Magic Kingdom to open for 24 hours on Memorial Day Weekend to kick off a Monstrous Summer

WinstonFl

I have to post a positive experience too. We arrived shortly before 8pm, and I think it only took us about 10-15 minutes from the time we passed the parking gate to get on the tram. We got in the park by about 9:00. We had dinner reservations at the Plaza for 10:40 so we didn't want to go too far so we found a nice spot next to the castle and waited patiently for Wishes. After Wishes it was definitely crazy. We made it to the Plaza in about 10 minutes and waited until our dinner reservation. There was wall to wall people. Wasn't unsafe, there was lots of security and cast and they had the overflow exit open between the Plaza and the Tomorrowland Terrace. I think there was a large amount of people coming in and a large amount of people leaving at the same time. I saw a couple angry people come by and yell at the Cast Members in front of the restaurant, but nothing too crazy.

Anyways by the time the 11:00pm castle show started, the crowd had thinned completely, and by 11:30 it was back to normal. We left our dinner near 12:00am, and were able to do almost the entire park by 6am. Even things that normally have long lines during the day that we haven't done. We did skip Splash Mountain that had under a 30 minute wait most of the night, and did skip Space Mountain that was about 30 minutes most of the night after the 10:00 rush ended. Overnight it was completely enjoyable, and the later it got the less people were there. By 6:00am I don't think there were very many people left. We were able to get right out, on the first monorail and tram to the parking lot with no wait.

I was watching wait times during the day on the app and they didn't seem to get very long. And nothing was more then 20-30 minutes after 12:00am except for maybe the Mountains for a short time. Was very enjoyable morning! Sorry for those that didn't have the same experience but besides for that 90 minute block everything seemed calm.

EvilQueen-T

I've felt unsafe being near the castle hub area on a regular summer night so i'm not shocked by bottleneck or people's complaints on this board regarding that issue. i wish they'd do something say maybe put up ropes for more of a walkway to maybe try to lessen that problem...or something i'm no expert but know enough to avoid that area like the plague, either way that area gets clogged not just on the 24hr nights. i really liked it when i went for leap year night but have to admit i was surprised they did one on a friday night of a major holiday weekend when a lot of schools are already out for the summer...doesn't seem like the time of year they need to try to bring in more people but more a recipe for a over packed park and upset guests. i don't want to be at disney when it's as packed as it is on say new years eve.

disney4life2008

Picking back up from earlier...

I arrived to the magic kingdom around 8pm friday night and the line for parking was a 30min wait. I was trying to make it in by 10 for wishes. Once i finally made it to main street it was 950pm. It was literally wall to wall people. After wishes, main street was on deadlock between people leaving and the night guests arriving. To the credit of others, it was ridiculously crazy however it was not unsafe. They had obvious playing clothes police, uniformed police, and cast members all throughout main street USA. To read that others felt unsafe is almost laughable. If you cant handle main street then you really couldn't handle being in times square on any night. But I digress...

After wishes I was able to get Casey's and eat by a trashcan and let the crowds funnel out and in. By the time things settled down it was about midnight. Waits at that point was about 40 mins for major attractions, 20mins or less for others. In all honesty, between midnight and 5am reminded me of an extended extra magic hour night because as the night went on, everything was walk on. By 4am, the entire park was pretty much walk on. It was absolutely an amazing experience to be able to watch the sun come up from the magic kingdom and celebrate with the few souls that made it to 6am. I proudly wear my button that I lasted all night.

To read that anyone was unsafe is the most laughable thing ever. Lets be real this is wdw and while its never true that nothing could happen.. Everyone was having a great time. A great night it was!!

NowInc

I just got home from my extended weekend at WDW, including a night in this event...I can say that when I arrived at MK at around 10:00pm I was surprised by how quickly I was able to get through the security check point and had high hopes that it was a sign that the rest of the night would go smoothly. Getting through turnstiles was also a breeze and only took about 3 minutes..and the main entrance hub area was not too crazy.....and then I actually got to main street. About halfway up...it was PURE PEOPLE GRIDLOCK. It was the worst I have ever seen it. I was unable to move in ANY direction for about 30 minutes. Once I finally snaked into Tomorrowland, the rest of the evening went off pretty much without a hitch. Wait times were exactly what I expected them to be and the only thing that really shocked me was the amount of parents dragging their kids around at 3am. I feel that even tho it was really packed, it was still fun. I didn't go there expecting to ride anything, and it really should have been considered more of a "Florida Resident" gathering...as that is what I saw as being the majority in attendance (myself included). I would do it again in a heartbeat. Expect my pictures soon ;) (Including a few awesome ones showing the gridlock on mainstreet)

NowInc

Approx 10:30pm.

Rlr3uiR.jpg

PhotoDave219

Things seemed to flow smoothly at MK, I personally wouldn't mind a 24hour event annually. They understand how to operate, and they have 2proven times that people will show up if they are open all night.

With the possible exception of time from parade through wishes and second parade.

An absolute disaster considering I have seen Park Ops manage larger crowds much better in that bottleneck area.

GymLeaderPhil

With the possible exception of time from parade through wishes and second parade.

An absolute disaster considering I have seen Park Ops manage larger crowds much better in that bottleneck area.
Agreed. Park Ops needs to utilize the same procedures that they've utilized for 4th of July/Parade Taping/New Years for the Hub and it's arteries if there will be another 24 hour event.

Jakester

I'm pretty sure Park Ops now understand how these events will work crowd wise. They just must be prepared between 7:00p thru 12:00a (saying fireworks and parade are the same times again) and they should be fine.

PhotoDave219

I'm pretty sure Park Ops now understand how these events will work crowd wise. They just must be prepared between 7:00p thru 12:00a (saying fireworks and parade are the same times again) and they should be fine.

I just dont get why they wouldnt be prepared like that as if it was a crowd of those proportions...

topgun6566

I arrived at 1:30 am ( got 45 minutes of sleep ) and stayed until 6 am. Crowds weren't too terrible, but waited in line for 25 minutes at BTM at 4 am. Didn't think that many people would still be there. Overall a very fun time. Nothing like a dole whip at 4:30 in the morning :) Im local so if this is a yearly thing I'll do it every year....just not all 24 hours....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom