Magic Bands a must?

Wendylet

Hi everyone. Back again for more sage advice from you Disney vets out there. Big extended family trip in the works for next year and it is a first time for all four grandchildren and some of the children as well. We were disappointed to see the magic bands are being phased out, although I know they are still available. Can anyone shed light on the discount provided, if you decide to still order them, at the resort check in? Would the discount just be minimal and only on the basic solid colour ones? How do you go about ordering them to be at your resort at check in? Being from Canada the shipping and $ exchange makes it pricey to order online. I see amazon.ca has a few but not much selection. We were hoping to use the bands as part of the excitement of the trip for the kids but they are quite young and we wondered if the slap type (hope you know what I mean here) would be better for them. Are they very hot to wear on your arm all day? I know they offer a key card as well as capability on your phone but we were really wanting that bracelet experience. Thoughts?

DisAl

Thank you for your input. Can you tell me if they are hot to wear and if they come very small? We have a very petite little girl and her mom is worried the band wont fit her well.
The band is made where you can use it adult size or separate out part of the band to make it child size. The attached photo shows it pretty well. The blue part can easily be separated from the grey part to make it smaller for a child.
(Sorry about the finger..... I had to hold it down to get it flat enough the make the photo.)
MagicBand.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
The band is made where you can use it adult size or separate out part of the band to make it child size. The attached photo shows it pretty well. The blue part can easily be separated from the grey part to make it smaller for a child.
(Sorry about the finger..... I had to hold it down to get it flat enough the make the photo.)
View attachment 543184
Thank you so much for taking the time to show me this. That‘s so kind of you. It’s very helpful to see and I do think it would work out.

Upvote 0

GrumpySue

7517057370148.jpg

I've always used these instead of the magic bands, which can get annoying. Clip it on your pocketbook, belt loop, backpack etc. and it is always easily available. I bought them on vacation one year and it was easy to pop out the middle of the Magic Band with the screwdriver that comes with the clip.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
View attachment 543356
I've always used these instead of the magic bands, which can get annoying. Clip it on your pocketbook, belt loop, backpack etc. and it is always easily available. I bought them on vacation one year and it was easy to pop out the middle of the Magic Band with the screwdriver that comes with the clip.
Also a great idea. One child is 7 and one will be turning 5. It’s possible they might find the bands themselves annoying and you could be in better control this way. Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

aliceismad

Thank you for your input. Can you tell me if they are hot to wear and if they come very small? We have a very petite little girl and her mom is worried the band wont fit her well.
My daughter is very thin. She thought wearing her magic band was the best on our last trip. She had just turned 5. She especially liked being the one who got scanned at photo areas. No problems with being hot or sweaty. You can also take them off and adjust them as needed.

Upvote 0

Jasperkitty

The magic bands are a must for us too. I know they're pushing to switch over to folks using the app and I flat out hate the idea of having to drain my phone battery when the bands never need charging and are a lot less fiddly to deal with. No pulling it in and out of a pocket or bag, no stress about needing to stow it before a ride, and they are pretty durable all around. I seem to recall being able to even front load them with a Disney gift card to give kids a spending allowance but I'm not sure if that's still an option anymore.

They are worth the money if only to save on the stress levels. And a fun way to build excitement before hand.

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

Love using the MB’s. The convenience is great, no having to get out my wallet or phone. I ordered them fora trip next Jan. I was bummed they stopped sending free ones but $5 each wasn’t too bad.
Personally I wouldn’t get the slap bands for kids, much too easy to get off and lose. I don’t find wearing them uncomfortable even in the heat.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
Love using the MB’s. The convenience is great, no having to get out my wallet or phone. I ordered them fora trip next Jan. I was bummed they stopped sending free ones but $5 each wasn’t too bad.
Personally I wouldn’t get the slap bands for kids, much too easy to get off and lose. I don’t find wearing them uncomfortable even in the heat.
I had not thought about how easy it would be to remove the slap bracelets. That’s a really good point. Thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Apparently, no longer a "must" anymore but certainly an option. Other options are Key to the World Cards and Magic Mobile. I personally prefer the MBs but switch them out for different themes / colors depending on which park I'm in.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

So if you order book a package and order MB's that you now have to pay for do they send them to you right away (even if you have not fully paid off the package) or do they send them to you after the package is paid off? Or are they still sent within 30 days of your arrival date?

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

So if you order book a package and order MB's that you now have to pay for do they send them to you right away (even if you have not fully paid off the package) or do they send them to you after the package is paid off? Or are they still sent within 30 days of your arrival date?
They send them right away--at least in my experience over the last five trips.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom