Magic Bands @ The Swolphin?

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
i had seen something posted somewhere that it was rumoured the Swan and Dolphin would maybe using magic bands in line with all other in WDW resorts...
Anyone had any information on this or where I may of seen it!?

I only ask as we already intend to buy them in october for our 14 day trip purely to use as park tickets and FP as much easier than getting cards out for 4 adults and 2 kids but if they are to start issuing them it would be great for us if it incorporated the room card also...

Any help great :)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
i had seen something posted somewhere that it was rumoured the Swan and Dolphin would maybe using magic bands in line with all other in WDW resorts...
Anyone had any information on this or where I may of seen it!?

I only ask as we already intend to buy them in october for our 14 day trip purely to use as park tickets and FP as much easier than getting cards out for 4 adults and 2 kids but if they are to start issuing them it would be great for us if it incorporated the room card also...

Any help great :)

I've not seen such rumors.

The Swolphin is run by a third party (now Marriott) to run the resorts as if it were a Disney resort (originally to attract conventioneers with hotel chain points). But, they are indeed a third party and their system is not connected to the Disney system. That's why they don't do Magic Bands or charging back to your resort room from the parks. It can take a day or two just for Swolphin reservations to be acknowledged by the Disney system so that you can do your 60 day FP+.

So... it's highly unlikely this rumor is true.

HouCuseChickie

We recently stayed at the Swan and there was no information buzzing around during our stay on anything like this. I would still recommend Magic Bands for your tickets and FPs.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
I've not seen such rumors.

The Swolphin is run by a third party (now Marriott) to run the resorts as if it were a Disney resort (originally to attract conventioneers with hotel chain points). But, they are indeed a third party and their system is not connected to the Disney system. That's why they don't do Magic Bands or charging back to your resort room from the parks. It can take a day or two just for Swolphin reservations to be acknowledged by the Disney system so that you can do your 60 day FP+.

So... it's highly unlikely this rumor is true.

Realise it’s a third party, stayed a few times now.
Not sure where I saw it reported but wish I could find it now. Even though not ‘officially disney’ it would make sense to Incorporate Magic bands etc IMO.

Never had any trouble or delays in FP reservations or dining before, always works 60/180 days out from experience :)

correcaminos

Realise it’s a third party, stayed a few times now.
Not sure where I saw it reported but wish I could find it now. Even though not ‘officially disney’ it would make sense to Incorporate Magic bands etc IMO.

Never had any trouble or delays in FP reservations or dining before, always works 60/180 days out from experience :)
Not sure how it makes sense to incorporate it into their system. They have their own points system for booking, they have their own system for keys for the company, they have their own system of running things. They are in a land lease agreement and that's it.

You do get the perks of FP+ but that's also granted to other non Disney resorts on property.

I've heard no such rumors and I would be surprised if it ever did incorporate magic bands based on my stays there.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
Not sure how it makes sense to incorporate it into their system. They have their own points system for booking, they have their own system for keys for the company, they have their own system of running things. They are in a land lease agreement and that's it.

You do get the perks of FP+ but that's also granted to other non Disney resorts on property.

I've heard no such rumors and I would be surprised if it ever did incorporate magic bands based on my stays there.

It would make sense as it’s in the middle of Disney with the big draw for stays at the hotel including conferences being disney...
Disney would benefit from more spend potentially with charging to rooms etc.

Their booking and points systems wouldn’t need to changed just to add the use of magic bands...
anyhow, we will see if it’s made up or there is any truth in it someday...

correcaminos

It would make sense as it’s in the middle of Disney with the big draw for stays at the hotel including conferences being disney...
Disney would benefit from more spend potentially with charging to rooms etc.

Their booking and points systems wouldn’t need to changed just to add the use of magic bands...
anyhow, we will see if it’s made up or there is any truth in it someday...
Except it's not Disney so you are asking Marriott to add it to their own system. So that's why it doesn't make sense to me. It's not just a band but a whole Disney system you would have to integrate

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
Except it's not Disney so you are asking Marriott to add it to their own system. So that's why it doesn't make sense to me. It's not just a band but a whole Disney system you would have to integrate

They already link reservations to my Magic app and all FP’s so not sure why they couldn’t utilise bands to charge and access rooms as already some link in place. Anyhow, let’s wait and see if anything comes of it...

DisneyJoe

If the bands fail to access rooms, as can often happen in WDW resorts, they'd need to train and have staff on duty constantly to assist.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
If the bands fail to access rooms, as can often happen in WDW resorts, they'd need to train and have staff on duty constantly to assist.

Room cards can have issues also and they have people to assist on those as well as all other general issues so don’t see how it’s be so difficult to have those teams deal with a different system?

correcaminos

Thank you! And not to mention that is what would have to be changed for the Swan and Dolphin in the first place. This is the stuff that will have to be integrated. The band system is for Disney, not Marriott and that would require a lot of work.

I'm not sure this is as simple as you would like to to be @WDW_Jon IT work is not just a simple thing to make work right. Plus I don't get why you need it so much. Then again I don't care for magic bands and don't usually charge back to our room. The rest of "magic band" stuff in the parks can be done with a card or an old band anyway.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
Thank you! And not to mention that is what would have to be changed for the Swan and Dolphin in the first place. This is the stuff that will have to be integrated. The band system is for Disney, not Marriott and that would require a lot of work.

I'm not sure this is as simple as you would like to to be @WDW_Jon IT work is not just a simple thing to make work right. Plus I don't get why you need it so much. Then again I don't care for magic bands and don't usually charge back to our room. The rest of "magic band" stuff in the parks can be done with a card or an old band anyway.

I don’t recall naming the thread ‘why I need magic bands so much’
I’ve already said it’s easier for park tickets than carrying cards for kids and I’m happy to buy them when we go.

Also, This isn’t point scoring and need celebrations that someone agrees with your opinion either but guess that’s how it goes on here sometimes. Simple question that didn’t need a speculative at best answer on large hotel chains IT systems that I suspect none of us are actually qualified to comment on.
Thanks though o_O

correcaminos

I don’t recall naming the thread ‘why I need magic bands so much’
I’ve already said it’s easier for park tickets than carrying cards for kids and I’m happy to buy them when we go.

Also, This isn’t point scoring and need celebrations that someone agrees with your opinion either but guess that’s how it goes on here sometimes. Simple question that didn’t need a speculative at best answer on large hotel chains IT systems that I suspect none of us are actually qualified to comment on.
Thanks though o_O

Okay... sorry if I somehow offended you simply because I don't agree with you. Not sure what you are talking about with "point scoring" either. You are speculating it will be easy, I am saying contrary. Pretty much end of it. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I'm keeping score...

You can use a magic band for tickets so if that's your worry, it's already a thing you can do while staying at the Swan or Dolphin. And no one else so far has heard the rumor either that they will get them. So that part was answered too.

With that I'll just say have a good day.

WDW_Jon

Original Poster
Okay... sorry if I somehow offended you simply because I don't agree with you. Not sure what you are talking about with "point scoring" either. You are speculating it will be easy, I am saying contrary. Pretty much end of it. Just because I disagree doesn't mean I'm keeping score...

You can use a magic band for tickets so if that's your worry, it's already a thing you can do while staying at the Swan or Dolphin. And no one else so far has heard the rumor either that they will get them. So that part was answered too.

With that I'll just say have a good day.

Didn’t suggest it was easy, just don’t think it’s impossible either and could be integrated without affecting booking systems etc.

I realise they work for park tickets hence why we’ve already decided to try bands this time for convenience only.

We will see if anything comes of it but if not I’m still more than happy at the Dolphins with or without bands.
You have a good day too.

DisneyJoe

The biggest change that I see is the software and possible hardware changes in the over 2200+ room door locks - AND - if Marriott ever decides to bring their smartphone app to the Swolphin (they have an app that can open room doors in other of their hotels and its use is growing) they would need to make sure both systems could work at the Swolphin.

As someone with almost 30 years experience in IT, no, it is not impossible, just quite a challenge, given Disney's systems, however, I don't see the ROI for doing it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As someone with almost 30 years experience in IT, no, it is not impossible, just quite a challenge, given Disney's systems, however, I don't see the ROI for doing it.

Probably part of the reason the Swolphin isn't on MBs is the question of who's going to pay for it to happen: Disney or Tishman or Marriott?

Tishman/Marriott is contractually obligated to run the Swolphin as if it were a Disney resort with some parameters set by Disney. But that contract was way before anyone knew of 'the internet of things.' So, who's going to pay for that capital upgrade?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom