Magic Eye Theater and Submarines?

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Anyone know what is the fate of these two attractions?

Hopefully Captain EO could at least start playing once restrictions go away.

J4546

Nothing announced as far as I know....I doubt anything as major as re-imagining the subs/autopia area is gonna be announced anytime soon, as much as I would like it to be.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Captain EO has been gone for more than five years. As much as I loved it, it's never, ever coming back.
I think it will. Johnny Depp was also accused of something bad and he gets 20 animatronics and a walk around character. Just like Michael, courts found both men were not guilty of wrong doing.

Because Depp is white people accept the outcome of his trial, with Michael everyone made up their own mind before the trial even began.

PiratesMansion

I think it will. Johnny Depp was also accused of something bad and he gets 20 animatronics and a walk around character. Just like Michael, courts found both men were not guilty of wrong doing.

Because Depp is white people accept the outcome of his trial, with Michael everyone made up their own mind before the trial even began.
It's not even about whether or not MJ was guilty or not. It's that Pirates, with or without Depp, is an iconic ride and movie franchise.

Captain EO, on the other hand, was a cult item that was easy to miss and, particularly in its second incarnation, was enjoyed by many ironically. That you and I enjoyed it does NOT mean that for most people it was iconic-far from it. And given the longevity (or lack thereof) of every single 3D film that's come to Disneyland, it would have petered out no matter who was at the center of the film.

By the end it was Mr. Lincoln but without the historical significance or tie to Walt to keep it alive.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
It's not even about whether or not MJ was guilty or not. It's that Pirates, with or without Depp, is an iconic ride and movie franchise.

Captain EO, on the other hand, was a cult item that was easy to miss and, particularly in its second incarnation, was enjoyed by many ironically. That you and I enjoyed it does NOT mean that for most people it was iconic-far from it. And given the longevity (or lack thereof) of every single 3D film that's come to Disneyland, it would have petered out no matter who was at the center of the film.

By the end it was Mr. Lincoln but without the historical significance or tie to Walt to keep it alive.
Cult item can apply to Small World, Haunted Mansion, and Tiki Room. Everyone embraces the 60s cheese, why not the 80s as well?

I get Capatain EO isn't the best work of art, but its damn good entertainment.

The fact that Disney has a great purpose made 3D film with the biggest entertainer of all time and instead houses movie trailers or an empty theater is insulting.

PiratesMansion

Cult item can apply to Small World, Haunted Mansion, and Tiki Room. Everyone embraces the 60s cheese, why not the 80s as well?

I get Capatain EO isn't the best work of art, but its damn good entertainment.

The fact that Disney has a great purpose made 3D film with the biggest entertainer of all time and instead houses movie trailers or an empty theater is insulting.
Sure, but clearly there's a hierarchy at work.

Small World, Haunted Mansion, even Tiki Room on occasion are iconic enough that even people who haven't been to the park are likely to know about them.

Captain EO, by contrast, wasn't even iconic enough for most people who went to the park regularly to visit it more than a few times.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Sure, but clearly there's a hierarchy at work.

Small World, Haunted Mansion, even Tiki Room on occasion are iconic enough that even people who haven't been to the park are likely to know about them.

Captain EO, by contrast, wasn't even iconic enough for most people who went to the park regularly to visit it more than a few times.
Yet we all know Lincoln and Tiki Room have never accomplished gangbuster attendance outside the 1960s, but both are still around.

There could be many more classics if Disney didnt let everything die these days.

PiratesMansion

Yet we all know Lincoln and Tiki Room have never accomplished gangbuster attendance outside the 1960s, but both are still around.

There could be many more classics if Disney didnt let everything die these days.
Tiki Room was the first AA show. Lincoln was the first human AA show.

Both were tied directly to Walt. That has protected them from removal.

Captain EO is neither an AA show nor is it tied to Walt. It also bleeds the 80s in every fiber of its being, for better or worse, dating it far worse than anything in Tiki Room or Lincoln.

If film previews simply *MUST* be shown in Disneyland Park (and it's clear to modern Disney that they must), the Magic Eye Theater, otherwise home to a dated 3D film that few people watched and has no direct tie to Walt is a far better choice than Lincoln. Heck, I'm sure most of the time it gets better attendance than EO did in its last few years at the very least. And the very problem of 3D films not being repeatable? Well, if you swap out one film preview with another, then you might just get people to stop in again!

Like I said, I loved EO too, but I have no illusion that my opinion was shared by even half the people inside Disneyland Park at any given moment during its second run. It might as well have been Country Bears with how much people cared to go out of their way to see it.

Sharon&Susan

Tiki Room still garners for all the seating inside the theater to be filled whenever I go and see it. I can honestly say I've never seen that happen to any 3D show at Disneyland and it's been a longer time (maybe a decade?) since I've seen one single row filled in any of them.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Tiki Room was the first AA show. Lincoln was the first human AA show.

Both were tied directly to Walt. That has protected them from removal.

Captain EO is neither an AA show nor is it tied to Walt. It also bleeds the 80s in every fiber of its being, for better or worse, dating it far worse than anything in Tiki Room or Lincoln.

If film previews simply *MUST* be shown in Disneyland Park (and it's clear to modern Disney that they must), the Magic Eye Theater, otherwise home to a dated 3D film that few people watched and has no direct tie to Walt is a far better choice than Lincoln. Heck, I'm sure most of the time it gets better attendance than EO did in its last few years at the very least. And the very problem of 3D films not being repeatable? Well, if you swap out one film preview with another, then you might just get people to stop in again!

Like I said, I loved EO too, but I have no illusion that my opinion was shared by even half the people inside Disneyland Park at any given moment during its second run. It might as well have been Country Bears with how much people cared to go out of their way to see it.
I can see what you're getting at. However I'd bet you every dollar I have that Adventures Through Inner Space and Minetrain Through Nature's Wonderland would also be classics if they weren't demolished.

People forget about the rides Walt made that were torn down, if still around, despite their 50s/60s cheesiness, they would be loved and embraced.

As for firsts, Captain EO is the first 4D film ever created.

PiratesMansion

I can see what you're getting at. However I'd bet you every dollar I have that Adventures Through Inner Space and Minetrain Through Nature's Wonderland would also be classics if they weren't demolished.

People forget about the rides Walt made that were torn down, if still around, despite their 50s/60s cheesiness, they would be loved and embraced.

As for firsts, Captain EO is the first 4D film ever created.
I'd agree with that, except that even ATIS and Mine Train had Walt ties. They, too, were iconic on the level that Captain EO simply is not-there are still people nostalgic for those rides, with good reason.

But I think if you were to have an honest conversation with most people who were regularly going to the park around the time EO closed that most of them would not have been shocked in the slightest that EO closed.

Clearly EO has special meaning for you, and that's great. But you seem to feel that EO is a classic on the level of IASW, Mansion, Pirates, and the Mountains, something I'd argue is simply not the case for pretty much anyone else who was there to see it during its second run.

CaptinEO

Original Poster
I'd agree with that, except that even ATIS and Mine Train had Walt ties. They, too, were iconic on the level that Captain EO simply is not-there are still people nostalgic for those rides, with good reason.

But I think if you were to have an honest conversation with most people who were regularly going to the park around the time EO closed that most of them would not have been shocked in the slightest that EO closed.

Clearly EO has special meaning for you, and that's great. But you seem to feel that EO is a classic on the level of IASW, Mansion, Pirates, and the Mountains, something I'd argue is simply not the case for pretty much anyone else who was there to see it during its second run.
I'm not saying EO is on the same level as these shows. I will say that people embrace the dated elements of shows/rides that were allowed to stick around in the first place.

The dated elements become fun and enter the zeitgeist.

Captain EO in the mid 90s? Just seemed dated. If it had stayed the whole time? Bonafide Disney classic, people would know all the lines.

PiratesMansion

I'm not saying EO is on the same level as these shows. I will say that people embrace the dated elements of shows/rides that were allowed to stick around in the first place.

The dated elements become fun and enter the zeitgeist.

Captain EO in the mid 90s? Just seemed dated. If it had stayed the whole time? Bonafide Disney classic, people would know all the lines.
Except that it's a 3D show, and every 3D show has become tired, played out, and removed over time. The only place where this isn't really the case is Florida, and even they pulled EO.

Were it a bonafide Disney classic I'd say the main reaction to the second run of the show wouldn't have been "what the heck is this?!?!?"

CaptinEO

Original Poster
Except that it's a 3D show, and every 3D show has become tired, played out, and removed over time. The only place where this isn't really the case is Florida, and even they pulled EO.

Were it a bonafide Disney classic I'd say the main reaction to the second run of the show wouldn't have been "what the heck is this?!?!?"
Michael Jackson's music plays on the radio every day. Disney has a timeless musician in an attraction, ready to be shown any time.

Rich T

Michael Jackson's music plays on the radio every day. Disney has a timeless musician in an attraction, ready to be shown any time.
The film has not aged very well, and has been viewable on Youtube for years. I can see it returning for a local-centric special event, but not as a regular attraction. I’m sure Disney will come up with something greedy and underwhelming to put in the space instead.

I’m thinking interactive movie trailers that require the purchase of $150 Spidersaberblasters to get the “premium” enchanted magical journey of wishful dreams.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom