Magic Band vs Apple watch

cslafferty

Original Poster
Curious to hear from those who have tried using your Apple Watch in place of a Magic Band. Does it work as well as Disney says it should? Trying to minimize my he amount of “bands” I need to wear!

donsullivan

Premium Member
As a day guest (local Passholder) I’ve been using it since it launched and never once had any issues at all for admission to the parks. The only thing that’s still a little quirky/inconsistent is parking for a Passholder. I can’t tell if it’s a training issue or what but the handheld readers they use to check MagicBands do not all seem to have the ability to read the RFID chip on the watch so you have to show the QR code on the watch and they scan that and then it works just fine.

I also use it for ApplePay payments which could not be more convenient. That has been available for years now. Even if that convenience can be deadly for the credit card balance when visiting F&W.

I haven’t stayed in a WDW resort since it launched so I don’t have a perspective on room access.

JaxFLBear

I would like to use my Apple Watch, but it's TOO old. I have what's basically a Series 0 (original version) and Disney MagicMobile requires a Series 3 or newer. Like the PP, I do use Apple Pay without issue.

Room access is not yet available using the Apple Watch. You can use an iPhone, but you have to launch the MDE mobile app each time you want to unlock the room door. Coming later this year with iOS 15, Apple is adding support for Hotel Keys which will make unlocking your room door much easier. Disney was announced as a supporting partner for Hotel Keys.

i<3riviera

I would like to use my Apple Watch, but it's TOO old. I have what's basically a Series 0 (original version) and Disney MagicMobile requires a Series 3 or newer. Like the PP, I do use Apple Pay without issue.

Room access is not yet available using the Apple Watch. You can use an iPhone, but you have to launch the MDE mobile app each time you want to unlock the room door. Coming later this year with iOS 15, Apple is adding support for Hotel Keys which will make unlocking your room door much easier. Disney was announced as a supporting partner for Hotel Keys.
thanks for the info, this might finally tip me over to buying an Apple Watch

durangojim

You can also use it for photo pass photographers which works well. It does not work well for on ride photos as it frequently links other guests to my account

donsullivan

Premium Member
You can also use it for photo pass photographers which works well. It does not work well for on ride photos as it frequently links other guests to my account
I forgot about PhotoPass since I don't normally pay much attention to that but you are right, I do get all the on-ride photos I would expect to get.

Indy_UK

I’m asking for an Apple Watch for Christmas, If they can get hotel door unlocking added before my trip next August then I’ll drop the magicband

Jon81uk

Wait....we can use our Apple watch to gain access to the parks?!

Yep its been around for a few months. Add your ticket pass to Apple Wallet and then can use Watch or iPhone to enter the park as if it were any other ticket media.

JaxFLBear

Wait....we can use our Apple watch to gain access to the parks?!
Yes, as long as it's a Series 3 or newer running the most current version of WatchOS.

You set it up using the MDE mobile app on your iPhone. Select the sandwich (3 bars) icon at the bottom right of the screen then "Disney MagicMobile". Once you've created the pass on your iPhone, it should automatically load on your Apple Watch.

vikescaper

I think this works really well! Ever since I got an Apple Watch, I did not like wearing a Magic Band so I was beyond happy when they rolled this out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom