• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Magic Band life span

m steve

Original Poster
Hello!

How long will the features/capabilities of a Magic Band work? When we next visit WDW, our Bands will be two years old and I am not sure if they will be fully functional after that much time. I am not sure if we will need to have new ones.

Thanks for your help!

JaxFLBear

Most functions will work as long as Disney supports the technology. The functions that should work indefinitely are: Touch to Enter (theme park, hotel room, FP+ return queue), Touch to Pay (room charging), manual photo linking.

Automatic linking of ride photos/videos will stop functioning once the internal (and non-replaceable) battery has died.

m steve

Original Poster
Most functions will work as long as Disney supports the technology. The functions that should work indefinitely are: Touch to Enter (theme park, hotel room, FP+ return queue), Touch to Pay (room charging), manual photo linking.

Automatic linking of ride photos/videos will stop functioning once the internal (and non-replaceable) battery has died.
Thanks for the response. Any idea how long that battery lasts?

Rob562

Certain other "magical" personalized interactions in some rides and queues also will stop working once the internal battery dies, since the Bands need to be read from a distance.

Thanks for the response. Any idea how long that battery lasts?

They say at least two years. Unfortunately there's no real way to know whether the battery is still alive.
I suppose you could ride an attraction with on-ride photo your first day and a few minutes after you get off see if the photo shows up in your account.

-Rob

Weather_Lady

We've used ours as long as 4 years later with no issues.

However, I find that at some point between 3 and 6 years out, the rubber starts to fade and takes on a "dusty" appearance that can't be buffed out, so we've thrown most of the older ones away. I'm not sure why: maybe because ours were exposed to chlorine or something?

pixiemagicwdw

We've used ours as long as 4 years later with no issues.

However, I find that at some point between 3 and 6 years out, the rubber starts to fade and takes on a "dusty" appearance that can't be buffed out, so we've thrown most of the older ones away. I'm not sure why: maybe because ours were exposed to chlorine or something?
I've had the same thing happen, that "dusty" appearance, but those bands were never exposed to chlorine. I think it's just age.

Buck Wheelie

There’s people who throw them out? i just wiped them with baby wipes and they Went back to normal again!!!
We've threw ours away after every trip. Since they always sent new ones we didn't feel a need to keep the old. I think a lot of people were like that and probably why Disney has done away with free ones. It cost them a lot to send new bands all the time.

JohnD

There’s people who throw them out? i just wiped them with baby wipes and they Went back to normal again!!!

Yeah. I've held onto mine. I have free solid-color ones and also some that I bought including Generation 1.0.

Djsfantasi

I have a half dozen MBs, from 1 to 3 years old. I’m returning to WDW in April and decided to buy two new, basic MBs. I was afraid of picking the 3 year old ones and they wouldn’t work in all cases. Since I’ve missed a few trips, due to the pandemic, I didn’t want to risk having a problem. I bought one on sale and another at full price ($16). I always bring my old ones in case I lose a MB.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom