Made it into the college program! Need help deciding on what to do...

wdwcrazy

Original Poster
I found out that I made it into the program today! But I'm trying to decide on what to do. At my college, we have a co-op program (3 six month interships) and I don't think I should waste one of them doing operations at wdw. If I get a job around here, I'll be making a little more than double what the college program will be paying. I would like to do somthing information systems related (my major) at wdw. If I get a job around here, I'll be making a little more than double what the college program will be paying.

I want to do it so bad, but I don't think it would be the best idea for me. Any suggestions?

katilsu

I'm not sure this will help you at all, but here goes. The WDWCP experience is unlike any other experience you will ever have. The opportunity to meet so many different people that are from all over the world is a fantastic one. For me, the chance to do the job I had, Merchantainment, was also fabulous because I loved greeting and helping all the guests. WDW is one of my absolute favorite places, and the chance to be a part of it was magical.

That said, you have to make a decision on what is more important right now. I did my CP after my sophomore year of college- therefore I knew I still had another summer to do the necessary internship before I graduated. I'm glad I decided to do it, especially now that I have graduated and will never have the luxury of being able to take off and do something fun- albeit perhaps financially irreponsible- again. My friends made fun of the little money I made, but for me, it truly was all about the "experience."

So ask yourself, where am I now in college? Am I at a place that I have the option to take this low-paying but life-changing job? How much will I regret it if I pass it up, or how much will I regret not paying more attention to school and the co-op?

Good luck! I know its a big decision. (But remember, even if you don't take the job, you can ALWAYS go visit- or retire and move to Florida and work then!)

TURKEY

Ultimately, it is up to you.

You won't be doing anything related to you're major. However, it will open doors to advanced internships (there are 3 or 4 IT/IS related ones now).

If you have to do 3 internships, how much will it hurt if one is something that should be fun, working at a place you love?

Is money that important to you? If it is, I wouldn't do it. You won't make money, you might come home owing money.

AriBelle23

I had a similar kind of situation...I think it all comes down to what is the most important to you. If this has been a dream of yours to work for Disney, then I think this is an amazing opportunity and the perfect time to do it. People say do it later, but honestly, will you have time later? You could always retire there like one other post said...but if it has been a dream, could you really wait that long? That was my issue. I just could not wait any longer to go. Money is the issue it comes down to for many college students making this decision...if money is that big of a deal to you, then I suggest you don't do the CP. You really have to love what you do, if you stay home and work, will you regret not taking the chance to be part of making the magic?? That is what I had to ask myself every day!! But like everyone else said, it is really not about the money, it is about the experience and life long friendships. For me, that was worth it right there. Good Luck in whatever you decide!! And if you decide not to go, like some other people have said, you can always be a guest!! :)

cm1988

Can you afford it?

Originally posted by wdwcrazy
I found out that I made it into the program today!
Congrats!
...3 six month interships... [dare I] waste one of them doing operations at wdw[?]...
I don't think 'wasting your time' has much to do with which role you perform. You're learning life skills, interpersonal skills, job skills and can make the most out of every day regardless. OK, maybe your later interships should be more technically-oriented!
I...[otherwise could]....be making a little more than double what the college program will be paying....
As years pass, the wealth we acquire is not money, but memories. I hope you never find yourself looking back, regretting, "I could have made more money", because at that point you would indeed be bankrupt... of memories, and maybe something even more important (but you get to figure that one out as you go along).
One one hand, tuition costs are rising fast and maybe every dollar you make now is critical to staying in school! If so, please disregard everything else I've written in this post. You sadly must pass up the WDWCP for your greater objective of completing college. On the other hand, if you can afford it, chances are the difference between that 3 month job near home and what you bring home from WDW will be spent on Starbucks and DVD's before your 25th birthday.
I....would like to do somthing information systems related (my major) at wdw....
As others have said, there's about zero chance you'll do that in the WDWCP. There's also about 100% chance you'll have opportunity to see inside a Fortune 500/Dow Jones Industrial company. 100% chance, you'll like just some portion of what that means. Also a good chance that - as a WDWCP cast member - if you're patient, tactful, outgoing and ask around, you can line up some job shadow opportunities. Okay, all that means is a half day here, a half day there, but it could really help steer you in the right direction.
Anyway, best of luck and much happiness regardless of the path you take. Enjoy!

Marijil

Originally posted by wdwcrazy
I found out that I made it into the program today! But I'm trying to decide on what to do. At my college, we have a co-op program (3 six month interships) and I don't think I should waste one of them doing operations at wdw. If I get a job around here, I'll be making a little more than double what the college program will be paying. I would like to do somthing information systems related (my major) at wdw. If I get a job around here, I'll be making a little more than double what the college program will be paying.

I want to do it so bad, but I don't think it would be the best idea for me. Any suggestions?

Please listen to me, email me, im me if you have to. I am a 37 year old attorney in NJ...I have been a Disney enthusiast for over 20 years...I too was accepted into the cp in 85-86 as an attractions host. I didn t go for the same reasons you are contemplating....i regret it every day..if you truly love WDW, dont worry about the $, its a chance to get your foot in the door at a young age....I make a good living but I always wanted to be involved in WDW and still do...I cant tell u what the cp is like...but the regret of not doing it troubles me to this day. Once your in, maybe you can get me an interview in legal, lol...seriously dont let $ or credits sway u.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
This really is a pickle you are in!!

I am sorry that I can't give you any real advice because I, myself have never done the CP even though it offers classes in my major. I wish I could and I am insanely jealous of you for having this plethora of opportunities in front of you.

Good Luck with it all. We'd all love to hear what you chose in the end, so keep us all posted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom