Magic Kingdom Walkway?

beast

I was just playing around with Live and exploring around the Magic Kingdom. I found this random path in front of the Magic Kingdom down from the main entrance and boot docks. Does anybody have any idea what it's there for and if it's accessible by all guests?
Here's the link.Thanks!
http://maps.live.com/?v=2&sp=Point.nr26ch8610rf_Walkway___

At the end of the path you see the canal and another pathway on the opposite side. This path leads to the Grand Floridian Resort.

Rumor has it that a pathway would be made to connect the Grand Floridian Resort (and Polynesian Resort) to the Magic Kingdom. The problem is a bridge would need to be constructed over the canal to connect the two pathways. The canal is where the floats for the Electrical Water Pageant are stored, so maybe a tall bridge would need to be built to accomodate the floats. IMO, it really seems like a money issue that the bridge was never constructed.

Was this the walkway the guy on this monorail spiel I have was talking about? The spiel is definitely old because he mentions Discovery Island, but he was talking about a 3.5 mile walkway around the seven seas lagoon called "Walk Around the World." He also said each stone on the walkway was to "commemorate the name and year of an individual guest visit or an entire family vacation." Was this supposed to be the "Walk Around the World"?

jasondiff

Yup, that was it. They charged $135 I think for those bricks, but eventually had to stop selling them when they decided to not finish the walkway and the people who had bricks out in the middle of nowhere like near the canal complained.

I think they should have built a drawbridge over the canal. The walk from the GF wouldn't have been too bad, but from the Poly, I'd rather walk to the TTC and take the monorail.

jasondiff

The problem is that if the path were to be extended, guests would be given a view of back stage areas of the MK.

If you mean the canal and EWP storage, you can see it from the monorail.

I think one of the other problems was they'd have it illuminate the entire path for people walking back to the GF after park close. Although they did it for the walkway from MGM to Boardwalk.

MiceysBestPal

As mentioned earlier, on the "path" between the Grand Floridian and MK, there is a much-used "inlet" of water which is where the "Electrical Water Pageant" barges are stored. That would require a new bridge to be constructed and that bridge would either have to be an expensive "drawbridge" (I know they CAN do that, there's one on the WS Lagoon in Epcot, near China and "Africa") to allow the use by the EWP barges and possibly other higher profile watercraft, or simply find another waterway area to store those barges, etc.

But that side of the "loop's" problems pale by comparison to the MK-to-TTC section of the walkway.
It would require a wide, safe foot-traffic lane that runs through the same "under-the-water bridge underpass" portal near the front of Contemporary.
Back before MGM and several new resorts were built far removed from the monorail lines (and necessitating the operation of MANY new bus routes), save for those guests who drove to the CR, this ugly, narrow passage, with its steeply-inclined approaches and many exposed pipes and conduits, was never seen by most guests... UNTIL WDW decided (wisely) to put the resort bus stops for MK over AT the MK front gates (and not at TTC).
After that decision, the idea of threading a guest walkway though this too-small and now VERY BUSY underpass was simply not feasible.

mhead

Yup, that was it. They charged $135 I think for those bricks, but eventually had to stop selling them when they decided to not finish the walkway and the people who had bricks out in the middle of nowhere like near the canal complained.

I think they should have built a drawbridge over the canal. The walk from the GF wouldn't have been too bad, but from the Poly, I'd rather walk to the TTC and take the monorail.

Yep - but they did not stop selling them completely. They do still sell bricks on occasion - but you pretty much have to be in the right place at the right time. I got one in February of this year. Due to the limited nature of the bricks the price has increased a bit :lookaroun to $295.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
As mentioned earlier, on the "path" between the Grand Floridian and MK, there is a much-used "inlet" of water which is where the "Electrical Water Pageant" barges are stored. That would require a new bridge to be constructed and that bridge would either have to be an expensive "drawbridge" (I know they CAN do that, there's one on the WS Lagoon in Epcot, near China and "Africa") to allow the use by the EWP barges and possibly other higher profile watercraft, or simply find another waterway area to store those barges, etc.

But that side of the "loop's" problems pale by comparison to the MK-to-TTC section of the walkway.
It would require a wide, safe foot-traffic lane that runs through the same "under-the-water bridge underpass" portal near the front of Contemporary.
Back before MGM and several new resorts were built far removed from the monorail lines (and necessitating the operation of MANY new bus routes), save for those guests who drove to the CR, this ugly, narrow passage, with its steeply-inclined approaches and many exposed pipes and conduits, was never seen by most guests... UNTIL WDW decided (wisely) to put the resort bus stops for MK over AT the MK front gates (and not at TTC).
After that decision, the idea of threading a guest walkway though this too-small and now VERY BUSY underpass was simply not feasible.

I really don't follow this...first you said that the water bridge is ugly, and implied, dangerous and unthemed ....then you said that WDW "wisely" decided to submit their guests to this.

Personally, I like the waterbridge. I think it's unique and adds to the character of the area.

How about a ferry across the canal to the GF?
IMG5UWLdX.jpg

mrerk

Premium Member
Yep - but they did not stop selling them completely. They do still sell bricks on occasion - but you pretty much have to be in the right place at the right time. I got one in February of this year. Due to the limited nature of the bricks the price has increased a bit :lookaroun to $295.

Care to expand on this?

ToTBellHop

Many would disagree with you on that one.. as it destroys any 'approach' to the MK.. and breaks some of the ellusivness of when you travel to the MK..
yeah, and it also breaks the whole **waiting 45 minutes for a ferry or monorail** and the whole **massively over-crowded TTC** issue. If you really want the dramatic entrance, take the bus to Epcot and ride the monorail into the MK. For those of us who would like a chance to be inside the MK at opening without waking up at 5 am, though, the bus stops being close to all of the parks nowadays is a fine choice on Disney's part.

Bratstarman

Was this the walkway the guy on this monorail spiel I have was talking about? The spiel is definitely old because he mentions Discovery Island, but he was talking about a 3.5 mile walkway around the seven seas lagoon called "Walk Around the World." He also said each stone on the walkway was to "commemorate the name and year of an individual guest visit or an entire family vacation." Was this supposed to be the "Walk Around the World"?

Only DWorld would have the audacity to charge for bricks on a "road to nowhere".

cooleo

I purchased one for my son in early '97 for my son. Glad to see I got a real bargain. The price was $110 + I got a 10% discount & came out of it for only $99. It is located in front of the far left gate entrance to the TTC just as you exit the walkway from Poly. They used to send you a nice little certificate with the brick inscription on it. There is also a booth right in front of MK for assistance in locating your brick the first go round. Here it is below...

DSC02887.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom