Magic Kingdom "Park 2 Annex"?

Advisable Joseph

Original Poster
Does anyone know what the "Park 2 Annex" building to the north of the Magic Kingdom is? I found permits for a "Park 2" project nearby that would impact a considerable amount of wetlands presumably named after this building.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Does anyone know what the "Park 2 Annex" building to the north of the Magic Kingdom is? I found permits for a "Park 2" project nearby that would impact a considerable amount of wetlands presumably named after this building.

There was an electrical permit for this location last year. There was a plan a while back to put more CM parking behind Small World and it indicated that there were high voltage supply lines around that area. What permits did you find?

1718754657681.png

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Here is the "Park 2" project. It was a plan from 2014 to expand CM parking, but it never happened.

1718754946795.png

Advisable Joseph

Original Poster
This was for new perimeter fireworks launch sites.
The actual permit says it was for stormwater management:

Project Summary
This Environmental Resource Permit authorizes Construction and Operation of a stormwater management (SWM) system serving 43.25 acres of commercial development known as MK Park
2 Roadside Site Modifications.
This proposed project will consist of a fenced gravel yard and access drive, concrete slabs, selective wetland clearing and landscape improvements and is consistent with Conceptual Permit
No. 48-00714-P, Application Nos. 100212-12 and 140801-15. Water quality treatment is provided in the existing Pond C that was previously authorized under Application No. 160714-4.
Issuance of this permit constitutes certification of compliance with state water quality standards in
accordance with Rule 62-330.062, F.A
Dewatering is also mentioned.

Now, if I'm reading this old post right, there have been launchers surrounded by SFWMD wetlands before 2021, so I'm not sure Disney would need the stormwater management just for the launchers.

Yellow represents a firework launcher. Blue are the newer smaller launch sites that came with Project Nugget/Disney Enchantment.

Red X's and Tron mean the site has been decommissioned since 2021.
View attachment 788196

Regardless, firework launch sites could always be moved further back behind Floridian Way. However, considering Disney just refurbished the launch site that sits on the Beyond BTMR plot, who knows..

Disney is preparing the land for ... something?

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The actual permit says it was for stormwater management:

Dewatering is also mentioned.

Now, if I'm reading this old post right, there have been launchers surrounded by SFWMD wetlands before 2021, so I'm not sure Disney would need the stormwater management just for the launchers.

Disney is preparing the land for ... something?

I looked over the permit again, it's just for work along that backstage road, not prep for anything bigger.

Advisable Joseph

Original Poster
I quoted the permit above.

The permit is also for "selective" wetland clearing over a large area. "Roadside Site Modifications" is a bit deceptive.

To me the name "MK Park 2 Roadside Site Modifications" means improvements for the "MK Park 2" project, which, if is not what it suggests at first glance, could be another attempt at a new parking lot ("car park"?), similar to what danlib_2000 suggests above.

Also,
-- It releases nearly 30 acres of wetlands, not just 15+ as I mentioned above. This doesn't sound like routine maintenance.

-- I should have said the project is related to the Park 2 Annex, instead of suggesting it was named after the building.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I quoted the permit above.

The permit is also for "selective" wetland clearing over a large area. "Roadside Site Modifications" is a bit deceptive.

To me the name "MK Park 2 Roadside Site Modifications" means improvements for the "MK Park 2" project, which, if is not what it suggests at first glance, could be another attempt at a new parking lot ("car park"?), similar to what danlib_2000 suggests above.

Also,
-- It releases nearly 30 acres of wetlands, not just 15+ as I mentioned above. This doesn't sound like routine maintenance.

-- I should have said the project is related to the Park 2 Annex, instead of suggesting it was named after the building.

Where are you seeing "It release nearly 30 acres of wetlands"?

The "Roadside Modifications" are for the fireworks launch sites in the permit.

I think you are reading to much into this. This appears to be just routine work in and around the wetlands.

Advisable Joseph

Original Poster
Where are you seeing "It release nearly 30 acres of wetlands"?
That explains the responses.

See page 6
Environmental Evaluation:
Wetlands and Other Surface Waters
The project will result in 27.57 acres of wetland impacts. Please see Exhibit 3.0 for wetland impact
locations and an updated mitigation ledger.

Mitigation for the wetland impacts was
provided at the Mira Lago site under Permit No. 48-00714-P / Application No. 140801-15.
Reedy Creek Improvement District shall deduct 27.57 credits from the Revised Table 11 - SFWMD LTP-2. The applicant is providing one full Unified Mitigation Assessment Methodology
(UMAM) credit of mitigation for each acre of direct impact proposed.

So no, that is not routine maintenance. Disney would not have to use mitigation credits like this for routine maintenance.

Direct link to Exhibit C, which has details about the wetlands and the mitigation credits.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom