Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhwdw

I believe Martin has confirmed that EPCOT Forever is returning first with HarmonioUS likely delayed until 2022.

They have actually been testing the summertime mini projection shows for the last few weeks. We will likely see this debut around June or sooner before the return of HEA and OUAT.

The update is doubtful, but the current plan is to return some form of FoF by the 50th. Last I heard they are planning on transitioning from the cavalcades to a cavalcade version of FoF where each unit will be sent down the parade route individually at different times throughout the day. This plan could change, but it would make a lot of sense if they're not comfortable with crowds.

See above. 😉

Doubtful. Entertainment will begin to return this year.
Will it be like what we saw this Christmas or something more?

Might plans change for the better when Herd Iumuneity happens? I heard it could happen by April or May if things go right.

TTA94

Might plans change for the better when Herd Iumuneity happens? I heard it could happen by April or May if things go right.

Just have to remember it will take some time for entertainment to resume, it can’t happen at the flick of a switch. One of the major setbacks is going to be bringing back CMs and techs. Which they will likely have to hire some new ones as by now many probably moved on. Harmonious and F! might be safe. HEA and FoF idk.
Unfortunately another nail in the coffin for PTN this year is they would need time to ship the floats over, re assemble them, program, hire cast, do rehearsals. That could take months. Even if they green light entertainment by let’s say May, I don’t know if that would allow enough time for PTN? Guess that would greatly depend on how badly they want it for the 50th kickoff.

jrhwdw

Just have to remember it will take some time for entertainment to resume, it can’t happen at the flick of a switch. One of the major setbacks is going to be bringing back CMs and techs. Which they will likely have to hire some new ones as by now many probably moved on. Harmonious and F! might be safe. HEA and FoF idk.
Unfortunately another nail in the coffin for PTN this year is they would need time to ship the floats over, re assemble them, program, hire cast, do rehearsals. That could take months. Even if they green light entertainment by let’s say May, I don’t know if that would allow enough time for PTN? Guess that would greatly depend on how badly they want it for the 50th kickoff.
Does EF and Harm. have the same staff minus EF's Kite Staff? Looks to me the only people working now is Harm's staff. If EF's staff is already working, it won't have to be recalling/find new people like FOF/HEA/F!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Does EF and Harm. have the same staff minus EF's Kite Staff? Looks to me the only people working now is Harm's staff. If EF's staff is already working, it won't have to be recalling/find new people like FOF/HEA/F!

Thought I read here somewhere that the kites were not coming back even if EF returns.

MadTeacup

And your thoughts on the whole PTN idea?
Honestly, IF Magic Kingdom had ever bought into the idea in the first place, I doubt it's still on the table. There's currently no ROI for new entertainment offerings when there is so much demand for the old entertainment offerings to return. This is likely a main factor as to why EPCOT Forever will return before Harm debuts. The smartest thing right now is to market the re-launch of "The most magical shows on earth" for the 50th and debut a new night parade a year or two down the road. I know that's a very corporate sounding answer, but the parks have to be careful with money right now while most of the parks outside of Florida remain closed. Also, WDW never wanted Paint the Night. Say what you want about the floats not fitting - that was never the reason we didn't get it. WDW didn't want it because of the unreliable technology it is built with. If the electronics in the costumes can't even hold up to a performer's sweat, imagine how they would fare in a Florida rain. I expect that the next nighttime parade we see at the Magic Kingdom will be entirely original.

Based on the testing I've seen (It's mostly been programming of lighting cues), it will probably be a lot like Christmas. The June date I threw out there is honestly a guess based on the FoLK announcement. It could possibly happen sooner, but will likely depend on when they decide to restore regular nighttime closing hours to Magic Kingdom's calendar. If by plans you mean HEA, I wouldn't count on it as soon as June. Herd immunity is in sight, but I honestly believe that April or May is a bit too optimistic.
Doubtful. Harm is a much more technically advanced show and will likely require significantly more technicians in more positions to successfully and safely operate all the show systems. Also, the people currently working on Harm are likely third party contractors who are designing and building the show. Of all the shows on property, the easiest to bring back from a staffing perspective might be FOF, HEA/OUAT, and EF. That said, It might be difficult to staff them all in the same day. FOF is the only performer-based show on property that *might* not require auditions because it only features character performers and no equity/contracted performers.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
For the past two years, WDW has been constantly shifting and changing what they're going to do with their EPCOT night show and what and which shows will run and for how long and when they'll start.

At this point, those who keep asking what's going to happen are trying to pin it down are just as likely to get hard answers to questions like: Will it rain the second Tuesday of March?

We don't know.

Ask again tomorrow.

We still won't know.

Open up your window and look outside. Do you see it? It's a world wide pandemic. It makes planning nigh impossible and everything keeps changing. So, ask again next week.

And we still won't know.

But this thread is about the 50th Anniversary, so, see above.

Thinker of Things

Not surprising, with those barges in the water.
Of course the barges are easy to point-out given their size, however, 3 factors come to mind before anything relating to the Harmonious barges being reason kites wouldn’t come back should we see EF make another appearance on World Showcase Lagoon.

1.) Lack of ability to physically distance the cast members on each watercraft.
2.) Reliability - from what Ive heard, the kites seemed to be a very moody bit of technology that caused show quality issues. LEDs out, entire kites not illuminating, etc.
3.) Cost - there was already a B-mode to the segment of the show that omitted the kites altogether, previously used when the kites weren’t cooperating.

Last edited:

EpcotCentre1982

Honestly, no one knows where we will be in October. I have a feeling it'll be low key celebration. They'll probably err on the safety side of things. Why plan huge when it can be taken away in an instant? If anything new does happen, I can see them doing harmonious since it is such a huge space for distancing. But once some entertainment comes back in the summer they can also see what works and how crowds are working, etc.

jrhwdw

The stage had water damage due to it setting for a couple of months without entertainment cast members squeegee the water off the stage. It’s warped beyond repair and needs replacement
A couple of months?? I could be totally wrong here but no one has been on that stage since March 15, 2020?

Should be intresting if we get another Stage Re-Design out of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom