Magic Kingdom closing at 6pm 3x in one week? (Nov 8, 10, 11 - 2022)

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Is there something special going on that week? It's the week I go so of course I'm annoyed. Scrambling around my reservations because MK closes ridiculously early. Wed the 9 is my only option now and of course its extended evening for on property guests (I'm off property). So it will be busy I'm sure.

I find this obnoxious x 3 in one week. Is this normal? I bet many families go unaware of this and end up getting booted at 6pm after paying a small fortune.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Thanks for the info...........I'm not going to a park that closes at 6pm. That's robbery. Sorry but these special parties are overdone. 3x in one single week?

drizgirl

Thanks for the info...........I'm not going to a park that closes at 6pm. That's robbery. Sorry but these special parties are overdone. 3x in one single week?
It's gone on like this for decades.

It's actually nice going to the park on party days because the park has lighter traffic. Well worth the loss of time. But the reason for that is because so many feel like you do.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Do they carry on the christmas party nights other weeks? I could see doing one a week throughout the season but 3 just feels excessive to me. As you can probably tell I have not been on a full Disney trip since 1990 (went for 1 single day ~ 2009). So I am not used to all the changes that have occurred. On the front end of this trip (Nov 6-12 park days) I am contending with the half marathon. LOL.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is there something special going on that week? It's the week I go so of course I'm annoyed. Scrambling around my reservations because MK closes ridiculously early. Wed the 9 is my only option now and of course its extended evening for on property guests (I'm off property). So it will be busy I'm sure.

I find this obnoxious x 3 in one week. Is this normal? I bet many families go unaware of this and end up getting booted at 6pm after paying a small fortune.
Try October when the park closes early 4 times a week to double sell it.

drizgirl

Do they carry on the christmas party nights other weeks? I could see doing one a week throughout the season but 3 just feels excessive to me. As you can probably tell I have not been on a full Disney trip since 1990 (went for 1 single day ~ 2009). So I am not used to all the changes that have occurred. On the front end of this trip (Nov 6-12 park days) I am contending with the half marathon. LOL.
Right up until a few days before Christmas. And they only stop then because crowds hit peak level and they really can't close early. Same thing for Thanksgiving week. As I said, standard procedure for years, decades really at this point.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
ok I guess I'm just really late to the party - no pun intended. Glad I caught it, as I am about to go wild with my dining reservations and dining alerts (being off property I have to wait to book each day as they are revealed).

I was able to modify my day and swap with a trip to Universal, and then fix my alerts. At the end of the day not a crisis but man. I expect heavier than usual crowds but what else can you do? We purposely chose to leave MK for the middle-ish of our visit, so that is about my only play here.

MickeyLuv'r

ok I guess I'm just really late to the party - no pun intended. Glad I caught it, as I am about to go wild with my dining reservations and dining alerts (being off property I have to wait to book each day as they are revealed).

I was able to modify my day and swap with a trip to Universal, and then fix my alerts. At the end of the day not a crisis but man. I expect heavier than usual crowds but what else can you do? We purposely chose to leave MK for the middle-ish of our visit, so that is about my only play here.
According the WDW, Halloween is celebrated in August! Not just the end of August, but starting August 12th!

I agree it is annoying. It used to be that often on party nights Epcot would have PM Extra Magic Hours, so you could use those days to go to Epcot until midnight if you did not want to pay for the party. That was pretty reasonable, IMO.

In current WDW, this is a situation where park hopping has some benefit. Yes, it still bites to have to pay, but there is value in shelling out the extra to park hop all week. Time =$.

If you have transportation, another option is to use those PM hours to go beyond WDW. Even within WDW, a late dinner is one way to make use of the situation.

And as you said, there's also Universal!

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
According the WDW, Halloween is celebrated in August! Not just the end of August, but starting August 12th!

I agree it is annoying. It used to be that often on party nights Epcot would have PM Extra Magic Hours, so you could use those days to go to Epcot until midnight if you did not want to pay for the party. That was pretty reasonable, IMO.

In current WDW, this is a situation where park hopping has some benefit. Yes, it still bites to have to pay, but there is value in shelling out the extra to park hop all week. Time =$.

If you have transportation, another option is to use those PM hours to go beyond WDW. Even within WDW, a late dinner is one way to make use of the situation.

And as you said, there's also Universal!

Yep, my kids are old enough to not have to leave for naps, but young enough (6,7,9.5) that we will be eating dinner between 4-6:30pm if we can. I like your ideas though. In this case the simple swap with Uni should suffice.

MickeyLuv'r

Yep, my kids are old enough to not have to leave for naps, but young enough (6,7,9.5) that we will be eating dinner between 4-6:30pm if we can. I like your ideas though. In this case the simple swap with Uni should suffice.
Semi-jokingly I say, That's the fun of Mickey bars!

In all honesty, to zig when the crowd zags, we're willing to break all kinds of rules.

If the QS lunch line is long and we're hungry at noon, we'll often ice cream or fruit before lunch. Mind, we still try to limit our intake of junk food. I love that the parks now sell fruit.

Universal sells grapes in the HP lands. The ice cream in Diagon Alley is also very good!

Minnesota disney fan

We've been going to the MK on party days for years. We find that with the lower crowds you can get as much done in those shorter hours than on a typical day. Lots of guests stayed away on those days, and it was a lot of fun without large crowds.
However, with the "new" disney, I don't know if that will change or not!

NickMaio

Look at All The Halloween party nights in sept and Oct.....it's obscene.
Still charging full price when you are required to leave at 6pm is NOT OK.
wake up Disney, get back the customer service you once set the bar for.

It could be worse… you could be there November 13th-19th like me and have the party on FOUR nights instead of three. 🤣🤦🏻‍♀️

NickMaio

No wonder these ticket events sell out......
People just want to go to the MK on their vacation.
Not alot of options otherwise.

thomas998

This is pretty much the norm for both Christmas and Halloween parties. Usually they are 3x a week early on and closer to the holiday they will happen 4x a week. When you see how much they charge now for the tickets you start to understand that from a business standpoint it makes lots of sense. I'm really surprised that for the week before Halloween or Christmas that they don't do the party every night. They are selling out so there is clearly demand even at what I would consider insane prices for what you get at the parties.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom