen Ever After. The spaces were designed for separate stores with separate registers. But by the end of the Maelstrom days, all the registers except the ones towards the end of the chain were closed. (I don't go on Frozen very often, so I am not sure how they run the shops these days.)

This doesn't explain why the variety of merchandise would be lower. There is always a pressure to replace low profit margin, low sales volume items with high margin, high volume items. But I couldn't pretend to understand how that would apply at Disney parks, because I don't know what type of merchandise is one or the other.
This totally. Having less bigger stores means less staff so cost savings. I’m guessing the lack of variety is down to the accounting spreadsheets showing what items have the highest profits per square foot of space and making everything generic gives bulk discounts and lets you move stock between places to meet demand.

Personally I preferred the old days when merchandise was more specific and the various shops were part of the show. I never bought any memorabilia at Sid’s at mgm or the silversmith but we always had a look it was fun. Similarly main st and Hollywood boulevard were nicer to me as separate stores as it added character to the land

castlecake2.0

I think this could be part of Magic Kingdom suffering from its own popularity. It was arguably forced to streamline itself to be able to handle its crowds. All those cute little shops can’t handle all the people/strollers/ecvs. They end up becoming dissatisfiers because they’re small/crowded/“not Disney” enough. Then we end up with Main Street Mart USA

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom