News Magic Kingdom 4:30pm close in May 2022 (originally January 25 2022)

ToTBellHop

We are only in Feb, still plenty of time for some deep pockets to come and do a few more buyouts later in the year. May be a record year for the early close lol
Yes, I forgot about the DHS closure in April, too. So we are at 5.

Wish I could rent out a park.

ToTBellHop

Not really fair to the cast affected. Plan it far ahead so guests have fair warning.
With respect, the circumstances that led to this moment are unprecedented. A pandemic delayed one year’s celebration so that it was two weeks before the next year’s celebration and then weather postponed both.

There does reach a point when impact on guests is excessive and I think four 4:30 pm MK closures in 6 months might be past that point. I have been supportive of this event throughout this thread, but Disney does need to consider impact on paying guests during an anniversary celebration.

castlecake2.0

With respect, the circumstances that led to this moment are unprecedented. A pandemic delayed one year’s celebration so that it was two weeks before the next year’s celebration and then weather postponed both.

There does reach a point when impact on guests is excessive and I think four 4:30 pm MK closures in 6 months might be past that point. I have been supportive of this event throughout this thread, but Disney does need to consider impact on paying guests during an anniversary celebration.
I disagree, I lost my job, still haven’t got my service award from July 2020, and now have had the service celebration cancelled, and now I should be expected to condense/lower expectations for the rescheduled party? Not feeling that. I more than most will always give up things for guests (you better believe I never sit on the benches in monorails when I visit because the guest deserves that seat and I should stand, among many other things) but this event is to recognize cast that have given anywhere from 10 to fifty years of their lives to this place. Guests will survive the park closing early a couple days.

cmwade77

I disagree, I lost my job, still haven’t got my service award from July 2020, and now have had the service celebration cancelled, and now I should be expected to condense/lower expectations for the rescheduled party? Not feeling that. I more than most will always give up things for guests (you better believe I never sit on the benches in monorails when I visit because the guest deserves that seat and I should stand, among many other things) but this event is to recognize cast that have given anywhere from 10 to fifty years of their lives to this place. Guests will survive the park closing early a couple days.
I think people who are complaining need to suck it up and understand what the CMs do to make the magic for us guests and that their dedication should be rewarded. Seriously Disney could close MK at 4:30 PM once a month and I think it still would be fine.

JoeCamel

I think people who are complaining need to suck it up and understand what the CMs do to make the magic for us guests and that their dedication should be rewarded. Seriously Disney could close MK at 4:30 PM once a month and I think it still would be fine.
Dang what are those keys again? For the benefit of who?
Disney created these expectations and when they fail to meet them people really don't care if it is to honor years of servitude they just want what they paid for not a truncated version.

Lilofan

Yes, I forgot about the DHS closure in April, too. So we are at 5.

Wish I could rent out a park.
Rent out the park happens ( ie 10 K plus Pop Warner football kids from all over the USA ) DHS one evening , including all u can eat and drink at rent out the park, when Pop Warner has competitions at ESPN . Future stars of the NFL.

peter11435

Disney created these expectations and when they fail to meet them people really don't care if it is to honor years of servitude they just want what they paid for not a truncated version.
🙄

They’ve been closing parks early for cast events for decades.

Park hours are published months in advance. Nobody pays for a day not knowing they close early except as a result of their own ignorance.

castlecake2.0

They are given several months notice the park is going to close early that day. As I said before we are all well aware that guests come first and they are the reason we are here. Closing a park ( it is not always MK) early once a year(in normal times) to host a party for cast that have given 10-50 years of guest service hardly seems something to get upset about.

OG Runner

The cast member appreciation event will not take place when the Tron Coaster opens.
Isn't it better to have an exact date? Oh, there isn't an exact date for the opening?
Oh Well!

ToTBellHop

They are given several months notice the park is going to close early that day. As I said before we are all well aware that guests come first and they are the reason we are here. Closing a park ( it is not always MK) early once a year(in normal times) to host a party for cast that have given 10-50 years of guest service hardly seems something to get upset about.
I think it would feel far less irritating if they extended hours back to normal on nights when these events are canceled. It is certainly within their power to stay open later tonight.

OG Runner

I think it would feel far less irritating if they extended hours back to normal on nights when these events are canceled. It is certainly within their power to stay open later tonight.
Maybe. Think you are scheduled to be off that day or for your day to end at a certain time, do you want to be called in
or asked to stay. I don't think I would want to. Remember your vacation is their work.

ToTBellHop

Maybe. Think you are scheduled to be off that day or for your day to end at a certain time, do you want to be called in
or asked to stay. I don't think I would want to. Remember your vacation is their work.
They extend hours all the time and have often done so day-of in years past. I’ve been in the park when hoirs were extended that night with an extra showing of the electrical parade (remember that?) added. They did not suddenly lose the ability to do this. They just don’t care to anymore.

castlecake2.0

I wish that could be an option but is pretty much operationally impossible. Best they could do would be to extend the park hours an additional hour tonight.

castlecake2.0

The park isn’t staffed for normal guest operations during the party so like you said it would require a lot of labor trying to be adjusted that is pretty much impossible to get fixed in one days notice. Disney also doesn’t do “call in” shifts, so it’s not even an option to have a labor backup plan in place for this situation.

OG Runner

They extend hours all the time and have often done so day-of in years past. I’ve been in the park when hoirs were extended that night with an extra showing of the electrical parade (remember that?) added. They did not suddenly lose the ability to do this. They just don’t care to anymore.
You have no idea if that is the situation. Do you know what there staffing levels are at right now? Also as I mentioned they were
going to close early for a cast member event. The cast members were therefore told they would be out at a certain hour. It could
be they care more about the cast members.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
You have no idea if that is the situation. Do you know what there staffing levels are at right now? Also as I mentioned they were
going to close early for a cast member event. The cast members were therefore told they would be out at a certain hour. It could
be they care more about the cast members.
Typically in the past, cast would just be told they are being extended. The news could come as late as a couple of hours before.

Now I would imagine that since they have already announced the 4:30pm close, they can save labour costs and leave it at that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom