Magic Kingdom Observations 5-12-12

medman1025

Unread Today, 22:50
WDWMAGIC Guest

Perhaps some people would be better suited to a different site that always wears it's rose colored glasses.

I will continue to visit wdwmagic.com to read their updates on the parks, but your comment is exactly why I won't bother with these forums...do you not find your comment unnecessary and rude?
Thanks to those who replied about reporting news...I understand, and it's appreciated to many (myself included)! I enjoy Disney...I have been many, many times and have done just about everything there -- I love it, and Orlando in general.
There's no need to be mean to anybody over anything that goes on, is going on, or will go on at Walt Disney World.

MissMorrow

People can have such different experiences can’t they? I was there yesterday too and was ready to leave after about an hour. Between the tarps, the walls, rides being down (Space was also down around 4), and the crowds, I didn’t “feel” like I was at the MK. It’s hard to explain what I mean, but it’s like something is off for me. At least for the moment.

td1129

This site is the best by far for the latest rumors and project updates, but good lord some of the people are insufferable. The anti-Disney management back-patting party and attitude that it's cool to be ultra critical make most of these threads unreadable.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This site is the best by far for the latest rumors and project updates, but good lord some of the people are insufferable. The anti-Disney management back-patting party and attitude that it's cool to be ultra critical make most of these threads unreadable.

Perhaps some people would be better suited to a different site that always wears it's rose colored glasses.

'nuff said

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Unread Today, 22:50
WDWMAGIC Guest

I will continue to visit wdwmagic.com to read their updates on the parks, but your comment is exactly why I won't bother with these forums...do you not find your comment unnecessary and rude?
Thanks to those who replied about reporting news...I understand, and it's appreciated to many (myself included)! I enjoy Disney...I have been many, many times and have done just about everything there -- I love it, and Orlando in general.
There's no need to be mean to anybody over anything that goes on, is going on, or will go on at Walt Disney World.

No, I find your trashing of this site to be unnecessary and rude. Thank you

Clever Name

Swiss Family Treehouse ?
Country Bear Jamboree ?
Tiki Room ?
Carousel of Progress ?
Tom Sawyer Island ?
Ride the train the complete circuit?

Let's be fair. Most of us learn that you only need to do CBJ and Tiki Room once to know that you never really need to do them again. :wave:

djkidkaz

Yeah I just got back from my vacation and I was most surprised by the size of the mine coaster mountain range. The pictures we all have been looking at do not scale properly, its MASSIVE!

Oh and something I really loved was the view from the new Fantasyland train station. They set it up perfectly so you can see Cinderella Castle through the trees of Storybook Circus. Its hard to explain, but you'll all see what I mean when your standing there. Its just an interesting new view.

Storybook Circus was nice and I think will be great once everything else opens and there is room to move around. Much better land than Toontown.

Wife got me a Keys to the Kingdom tour for our anniversary. Was nice but definitely geared towards someone who is a beginner Disney fan.

I found all the parks and our resort to be very well kept. CBR hasn't looked this good in years. All of the CM's were wishing us Happy Anniversary everywhere we went. This was the most attention we've ever gotten from wearing pins, it was crazy! Even when we were married, we didn't get as many compliments. CM's were all great. Well, except for the manager at Pecos Bills, he seemed to be one unhappy camper.

No issues with rides breaking down at all, didn't notice any broken effects and lines seemed like they moved just a little quicker with the new enforcement of FP, mainly TSMM.

Via Napoli had some of the best service I've ever seen at a restaurant. Pizza was good, my wife LOVED it. Portobello had a great server too, but the food was just average.

At DTD someone had a heart attack or died or something, there was a family screaming and people all around a guy laying on the ground. Not sure what happened. Eventually Disney folks showed up and pushed everyone away as they radioed for help. I heard someone say something about a pacemaker.

I will say this, I am getting to a point where I feel Disney really needs to start investing money in every park to bring some new attractions. At Epcot, Imagination building is, well, we all know, a dud. Seas w/ Nemo is meh. Test Track was down and we don't ride Mission Space as we'll puke. I mean, a refurb is nice and all, but they need to be doing these refurbs as well as creating new experiences. Don't sell me on coming back because you changed Test Track and turned Kim Possible into Phineas and Ferb. Animal Kingdom definitely needs something as well. As does the Studios.

I love Disney, I got married in Disney, I stand by them and try not to belittle every decision they make, but the parks definitely need some new stuff. Attractions, parades and shows. At the very least, Epcot, Animal Kingdom and the Studios should get one of each of these.

Oh well, thats all I got for now.

maryszhi

i hope big thunder will have a soft opening next week when I'm there :). if not ill just have to wait until next year when i will be back.
also totally agree with via napoli. i did a study abroad in Italy last year and the pizza i had in Italy tasted just as good as it is at via napoli, its so authentic :)

Tom

Beta Return
The purpose of the tarp is to cover incomplete work AND give access outside of the view of guests. The existence of tarp is inconsequential to when they work.

I disagree. The tarp allows them to work during the day, while guests are present, as opposed to just at night, like with some projects. Thus, because of the tarps, they could (in theory) work 24/7.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I disagree. The tarp allows them to work during the day, while guests are present, as opposed to just at night, like with some projects. Thus, because of the tarps, they could (in theory) work 24/7.

You even say it yourself.. 'in theory'

Remember this...
Lets say they only work 1 shift, and the work isn't done. What do they do? They must cover the site.
Lets say they work for 2 shifts. The work isn't done. What do they do? They must still cover the site.

The trap is needed no matter how little or lot they work. That's why it's irrelevant to them working during the day or not. Noise, access, and safety threats are what limit to when they work. The tarp is needed regardless of when they do the work because Disney choices to keep construction and ongoing projects 'out of sight' as much as they practically can.

menamechris

The trap is needed no matter how little or lot they work. That's why it's irrelevant to them working during the day or not. Noise, access, and safety threats are what limit to when they work. The tarp is needed regardless of when they do the work because Disney choices to keep construction and ongoing projects 'out of sight' as much as they practically can.

This.

The Empress Lilly

ITS%20A%20TARP%20House.jpg

The Empress Lilly

People can have such different experiences can’t they? I was there yesterday too and was ready to leave after about an hour. Between the tarps, the walls, rides being down (Space was also down around 4), and the crowds, I didn’t “feel” like I was at the MK. It’s hard to explain what I mean, but it’s like something is off for me. At least for the moment.
I know what you mean. It's called 'Declining by Degrees'. :cry:

One by one, bit by bit, the MK has been stripped of little details that make it 'magic'. You don't notice it from one detail to the next. What you do notice, eventually, is the idea that something is 'off'. That the MK is not the magical place anymore you once thought it was. A feeling that something is missing. The park feeling emotionally empty. Still fun and pretty, but not as fullfilling or immersive as it used to be.

It is a thousand little things such as are reported in observations as in this thread. A public awareness of them is what might (slowly has already?) turn the tide. That is the value of threads such as this. Far from being a cantakerous negative bunch, us 'Disney haters' are trying to preserve and restore the magic.

Tom

Beta Return
You even say it yourself.. 'in theory'

Remember this...
Lets say they only work 1 shift, and the work isn't done. What do they do? They must cover the site.
Lets say they work for 2 shifts. The work isn't done. What do they do? They must still cover the site.

Fine. You win :)

beachlover4444

I think people think the ride breaks when it takes a while to load/unload handicap accessible guests. Happens on every ride but usually gets back to working quick.

The other day a guest caused a huge delay at barnstormer. Lightning came so they had to down the ride. While they were unloading 1 car and 1 car was in waiting queue to come in to station, a lady got up and out of the car and starting walking along the ride. They had to do an emergency shut down which takes extra long so she caused what would have been a few minute delay be almost 30 minutes.

Dumb guests standing up on dumbo, not watching their kids, going into areas/zones they are not supposed to be in for safety causes alot of havoc for the castmembers and most waiting for guests.

Oh, and they are the first to complain and want free fastpass tickets.

UGH:zipit:

beachlover4444

could not agree more. I think when you go to the parks alot, like some of us do, a little magic gets lost. you miss the nostaligia of some rides. today's society makes it bad for me because some people are rude, cut in line, groups dont stay together, abuse wheelchair access, totally abuse guest assistance cards, and generally ruin it for everyone else. my fav thing is watching a newbie come and be blown away because they dont know what they were missing from before. that's the best. we took a girl from england last summer and she cried over the wishes/fireworks and i cried watching her. And she was 25 years old. So that is where the magic is.

Guppy_121

Just got back from the World...

Everything seemed fine to me...
...and yes I caught myself looking for defects, thanks to this sight, but will power allowed me to put the blinders back on, as I was starting to see the smallest thing and was annoyed with myself. :hammer:

As for Splash, I rode it several times, everything seemed fine, very enjoyable. Plus it is my understanding that they skipped the usual quickie refurb in Jan this year, because of the BTMR refurb. As well I believe the plan is once BTMR is back up and running it will be splash that will be down for a big refurb. They can not have them both down at the same time.

As for the rest of the refurbs going on, Disney cannot win, they do it and everyone complains about scrims being everywhere... now you guys are complaining saying they should do it all in one shot, that's great for those of you who can go more than once a year, or even once a year. but for most visitors imagine your one and only trip and everything is behind scrims... no they can not do that...

So they are doing it slowly but surely, I think the underlying point here should be they are doing it. You asked them for upkeep, so here they are doing just that, and now you find a way to complain about that too!

Is everything perfect... no, but I think ( from what I saw ) , they are attempting to get things back to where they should be, but they simply can not do it all at once, they HAVE to do it one building at a time. And that will take time. ( YES, they should not have let it get to this point where everything needs it, but that's done now, the only thing now is how to go about it from here. )

I would hope that once all the refurbs are done, that they will put some focus one adding to the other parks, after the FLE. it would seem logical to me that that is their plan.

ok rant over...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I've been reading this website for a while, and love it! But some of the replies people post that are nothing but complaints are really becoming tiresome. It's just a theme park, and it's a place to enjoy. Nothing's perfect anywhere - if tarps being up or a water projector screen being broken really bothers you that much, stop going to Disney World.
Other than that, thanks to everyone for nice trip reports, photos, and info...it really is a cool website! Just gets annoying listening to such vehement criticism about silly things...nothing about Disney is life or death - it just isn't.

It's only people venting. Try not to take it as complaints. just passionate concerns for our much beloved place.

PolynesianPrincess

I've been reading this website for a while, and love it! But some of the replies people post that are nothing but complaints are really becoming tiresome. It's just a theme park, and it's a place to enjoy. Nothing's perfect anywhere - if tarps being up or a water projector screen being broken really bothers you that much, stop going to Disney World.
Other than that, thanks to everyone for nice trip reports, photos, and info...it really is a cool website! Just gets annoying listening to such vehement criticism about silly things...nothing about Disney is life or death - it just isn't.

I see nothing but (almost all) positive comments in the OPs original post :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom