Maelstrom Down?

Alex

Original Poster
Hello,

I saw a post about Maelstrom being down for refurbishment and was wondering if anyone had any info on when it would be up and sailing again? Going to WDW this Friday!!

Thanks,

Alex

mwitkus

i also heard mid october... we will be missing it too since we go in 2 weeks... definitely a bummer for me... we rode it for the first time 2 years ago and i was looking forward to it again this trip...

oh well.. i suppose there will always be the next trip!

have fun!

ifiowneddisney

I love this ride in terms of concept and execution. There should be more like this in Epcot. But that last scene in the ride where your stranded in the middle of the ocean by an oil rig is (I've said it before and I'll say it again) my worst nightmare. I just was thinking there has to be something more uplifting for Norway to boast about in it's efforts to atract tourism!!:veryconfu

Sorry to hear you'll miss it. It's always frustraing when a cool attraction is down at the time of your visit. have fun anyways!

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Originally posted by ifiowneddisney
I just was thinking there has to be something more uplifting for Norway to boast about in it's efforts to atract tourism!!:veryconfu

I have always thought the SAME thing! Isn't there something better?? :hammer:

RobFL

Account Suspended
What are you talking about? Didn't you learn that oil rigs are grand and wonderful from the Universe of Energy? Hehe :)

Anywho, the Maelstrom is schedualed to reopen the 19th of October.

-Rob

MKingdom25

Sorry to hear you'll miss it. It's always frustraing when a cool attraction is down at the time of your visit. have fun anyways!

I agree. Its stinky when any ride at Disney World is down. Thats one reason I like to go in the summer! Less likely for things to be closed. :D

P.S. Well there is the heat and crowds, but hey I'll live! :lol:

wdwjmp239

I love this ride in terms of concept and execution. There should be more like this in Epcot. But that last scene in the ride where your stranded in the middle of the ocean by an oil rig is (I've said it before and I'll say it again) my worst nightmare. I just was thinking there has to be something more uplifting for Norway to boast about in it's efforts to atract tourism!!:veryconfu

That last scene in the Maelstrom is kind of eerie just to have this oil rig standing right there. Sure, they drill for oil off Norway, but why the heck would you want to go Norway to see an oil rig? I guess there are some people who are interested in that.

:veryconfu

Bairstow

Well I like the last scene. It's just so surreal and appropriate, and fits perfectly with the theme of the ride, which is that even with modern technology and comfort Norway remains a nation of challenge, danger, and adventure. Remember the oil derrick workers seen in the queue mural? The rig is their part of the epic part of Norway. It's really such a delightfully un-Disney way to end an attraction, which is admirable considering that it means that the ride comes off as an artistic statement of the host country, and not shameless tourist propaganda.

Besides, it's not really the end of the ride anyway, the infuriatingly quaint village you land in is.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that there isn't ONE SINGLE NOT-BEAUTIFUL person in the Norway film at the end of the ride?

wdwjmp239

Originally posted by Bairstow

BTW, has anyone else noticed that there isn't ONE SINGLE NOT-BEAUTIFUL person in the Norway film at the end of the ride? [/B]

Norweigan Women... GOOD!!!!
Rehabbing Maelstrom.... BAD!!!!

Talsonic

Account Suspended
Norwegian Sardines!

My only complaint about the Norway pavilion is that they stopped selling "King Oscar" brisling sardines in the gift shop. If you are a sardine eater then you must buy these. They are the best. :slurp:

jrashadb

Does anybody have any idea what the refurb is going to entail? Are they making the ride more interesting? Are they making it more thrilling? Are they making the backwards drop out of the front of the building cool again? What's the deal?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom