Magic bands on cruise line

llrain

Original Poster
Just returned from the dream and just when one would think the cruise line would be safe from bringing in magic bands they were evident on board. It has not yet replaced the kttw card, they are being used for the kids check in at the activities clubs for them, complete with the same mickey pedestal.
They had a few different ones to choose from as well. Im sure it will soon replace the kttw
all together at some point
Wish they would have left the ships alone cause this environment isn't really needed there

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Just returned from the dream and just when one would think the cruise line would be safe from bringing in magic bands they were evident on board. It has not yet replaced the kttw card, they are being used for the kids check in at the activities clubs for them, complete with the same mickey pedestal.
They had a few different ones to choose from as well. Im sure it will soon replace the kttw
all together at some point
Wish they would have left the ships alone cause this environment isn't really needed there
Have you used a Magicband?

I used one, then took a cruise on the Fantasy, and really wished, of either application, that I'd had it on the cruise far more than I appreciated the "ease" at WDW.

I've said (and I noted it in my trip report last year) that the bands are perfect for DCL, and once they shoved the Navigators to a phone app, I was fairly confident they were coming there next, and I am not upset about that in the least.

llrain

Original Poster
Have you used a Magicband?

I used one, then took a cruise on the Fantasy, and really wished, of either application, that I'd had it on the cruise far more than I appreciated the "ease" at WDW.

I've said (and I noted it in my trip report last year) that the bands are perfect for DCL, and once they shoved the Navigators to a phone app, I was fairly confident they were coming there next, and I am not upset about that in the least.

Unfortunately We have used them at the parks. I guess we are getting more and more used to them and they appear to be more reliable but I still cannot stand wearing the thing, that's my issue. I cant stand jewelry. I know its not, but it still has the same feeling

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Unfortunately We have used them at the parks. I guess we are getting more and more used to them and they appear to be more reliable but I still cannot stand wearing the thing, that's my issue. I cant stand jewelry. I know its not, but it still has the same feeling
I can respect that. I got used to mine fairly quickly, but the kiddo (9) couldn't keep hers on all day (the magicband).

That being said, the she complained far more about her kids club band (which quite literally can't be removed without cutting) on the Fantasy...especially come bath and bedtime.

There were plenty of times on board where I would have preferred not having to fish the card out of my pocket, and/or would have enjoyed using it (like pool time).

I think it's an excellent application for waterparks and at certain times during the cruise.

But, I agree, at other times, I'd rather have a KTTW.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
An example of where they don't really work for DCL would be "formal night"...

Nothing breaks the "I got all dressed up and fancy" than a giant bluetooth enabled "What Would Mickey Do?" rubber bracelet! <grin>

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Right.

DCL used them well before WDW. And they're just for kids. Great way to keep them safe, and belonging to you.
That was my "parental justification", but not all kids are required to be registered in it (iirc)...

It's only if you want to check them into the Kids Clubs.

That being said, I get the duality of issues with not liking that it wasn't easily removable, and having it easily removed.

I've had more "omg I lost the kiddo" heart attack moments at WDW than I ever did on the cruise.

llrain

Original Poster
They are NOT new. They are not also, removable without cutting the strip, in my experience..

We maybe thinking of different things then, cause these bands I saw were the same bands that we use at the parks, completely removable with the 2 buttonlike attachments. When we walked by the kids checkin they had to use the turnstile to get into the room, Are you saying this turnstile has been around since even before the bands were at the parks?
There was a variety of them available to choose from with a few different designs on them.
I do not recall seeing this on our last dream cruise this past april

englanddg

One Little Spark...
We maybe thinking of different things then, cause these bands I saw were the same bands that we use at the parks, completely removable with the 2 buttonlike attachments. When we walked by the kids checkin they had to use the turnstile to get into the room, Are you saying this turnstile has been around since even before the bands were at the parks?
There was a variety of them available to choose from with a few different designs on them.
I do not recall seeing this on our last dream cruise this past april
Yes, that "turnstyle" has been around a long time.

Also, there is a big difference between this:

2013-10-01.JPG

And this

wrist-band1-300x214.jpg

I don't see how you could confuse the two, unless they've changed something since last year?

llrain

Original Poster
Then they have definitely changed since you have seen them....as I have said twice now, they are full blown magic bands the kiddos are wearing, not that bulkly white thing, with a few designs they can choose from.
Im not confused at all.

Yes, that "turnstyle" has been around a long time.

Also, there is a big difference between this:

2013-10-01.JPG

And this

wrist-band1-300x214.jpg

I don't see how you could confuse the two, unless they've changed something since last year?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Then they have definitely changed since you have seen them....as I have said twice now, they are full blown magic bands the kiddos are wearing, not that bulkly white thing, with a few designs they can choose from.
Im not confused at all.
Can they be removed without scissors?

llrain

Original Poster
Yes, and they were yellow colored with a cruise line design on them. I tell ya, they were a full fledged magic band, I didn't take any photos cause A. Kids were wearing them only, and I didn't want to impede on privacy and the display case was at the entrance of the kids room so for privacy reasons I did not take any photos of them..
So apparently this is a new thing there and will prob spread to all cruisers soon.

Can they be removed without scissors?

Tom

Beta Return
Yes, and they were yellow colored with a cruise line design on them. I tell ya, they were a full fledged magic band, I didn't take any photos cause A. Kids were wearing them only, and I didn't want to impede on privacy and the display case was at the entrance of the kids room so for privacy reasons I did not take any photos of them..
So apparently this is a new thing there and will prob spread to all cruisers soon.

Sounds like a good use of the technology. Better design than the old ones, plus the benefit of short and long range chips.

Chezman1399

Checking out a Disney Cruise Blog article from last year, looks like they are held on by a dark grey clasp that prevents easy removal. The replacement price on the new bands is $12.95 instead of $50, and charged to the guest upon arrival to be returned if the band is returned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom