Magic Express to pick up 4 hours early

Mark P.

LOL, no thanks.

We've started building in the cost of an Uber/Lyft each way as part of our trip budget, and that combined with TSA Pre✓ will save us at least two hours compared to this "perk" of staying on property.

correcaminos

Original Poster
MCO is being used as a "trial-run" for heightened TSA security. I'm hoping they don't make it a permanent thing across all airports...that would suck.
MCO is also horrible all around. I've never flown out of such an inefficient airport. Makes me very glad for pre check

Pixieish

MCO is also horrible all around. I've never flown out of such an inefficient airport. Makes me very glad for pre check

We've never had a single problem...we seem to always get whisked through security super-quick - I'd be amazed if we wait in line for more than 15 minutes and going through security itself never seems to take more than 5. Granted, it's been a year since we've been down, but I wonder if always taking the last flight out has something to do with that...

correcaminos

Original Poster
We've never had a single problem...we seem to always get whisked through security super-quick - I'd be amazed if we wait in line for more than 15 minutes and going through security itself never seems to take more than 5. Granted, it's been a year since we've been down, but I wonder if always taking the last flight out has something to do with that...
You're lucky. The only time I have had short waits was with pre-check. We have had a lot of issues there in general and we usually get later flights as well. IMO it's worse than LGA or JFK, O'Hare, or even LAX. I honestly cannot think of a worse airport in the US to fly out of. No complaints flying into it at least.

Pixieish

You're lucky. The only time I have had short waits was with pre-check. We have had a lot of issues there in general and we usually get later flights as well. IMO it's worse than LGA or JFK, O'Hare, or even LAX. I honestly cannot think of a worse airport in the US to fly out of. No complaints flying into it at least.
It's been the same with departing from Boston on the earliest flight out (usually 6:30am)...we usually end up waiting longer for security to actually open than we spend time actually going through.

correcaminos

Original Poster
It's been the same with departing from Boston on the earliest flight out (usually 6:30am)...we usually end up waiting longer for security to actually open than we spend time actually going through.
I have no issues at my home airport. Pre Check is almost a waste there because it's so easy. We normally try not for 1st flight (which can be 5am) but go for 8-10 am when possible. Those are easy peasy for us :)

disneygeek90

MCO is being used as a "trial-run" for heightened TSA security. I'm hoping they don't make it a permanent thing across all airports...that would suck.
Flew out of MCO a couple weeks ago. We had to take out all ipads, mini tablets etc. I believe in the past those had been fine.

While it's a bit of an annoyance, I would much rather them be safe than sorry. Especially in what many consider a "destination" airport. The whole process for my security which included backed up lines took about 20 minutes. Really reasonable.

Pixieish

Flew out of MCO a couple weeks ago. We had to take out all ipads, mini tablets etc. I believe in the past those had been fine.

While it's a bit of an annoyance, I would much rather them be safe than sorry. Especially in what many consider a "destination" airport. The whole process for my security which included backed up lines took about 20 minutes. Really reasonable.

The electronics I totally get - it's too easy to hide nefarious stuff in there. But individually wrapped halloween candy being swabbed piece by piece is a bit much.

correcaminos

Original Poster
The electronics I totally get - it's too easy to hide nefarious stuff in there. But individually wrapped halloween candy being swabbed piece by piece is a bit much.
I personally think both are a bit much, but definitely the food swabbing! This is exactly why I do pre-check though. Keep electronics and liquids in our bags. Shoes on - rather civilized. Then again after reports I've read about TSA I don't think what they do is really that effective anyway.

nickys

Premium Member

This has been standard practice in Europe now for well over a year, even for domestic flights. Much rather that than the proposed total ban on anything larger than a normal phone that we were facing for a while earlier this year. Luckily that came to nothing, due to the fact it was based on nothing more than hysteria.

But I don't know where or why this food screening has suddenly surfaced. It must be to do with some actual or perceived threat within the US, because that isn't standard practice over here.

daisyduckie

It may have something to do with the fact that MCO now advises you arrive 3 hours before your flight for domestic travel. From what I understand it is only for the holidays. Hopefully the 3 hour DME time frame will happen again in January.

MickeyMomV

So we flew back home on the 29th from MCO. We also had the 4 hour early Tragical Express. We arrived to our terminal/gate with 2 hours and 15 minutes to spare and that was after spending 20 minutes or so in line with TSA. On a positive note my DS had plenty of time to finish up his home work before the flight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom