News Magic Kingdom Vice President Dan Cockerell to retire

Kman101

I met Dan very briefly a number of years ago. I was looking for my favorite band that was performing at DHS at that time. It was a special EMH offering as President Obama had come into MK a few hours earlier for a speech that was done on Main Street. Obviously MK had to be closed off so EMH was quickly added for DHS and EPCOT for that night. I had gone over to the sound booth to see if they had the schedule for the band. A bunch of people were in the booth and one gentleman came over and we were discussing the act in question when Dan walked over, asked if he could help and pulled out a copy of a typed up schedule, found the information I needed and was so gracious about it!!!! I thanked him and went on my happy way, very excited that I had met Dan. He was very sweet, didn't put on airs or lord it over anyone else that he was with and yes as another poster said he is cute!! Sad to lose one of the good ones!! Marie

Aw, great story! He does sound like a really nice guy.

Kman101

there is a very famous story about Dan when he first became a VP a number of years ago. He was walking backstage and began talking with a Custodial Cast Member who had been with the company for nearly 25 years. They began to talk about their roles and what this cast memeber did specifically on a daily basis. Long story short Dan found out when her next shift was and was waiting for her in a Custodial White Uniform at the clock in location before her next shift. He then shadowed her for 3/4 hours and found out exactly what she did and how she did it. He was a good one who will be missed.

Thanks for sharing that! THAT is how you lead.

jakeman

there is a very famous story about Dan when he first became a VP a number of years ago. He was walking backstage and began talking with a Custodial Cast Member who had been with the company for nearly 25 years. They began to talk about their roles and what this cast memeber did specifically on a daily basis. Long story short Dan found out when her next shift was and was waiting for her in a Custodial White Uniform at the clock in location before her next shift. He then shadowed her for 3/4 hours and found out exactly what she did and how she did it. He was a good one who will be missed.
Just gonna put a tag in here:

@ford91exploder

TrojanUSC

His dad, for his part, was also a great leader at encouraging people to do their jobs well, showcasing the impact they can have on a day to day basis, making them feel empowered. He was a great leader.

What I had problems with, as did many others, was on the actual operations side of the job he was responsible for. Cutting hours, homogenizing food sourcing, etc. Took much from the hands of area leaders and corporatized it.

WEDwaydatamover

His father Lee has a great podcast by the way.

I too thought Dan was being primed for Georgies position.

But then I see Phil returning back to MK one day... There is still damage to be had.

He should hang up his teeth and call it a day.

Last edited:

WEDwaydatamover

Good luck with that! I think there are close to 180 episodes. The best I'd imagine are toward the beginning but I can't say for certain. I've only heard a handful or two.

He's not Adam Carolla. Common.

tirian

Disney has always been great with the "soft" perks - discounts, admission, etc. They're also great with their internal communications and org development - calling supervisors "leaders," heck even calling a janitor a "cast member" makes them feel better about cleaning toilets every day for pennies. What isn't so good are the real things that would make a difference - most importantly livable wages, better/healthier food in the cast cafeterias, etc.

As far as the #instadan, it's a bit tacky but you have to remember that he's almost a celebrity in that role. Way more cast members know who he is than will ever see him in person. Many executives at that level are standoff-ish or only communicate with managers or leaders. I remember one GM who people were petrified of because the only stories you heard was him giving reprimands to people when he walked through the park. To have an executive at that level, willing to be approachable, pose for photos and interact with the hourly cast probably did way more for MK cast morale than the "You said, we listened" campaign ever did.
Good point. I was hoping he’d eventually be VP in Burbank.

TrojanUSC

Good point. I was hoping he’d eventually be VP in Burbank.

He'd have at least three BIG levels to get through before getting to Burbank. From the VP of a park, you have SVP of operations, then President of WDW, finally they now have a level between the division chairman and the resort President.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom