Magic Bands less Magical?

HoneyBee1991

Original Poster
If this has already been asked/talked about I apologize. I didn't see it and it's been a long time since I've been here.

I heard that Disney will no longer be offering free magic bands. They will do discounted ones for guests but otherwise you need to use your old ones or buy new ones if you don't want to have to use the cards.

Do you think this is something they are only doing because of covid? Do you think free bands will come back when things start picking up again and go back to almost normal? Or are the days of free magic bands behind us?

How long will the old magic Bands last? Is there a way to change the battery on them?

Do you like the bands or is this not a big deal to you?

I have so many questions and I know that no one will have all the answers but at least we can speculate.

CaptainAmerica

This is a cost-saving measure, but from a guest perspective it's not *too* bad. The solid color bands are only $5.

Old bands will work at touch points forever. The battery is only needed for the long-range features, which is pretty much limited to on-ride photos.

I do not expect that free bands will ever return.

I like the bands but always buy one with graphics on it, so the solid color bands were a waste for me.

NelleBelle

I highly doubt those bands are coming back. I agree that paying for the upgraded or even the plain bands with your reservation is quite negligible. There are so many other designs that I preferred than the plain ones they sent it frankly was a waste.

raymusiccity

This is a cost-saving measure, but from a guest perspective it's not *too* bad. The solid color bands are only $5.

Old bands will work at touch points forever. The battery is only needed for the long-range features, which is pretty much limited to on-ride photos.

I do not expect that free bands will ever return.

I like the bands but always buy one with graphics on it, so the solid color bands were a waste for me.
I think Disney should have done a better job educating the average guest that the solid color bands would last for quite awhile. You always had the option to decline another set of bands with each visit.

Buck Wheelie

I think the Magic Bands are very costly to Disney. I don't know if they figured on regular visitors getting new bands every trip. We never considered reusing our bands and threw them away after each trip. They might of been farther ahead by saying this magic band issued to you is good until a specific date.

No matter the magic band has been lumped in with many other cost savings initiatives like Magical Express, luggage delivery, resort airline check in and a few other things. I doubt you will ever see them again as a added bonus to your trip unless or until Disney sees that guest no longer find the magic in their visit and go elsewhere.

JIMINYCR

Nope, not coming back. Disney knows guests will buy the colorfully, decorated bands as they come out. For those who dont buy, those guests will utilize the tech available on their phones. Theres no sense in Disney spending money mailing out free bands. Weve kept all our plain bands that weve received in the past but choose to buy the better decorative ones.

cmwade77

It has nothing to do with COVID as to why they are no longer doing the free bands. The reality is the app can now do everything the bands could and that is a big part of why they are doing it. Add in the number of people who didn't decline their new bands but still used old ones and it makes some sense to reduce costs on this one.

jackpast

If this has already been asked/talked about I apologize. I didn't see it and it's been a long time since I've been here.

I heard that Disney will no longer be offering free magic bands. They will do discounted ones for guests but otherwise you need to use your old ones or buy new ones if you don't want to have to use the cards.

Do you think this is something they are only doing because of covid? Do you think free bands will come back when things start picking up again and go back to almost normal? Or are the days of free magic bands behind us?

How long will the old magic Bands last? Is there a way to change the battery on them?

Do you like the bands or is this not a big deal to you?

I have so many questions and I know that no one will have all the answers but at least we can speculate.
Never paid for Magic Band...never will. They have to provide some way to open your door and get into the parks. I think my phone will do both. Been going to WDW since ‘92. Sad to see all the nickel-diming they are doing the last decade or so.

marialexus

We also have been going to WDW since '92. After about 19 trips we haven't gone now for over 2 years. I am disappointed in the recent changes including no free magic bands, discontinuing Magical Express and luggage delivery, revised park hopper rules. We are going to schedule a trip in early 2022 for our 30th anniversary if the Covid thing is over and we can walk in the Magic Kingdom without masks, otherwise we will wait.

rreading

The amount of waste involved in producing/sending so many magic bands makes the decision to limit them so reasonable. Even when we’ve tried to decline new ones, we’ve received grey ones.

We’ve always had folks on this message board report that they would prefer using a card. I like the magic bands and will continue to use ones we’ve purchased.

I don’t know what I’ll prefer once the Apple Watch/iPhone becomes supported. Probably the magic band to not worry about battery life

Disstevefan1

I think they were initially free in order to introduce the fast pass plus system to everyone. As time goes on, it’s just another thing that was free that is taken away like parking at the resorts and Disney Magical Express.

Disney does this simply because they can. Folks keep coming..

It’s not a matter of if they will start charging for parking at Disney Springs, it’s a matter of when..

Same goes for Fastpasses. They are currently free. That will change, only time will tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom