Magic Band Confusion with My Disney Experience

navallint

Original Poster
We are traveling to WDW the first week of December. My wife, myself and my mom. DW and I have annual passes. Have not purchased mom's ticket yet. All three of us are listed in the "My family & friends" list. All our resort and dinner reservations are showing (I linked them a while ago).
When I go to the MagicBands & Cards page, all I see is DW and I, mom is missing from this page. The page only shows a Key to the World card and when I click on it, the only options I see is to deactive the card. I also tried the button "link a MagicBand or Card" but it says I am already linked.
From what I can see, we don't have the option of customizing a MagicBand. So, does this mean we won't have the option when we get to WDW in December?

ratherbeinwdw

We are traveling to WDW the first week of December. My wife, myself and my mom. DW and I have annual passes. Have not purchased mom's ticket yet. All three of us are listed in the "My family & friends" list. All our resort and dinner reservations are showing (I linked them a while ago).
When I go to the MagicBands & Cards page, all I see is DW and I, mom is missing from this page. The page only shows a Key to the World card and when I click on it, the only options I see is to deactive the card. I also tried the button "link a MagicBand or Card" but it says I am already linked.
From what I can see, we don't have the option of customizing a MagicBand. So, does this mean we won't have the option when we get to WDW in December?
She won't be eligible until you buy her ticket. I had to go ahead and order tickets for the friends who are going with us in November to add them to our fastpass+. I was able to order their magicbands when I ordered ours as long as they were on the room reservation.

ratherbeinwdw

There is a certain amount of time out before you can customize the bands. We couldn't customize until the last week of Sept for a November 14th ressie.

navallint

Original Poster
I was able to order their magicbands when I ordered ours as long as they were on the room reservation.
. Right now, I'm not concerned with the fastpass option, but mom is listed on the resort reservation but her name doesn't show up on the magicband page. Would this be because she doesn't have a ticket yet?

ninjaprincesst

. Right now, I'm not concerned with the fastpass option, but mom is listed on the resort reservation but her name doesn't show up on the magicband page. Would this be because she doesn't have a ticket yet?
Yes you have to have a ticket to show up on the magic band page. I asked a friend who is an employee, if you wait until you get there to buy her tickets she will not get a magic band she will get the kttw card

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
I must be an exception because I could see our Magic Bands and customize them even though I had not linked tickets to the ressie. (Staying at Pop in October)

stevehousse

I must be an exception because I could see our Magic Bands and customize them even though I had not linked tickets to the ressie. (Staying at Pop in October)

Did u buy a package or room only? If it's a package, your tickets are automatically linked with your reservation so you won't have to physically link the tickets so to speak...

Ariel484

I could do this too. Husband and I have APs and as far as I know I didn't link them to our bands...I TRIED to, but I don't think it actually worked. I was able to make FP+ selections for both of us and on the customization page for the bands it says that the bands will be used for Magical Express and as room keys. o_O Ooooookay. Really not sure why I was able to make FP+ selections but whatever.

Rob562

I could do this too. Husband and I have APs and as far as I know I didn't link them to our bands...I TRIED to, but I don't think it actually worked. I was able to make FP+ selections for both of us and on the customization page for the bands it says that the bands will be used for Magical Express and as room keys. o_O Ooooookay. Really not sure why I was able to make FP+ selections but whatever.

I put this response in another thread, but thought I'd put it here, too.

It's best not to think of linking anything to a Band or Card. It's really the reverse. Everything is linked to a *profile* on MDE. A Band or RFID Card is just a pointer to an individual's profile. So Bands, Cards, AP's, park tickets, FP+ are all items linked to a profile. They each reference each other through the profile.

So when you wave your MagicBand at the park entrance, the system looks up the profile that the Band is linked to, and then looks for admission on that profile. If you wave the Band at the FP+ post outside Tower of Terror, it looks up the associated profile and checks to see if there is a valid FP+ for that time.

-Rob

Ariel484

I put this response in another thread, but thought I'd put it here, too.

It's best not to think of linking anything to a Band or Card. It's really the reverse. Everything is linked to a *profile* on MDE. A Band or RFID Card is just a pointer to an individual's profile. So Bands, Cards, AP's, park tickets, FP+ are all items linked to a profile. They each reference each other through the profile.

So when you wave your MagicBand at the park entrance, the system looks up the profile that the Band is linked to, and then looks for admission on that profile. If you wave the Band at the FP+ post outside Tower of Terror, it looks up the associated profile and checks to see if there is a valid FP+ for that time.

-Rob
I saw that one :D We'll see what happens at check-in! Thanks!

CaptainShortty

Yes you have to have a ticket to show up on the magic band page. I asked a friend who is an employee, if you wait until you get there to buy her tickets she will not get a magic band she will get the kttw card

As long as she is listed on the resort reservation she will get a magicband. Not sure who told you otherwise. If you buy the ticket when you get to WDW she will at first get a ticket which will then be able to be linked to the magicband either by you or the resort concierge or guest relations.

To the OP, were you able to customize the magicbands for the rest of the people in your party and just not for your mom? If that's the case, go ahead and give the MM+ Guest Services a call because as long as she is on the reservation you should be given the option. She will not appear on your family and friends list until she is linked with something that is linked with your MDX account (ie, dining or resort reservation, ticket, etc.). They will not show up in MagicBands and Cards until they have one. If they have previously stayed with you on a linked reservation than that room key card will show up (as a green card). If you have previously linked a ticket for them, it will show up as well. Even if she shows in your family and friends, she won't show up in MagicBands and Cards until she has one.

Hope that helps!

ninjaprincesst

As long as she is listed on the resort reservation she will get a magicband. Not sure who told you otherwise. If you buy the ticket when you get to WDW she will at first get a ticket which will then be able to be linked to the magicband either by you or the resort concierge or guest relations.

To the OP, were you able to customize the magicbands for the rest of the people in your party and just not for your mom? If that's the case, go ahead and give the MM+ Guest Services a call because as long as she is on the reservation you should be given the option. She will not appear on your family and friends list until she is linked with something that is linked with your MDX account (ie, dining or resort reservation, ticket, etc.). They will not show up in MagicBands and Cards until they have one. If they have previously stayed with you on a linked reservation than that room key card will show up (as a green card). If you have previously linked a ticket for them, it will show up as well. Even if she shows in your family and friends, she won't show up in MagicBands and Cards until she has one.

Hope that helps!

I was told by a friend who works at disney travel that you have to have park tickets to get a magic band and that for the time being (she says until after the first of the year) if you don't have tickets prior to arrival you will be issued a card not a band.

CaptainShortty

I was told by a friend who works at disney travel that you have to have park tickets to get a magic band and that for the time being (she says until after the first of the year) if you don't have tickets prior to arrival you will be issued a card not a band.

Nope, she's mistaken. You just must have a resort reservation at a MM+ "live" resort to receive a magicband. You must have a park ticket to be able to park take in FP+.

PolynesianPrincess

In order to select your FP+ options though, you will have to link tickets. We had this situation last month when we customized our bands and once we linked tickets, we were able to select FP+ options.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom