Magic Kingdom rope drop

Thumper14

Original Poster
It has been a long time since I tried to catch a rope drop at Magic Kingdom. On Saturday, Nov 15 we are going to try to catch a rope drop for the benefit of a first time visitor in our group. Any tips?

stevehousse

Well if it been awhile the rope drop procedure is different from what u r used to. They use to just let everyone enter the park and go wherever they wanted. Now once the park opens, all guests are guided and walked behind cms to te hub where u can go to either tommorland or Adventureland or continue through the guided cms back through fantasyland...

They have this implemented due to te new mine train and Anna and Elsa meet n greet! Apparently it was getting to chaotic with everyone mad dashing to those 2 attractions...

Thumper14

Original Poster
Well if it been awhile the rope drop procedure is different from what u r used to. They use to just let everyone enter the park and go wherever they wanted. Now once the park opens, all guests are guided and walked behind cms to te hub where u can go to either tommorland or Adventureland or continue through the guided cms back through fantasyland...

They have this implemented due to te new mine train and Anna and Elsa meet n greet! Apparently it was getting to chaotic with everyone mad dashing to those 2 attractions...
Thanks!

Traver Freeman

It has been a long time since I tried to catch a rope drop at Magic Kingdom. On Saturday, Nov 15 we are going to try to catch a rope drop for the benefit of a first time visitor in our group. Any tips?

They do the welcome at the front of the park now, at least they did when we were there in November.

We were all corralled just inside the ticket booths but before going over to Main Street USA. They brought a train out and people danced and sang.

Last time I was at Disney we could go all the way in to the Hub and each land was roped off. If you get in extra magic hours, some of the lands are still roped off, and they do a drop, but not in the traditional sense you're thinking of where there's a countdown or anything.

mouse_luv

They do the welcome at the front of the park now, at least they did when we were there in November.

We were all corralled just inside the ticket booths but before going over to Main Street USA. They brought a train out and people danced and sang.

Last time I was at Disney we could go all the way in to the Hub and each land was roped off. If you get in extra magic hours, some of the lands are still roped off, and they do a drop, but not in the traditional sense you're thinking of where there's a countdown or anything.

The front of the park in front of/at the train station is where they always did rope drop. Before you were allowed to enter underneath the train station and into the park. The only time you were in before that was if you had a breakfast ADR before the park was scheduled to open.

Traver Freeman

The front of the park in front of/at the train station is where they always did rope drop. Before you were allowed to enter underneath the train station and into the park. The only time you were in before that was if you had a breakfast ADR before the park was scheduled to open.

Interesting, maybe I've got it mixed up with Disneyland then. Cause I distinctly remember having rope drop right at the Adventureland entry and this wasn't a magic hour day or breakfast thing.

mouse_luv

Interesting, maybe I've got it mixed up with Disneyland then. Cause I distinctly remember having rope drop right at the Adventureland entry and this wasn't a magic hour day or breakfast thing.

Since the Anna/Elsa mayhem they guide you after rope drop ceremony behind a rope and "walls" of CM's who stand at the entrance of all the lands so you have to go the way Disney wants you to go in.

stevehousse

Just a quick question. They changed our MK day to include extra morning hours now in May. Do they still do the official welcome show during the EMH or do they wait until the official 9am opening. Also, what is usually open that early? I haven't done an extra Magic hour In years, so I'm a little behind with the current situation...

disney4life2008

Just a quick question. They changed our MK day to include extra morning hours now in May. Do they still do the official welcome show during the EMH or do they wait until the official 9am opening. Also, what is usually open that early? I haven't done an extra Magic hour In years, so I'm a little behind with the current situation...

I think they do an abbreviated show at 8am for emh but no show at 9

Weather_Lady

There are several rope drops, outside of each land and in some cases, inside of them. When we were there in May, after the initial rope drop at the entrance to Main Street, we scurried to the castle-side entrance to Liberty Square in hopes of doing BTMRR and then Splash Mountain via a "road less traveled," only to be stopped at a second rope, just before the bridge into Liberty Square. (The crowd headed through Adventureland was also stopped at a rope, at the entrance to that land.) After being held there for a couple of minutes until a crowd gathered, the Adventureland and Liberty Square ropes were dropped simultaneously. We turned left in Liberty Square to head toward Splash/BTMRR, where we were stopped (in front of the Country Bear Jamboree) by a THIRD rope. (Again, could see another "third rope" in the distance by Pecos Bill's, holding back the guests who had come through Adventureland). After a couple more agonizing minutes, during which my pleas to the CMs that holding us back like this was "thematically inconsistent with the spirit of the American patriot" fell on deaf-but-amused ears, we were all finally released to head toward the Frontierland headliners.

While it was frustrating to be held back, the park had opened just after the Welcome Show but a few minutes before its official 9am opening time, so we were still in line for our first desired attraction at 9am, and the process provided a disincentive for anyone to push, shove, run, or otherwise behave badly, since by the time the third rope dropped, the entire rope drop crowd, including the stragglers, was there, and we all got to our desired attraction at roughly the same time.

TXDisney

We haven't done this yet. We try to check off a few things we've never done each trip, I think this will be one we will for sure do next trip.

RichVIII

We do rope drop as often as possible. The show typically starts 15 minutes before the park opens. The show lasts about 8 or so minutes. It is always 15 minutes to the park opening. If it is EMH it is 15 prior to that, they do not repeat the show for later. If you aren't on property you could technically still watch out outside of the gates but then you would have to wait an hour. It is always fun to get you started but they are very calculated now how they let people proceed back. You also need to watch for when the transportation to the Magic Kingdom starts. Sometimes the Express monorail typically doesn't open till 30 minutes prior to the gates opening so you want to be on an early express, ride the boat if they are running or take resorts to get over there early. It is nice to be already in (scanned your card or magic band) and waiting in the front area versus outside of the security check.

HakunaMatata89

if youre taking a resort bus, get to the bus stop early!
we tried to make rope drop several times and just had really poor bus luck. i we waited over an hour on more than one day for the first MK bus to even show up to our resort, by the time we got to the park (2 days) the opening show had ended as we were pulling in, major bummer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom