Magic Bands a must?

Wendylet

Hi everyone. Back again for more sage advice from you Disney vets out there. Big extended family trip in the works for next year and it is a first time for all four grandchildren and some of the children as well. We were disappointed to see the magic bands are being phased out, although I know they are still available. Can anyone shed light on the discount provided, if you decide to still order them, at the resort check in? Would the discount just be minimal and only on the basic solid colour ones? How do you go about ordering them to be at your resort at check in? Being from Canada the shipping and $ exchange makes it pricey to order online. I see amazon.ca has a few but not much selection. We were hoping to use the bands as part of the excitement of the trip for the kids but they are quite young and we wondered if the slap type (hope you know what I mean here) would be better for them. Are they very hot to wear on your arm all day? I know they offer a key card as well as capability on your phone but we were really wanting that bracelet experience. Thoughts?

DisAl

We will be ordering Magic Bands for our trip the end of May. Price in the U.S. for the "plain" bands on MDE is $5 if you have WDW resort reservations. I don't know if it is different if you are not staying at a WDW resort. You might want to consider ordering ahead of time and pick them up when you check in if staying on property.

We found Disney World to be a cell phone battery killer. Now with having to use it for a lot of other things including ordering your counter service meals it will probably be even worse. Getting back to your room at the end of the day (again, if on property) and finding you phone battery too far gone to open your room door would be miserable.

Upvote 0

MrsPrice96

In the Parks
No
The basic plain color ones you can buy online with your reservations are $5 or in person they are $15. The premium ones range from $15 and or normally $25 or $20 normally $30. You can order them online right before your trip and they will have them at your resort for check in or if you order them far enough in advance they will ship to you. We saw the slap bracelets In the park but have not used any. They seem like they would be more snug so during hot days might be a little more uncomfortable where as the regular magic bands you can alter the size. Hope that helps

Upvote 0

MrsPrice96

In the Parks
No
Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 12.43.51 PM.png

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
We will be ordering Magic Bands for our trip the end of May. Price in the U.S. for the "plain" bands on MDE is $5 if you have WDW resort reservations. I don't know if it is different if you are not staying at a WDW resort. You might want to consider ordering ahead of time and pick them up when you check in if staying on property.

We found Disney World to be a cell phone battery killer. Now with having to use it for a lot of other things including ordering your counter service meals it will probably be even worse. Getting back to your room at the end of the day (again, if on property) and finding you phone battery too far gone to open your room door would be miserable.
Sounds like you have used the magic bands before. Are they comfortable to wear all day in the heat? Can the bands get wet and does it afffect the functionality?

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Sounds like you have used the magic bands before. Are they comfortable to wear all day in the heat? Can the bands get wet and does it afffect the functionality?
Yes they can get wet, no affect on the functionality at all.
Can you order them through the MDE app after your reservations are in place? You can arrange to have them shipped directly to the resort then?
If you order them through MDE they will automatically be waiting for you since you don’t have a US address. You need your reservation linked and everyone listed on the reservation before ordering. And you must order for everyone at once. The default for printing on the inside of the strap is the name on the reservation, but they can be personalised with nicknames etc .

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
Yes they can get wet, no affect on the functionality at all.

If you order them through MDE they will automatically be waiting for you since you don’t have a US address. You need your reservation linked and everyone listed on the reservation before ordering. And you must order for everyone at once. The default for printing on the inside of the strap is the name on the reservation, but they can be personalised with nicknames etc .
So if we were to wear them swimming or at a water park that would be okay or would you advise against that type of water immersion?

So I would have to order for everyone with a park pass then? So if some wanted to order on their own, say from Amazon, that would not be good?

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
So if we were to wear them swimming or at a water park that would be okay or would you advise against that type of water immersion?

So I would have to order for everyone with a park pass then? So if some wanted to order on their own, say from Amazon, that would not be good?
Wearing them swimming is absolutely fine. I have worn them in a water park and in the pool. They are waterproof.

Sorry, I didn’t make that very clear. You don’t have to order them for everyone on the reservation. But if you are ordering it must be done in one go. You can only place one order. You can’t order for 3 out of 8 and then later on order for another 3 people. You get one chance at ordering through MDE.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
Wearing them swimming is absolutely fine. I have worn them in a water park and in the pool. They are waterproof.

Sorry, I didn’t make that very clear. You don’t have to order them for everyone on the reservation. But if you are ordering it must be done in one go. You can only place one order. You can’t order for 3 out of 8 and then later on order for another 3 people. You get one chance at ordering through MDE.
Oh great that makes sense. Thank you so much for your helpful and informative response. Much appreciated!

Upvote 0

Rob562

Wearing them while swimming is one of the best benefits of them. You can go to the pool at your hotel and not worry about your room key. Or if you get hungry/thirsty at the water park you can just go get it without having to go back and get your wallet.

-Rob

Upvote 0

MrsPrice96

In the Parks
No
Wearing them while swimming is one of the best benefits of them. You can go to the pool at your hotel and not worry about your room key. Or if you get hungry/thirsty at the water park you can just go get it without having to go back and get your wallet.

-Rob
Yes- It is so easy to use and wonderful when using the pools or waterpark. My husband even showers with it still on to clean it and we have never had issues.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
FYI Disney will not ship MB to Canada. Because they have transmitters they would require CRTC approval, to clear them for multiple countries would be expensive.

Also, I recommend against buying from online sellers, they can’t be added to your MDE account if they’ve been attached to someone else’s.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster

-Rob
That sounds so convenient. I hadn’t thought of that at all.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
FYI Disney will not ship MB to Canada. Because they have transmitters they would require CRTC approval, to clear them for multiple countries would be expensive.

Also, I recommend against buying from online sellers, they can’t be added to your MDE account if they’ve been attached to someone else’s.
Oh I had no idea about that. Sounds like we should just order them to the resort then. Would that cost be charged to our account then or do you pay for them in advance?

Upvote 0

owenzern

IMO Magic Bands are a must, especially with a large party and lots of kids. They are your one resource to get in your room, buy your keepsakes, get in the parks, buy your meals and snacks, and when/if it comes back, get into the fastpass line.
We have four tech savvy adults with both Apple and Android phones, and have never had good luck with the phone apps opening the doors. Very hit and miss whether they work or not.
Strongly agree with other posters, that you should pre order and have them at the hotel when you arrive.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
IMO Magic Bands are a must, especially with a large party and lots of kids. They are your one resource to get in your room, buy your keepsakes, get in the parks, buy your meals and snacks, and when/if it comes back, get into the fastpass line.
We have four tech savvy adults with both Apple and Android phones, and have never had good luck with the phone apps opening the doors. Very hit and miss whether they work or not.
Strongly agree with other posters, that you should pre order and have them at the hotel when you arrive.
Thank you for your input. Can you tell me if they are hot to wear and if they come very small? We have a very petite little girl and her mom is worried the band wont fit her well.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Thank you for your input. Can you tell me if they are hot to wear and if they come very small? We have a very petite little girl and her mom is worried the band wont fit her well.
The bands can be adjusted. But if the girl doesn’t want to wear it Mom can always wear it for her. They don’t get hot to touch, I guess your skin might get sweaty or itchy from wearing it but we’ve not had problems.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom