Magic kingdom power surge 8/31/19

griffin ferrari

Original Poster
As of 6:42 PM looks like all rides in the magic kingdom or down due to a giant power surge

Edit looks like the speed way, Dumbo, tea cups and jungle Cruise are still running is there any reason that these rights would still be operational if the rest of the park was off?

rodserling27

Jungle cruise is still up too. Very bizarre. Anyone know what happened? I was in line for small world when the lights flickered and everything shut down. Small world was running but they evacuated everyone. We were comped with a FP. Gotta wonder how long this will last.

griffin ferrari

Original Poster
Jungle cruise is still up too. Very bizarre. Anyone know what happened? I was in line for small world when the lights flickered and everything shut down. Small world was running but they evacuated everyone. We were comped with a FP. Gotta wonder how long this will last.
I was in Pecos Bill’s and the light flicked, I thought nothing of it until I went and saw splash getting evacuated. I kinda joked with an maintenance worker I said what was this a power surge he said something like that.

Liberty6

If it was truly just a surge and power was restored soon after it’s the result of how fast they can power the rides back up. Dumbo/ Small world are fairly easy while other like the mountains require engineering to go through and power the blocks back up. They may only be 3-4 CM per zone so they have to go ride by ride.

DHoy

As of 6:42 PM looks like all rides in the magic kingdom or down due to a giant power surge

Edit looks like the speed way, Dumbo, tea cups and jungle Cruise are still running is there any reason that these rights would still be operational if the rest of the park was off?
Happened this day 6 years glago

DHoy

If it was truly just a surge and power was restored soon after it’s the result of how fast they can power the rides back up. Dumbo/ Small world are fairly easy while other like the mountains require engineering to go through and power the blocks back up. They may only be 3-4 CM per zone so they have to go ride by ride.
A power surge resulting in a downtime is unlikely. What i imagine took place, is a power surge resulting in an immediate power failure due to the cascade. Engineering will not need to enter the attractions, normal ops will restart the attraction and resume operations.

hathawaybrowne

Well, Speedway is all gas powered cars and has no ride system that needs power.

mouse_luv

We had something like this happen right before Hurricane Erin in the 90s. We were in Living Seas at the time on the hydrolater that as a kid I was terrified of (still not a fan of elevator like things), Orlando was supposed to be testing generators and (grid) stuff before the storm hit and they accidentally tapped Disney's. IDK how much of that was true but as a tween it was what they told us at EPCOT.

ETA: And yes we got stuck in that hydrolater and my dad and brother had to force the doors open.

Last edited:

rodserling27

A few AA-heavy attractions are still down. Hall of Presidents, Splash Mountain, Country Bears, Haunted Mansion has been off and on. Space Mountain is down too but that of course happens more frequently...

Rich Brownn

Reminds me of the good old days when a power glitch would cause the AAs to go spastic (apparently the computers in those days --- tape drive -- would lose their place and try to reset but continue to send signals upstairs in random order). My first experience was sitting in the break room under Flight To The Moon when the power flickered and all the Moon girls screamed "GLITCH!" and ran out to do an E-stop. LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom