Magic Key Renewals?

Ryan120420

I don't think it will be any worse than when WWoHP opened.

Universal Studios Hollywood nuked their Annual Passholder program 9 months prior to Potter opening in 2016. When they re-introduced Annual Passes just before Potter soft opened they were extremely restrictive and almost double the price compared to the previous passes. When the passes were brought back, even the highest tier of AP had a ton of blackout dates and no parking. Over the next year and half after Potter opened, they were, sometimes on a weekly basis, introducing new tiers of AP and Season Passes and benefits trying to re-capture their former AP base until settling on the passes that are available today.

This time around, the only major change that USH made to their passes is restricting the Express benefit that Platinum Passholders get until after 3pm. They also put the ability for the park to require reservations into the terms and conditions of owning an Annual Pass.

Other than those two changes there have been no major price increases or increases to blackout dates (yet). So when Super Nintendo World opens, USH will have a very healthy AP base that will be able to visit the park.

Disstevefan1

Universal Studios Hollywood nuked their Annual Passholder program 9 months prior to Potter opening in 2016. When they re-introduced Annual Passes just before Potter soft opened they were extremely restrictive and almost double the price compared to the previous passes. When the passes were brought back, even the highest tier of AP had a ton of blackout dates and no parking. Over the next year and half after Potter opened, they were, sometimes on a weekly basis, introducing new tiers of AP and Season Passes and benefits trying to re-capture their former AP base until settling on the passes that are available today.

This time around, the only major change that USH made to their passes is restricting the Express benefit that Platinum Passholders get until after 3pm. They also put the ability for the park to require reservations into the terms and conditions of owning an Annual Pass.

Other than those two changes there have been no major price increases or increases to blackout dates (yet). So when Super Nintendo World opens, USH will have a very healthy AP base that will be able to visit the park.
My question is, will existing AP holders be able to enter Super Nintendo World without upgrading their existing AP?

Ryan120420

My question is, will existing AP holders be able to enter Super Nintendo World without upgrading their existing AP?

The land will be included with admission to the park, so as long as your pass isn't blocked out for the day you will be good to go.

Of course Universal may require reservations to get into the park and or land. We will see what happens.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
SNW is pretty tight.
It's hella tight!

1660336836030.png

Oh.....we aren't talking about the same SNW. :cool:

TP2000

I thought I was SOOO clever. There are lots of folks around the web picking up on being "Undesirables."

Disney's Burbank execs think we're "Unfavorable", not "Undesirable".

Unfavorable actually seems cooler, more edgy. Undesirable sounds like the girl still left in the bar at 2am.

And with that, have a great weekend everybody! Try to be more unfavorable, if you can! :cool:

Parteecia

When they re-introduced Annual Passes just before Potter soft opened they were extremely restrictive and almost double the price compared to the previous passes. When the passes were brought back, even the highest tier of AP had a ton of blackout dates and no parking.
Are you sure about this? I had the top pass when WWoHP opened and went to an AP preview. I have never paid separately for parking nor had blackout days there. I recall that the price went up but I considered it a bargain compared to Disney - and still do.

Ryan120420

Are you sure about this? I had the top pass when WWoHP opened and went to an AP preview. I have never paid separately for parking nor had blackout days there. I recall that the price went up but I considered it a bargain compared to Disney - and still do.

Yes. When passes were re-introduced in November 2016 the highest level of pass was Gold for $299 and it had no parking and a ton of blackout dates.

Platinum was introduced in Jan 2016 for $599 and included parking and no blackout dates. Then after Potter opened the weekly changes to tiers, benefits, and blackout dates started once the park saw that attendance was too light.

The biggest changes were that the Gold pass got parking added to it and Platinum got Express Pass and 1 HHN ticket.

Does anyone else feel like we’re being incredibly insulted by mr all about the money? DL used to be considered a locals park, and now we’re being punished for being locals. Last I checked, all the huge tour groups went to wdw because l, frankly, you can spend more time and money there.

Californian Elitist

Does anyone else feel like we’re being incredibly insulted by mr all about the money? DL used to be considered a locals park, and now we’re being punished for being locals. Last I checked, all the huge tour groups went to wdw because l, frankly, you can spend more time and money there.
Absolutely, and I don’t even own a pass anymore. Disney helped create their audience. I’ve said this before, but I’ll say it again: people complain about passholders/key holders, but Disney not only helped establish the culture, but encouraged it, too. For years, they had AP-only events, AP-only merchandise, special newsletters, making sure we got our discounts, etc. Even now, they send emails and have ads that encourage folks to renew their passes. I definitely received an email encouraging me to buy a key pass when they debuted. They’ve played a big part in this, and now the very fan base they’ve helped create consists of “unfavorable” guests. Huh? Disrespectful.

As you stated, we are not WDW and likely never will be. The odds of out-of-towners outnumbering locals and Californians in general are slim to none. Pretty sure this is the way it’s always been. The parks attracts a different kind of clientele. Disneyland’s fans are super loyal and passionate, so to call them “unfavorable” is rude AF, but also unsurprising, since all they care about is money.

shambolicdefending

I think it's a bit over-sensitive to consider it a personal insult, tbh.

Nobody said MK holders, themselves, were unfavorable. He said the guest ratio is, which isn't exactly breaking news.

It's true what Elitist mentioned above. It's a problem of Disney's own making. But, they're taking steps to solve it now. What else are they supposed to do?

And it's a real stretch to say anybody's being punished.

Yes, the value of locals passes has changed, and that's disappointing for a lot of people. But, we all had to know that would happen eventually. With DL's popularity and inherent capacity limits, the low-price, high-usage APs were never going to be around forever.

But, as long as there's any kind of local discount program it's a little silly to consider it "punishment."

Last edited:

Parteecia

Y
Yes. When passes were re-introduced in November 2016 the highest level of pass was Gold for $299 and it had no parking and a ton of blackout dates.

Platinum was introduced in Jan 2016 for $599 and included parking and no blackout dates. Then after Potter opened the weekly changes to tiers, benefits, and blackout dates started once the park saw that attendance was too light.

The biggest changes were that the Gold pass got parking added to it and Platinum got Express Pass and 1 HHN ticket.
You're right. Looking up articles from those days, I see that USH started removing blackout days after the expected crowds failed to materialize. Much like how they didn't show up for Galaxy's Edge. Now I'm even more curious about what will happen with Nintendo.

Last edited:

jencor

We are in a bit different place with magic keys. My wife and I bought ours just this last May, just before they shut down. We also have not even used it yet. We will be there the end of October for our first visit with our magic keys. We are watching all this in a different perspective for us. Our passes are still good for a year, wondering what goes on with everyone else and if they will somehow make changes that may affect us. I should say we live in Phoenix and plan on going for 3 to 4 days about 6 to 7 times.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

Disney sees “unfavorables” as anyone, whether local or out of state, who is—in their eyes—not paying enough to get in, not staying at their overpriced hotels, and not buying enough Mickey garbage once inside.

Maybe the solution is to make the AP program invitation only, Disney knows exactly how much we all spend because we all scan our passes for discounts.

Spend $x.00 amount average per visit and you get an invite to renew, don’t spend enough you don’t get an invite. Problem solved.

This is done already with Club 33, you have to be invited to renew every year and members know that their spending, visit habits, and acting properly all factor into that decision.

Rich T

Maybe the solution is to make the AP program invitation only, Disney knows exactly how much we all spend because we all scan our passes for discounts.

Spend $x.00 amount average per visit and you get an invite to renew, don’t spend enough you don’t get an invite. Problem solved.

This is done already with Club 33, you have to be invited to renew every year and members know that their spending, visit habits, and acting properly all factor into that decision.
Ewww, no thank you. There’s a big difference between a small, hidden club most people don’t know about and a famous historic theme park that was meant to be affordable and accessible to the entire world. Anyone who can afford to spend a required minimum to gain access to an invite to be a freaking AP holder so that they can *gag* spend the required minimum to please their Mouse Lord again and again… Well, that person can afford to buy a day ticket as many times as they want anyway.

I, personally, would love to see all AP’s eliminated permanently. Just offer reasonably priced, non-transferrable, multi-day Flex Passes like they used to. It worked great. It’s hard for the youngsters to believe, but a trip to Disneyland used to be so affordable that the average local could easily take their family a couple of times a year, and even a low-paid Universal employee like myself could go solo a couple times a month. Before APs existed.

Kids have no idea how insanely better Disneyland used to be in every way except the burgers.

Before the dark times. Before the (spits it out) Empire.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom