Mad Tea Party to be involved?

hpyhnt 1000

What was their reasoning for just doing a temporary roof. Or did they even give one? If it was a temporary roof then I could seriously see them moving this ride. Won't it kind of be out of place anyway after New Fantasyland is done?

Well, by all accounts the old roof was just that...old. It was in pretty bad shape with a lot of rot, something that was clear when you look at pics of the demolition. Now, I thought someone had said on this site that the current roof was temporary, but I could be mistaken (where's Lee when you need him?). But even without that confirmation, there's no denying that the current roof isn't Disney's best work. Not only are the arch lights missing, but the color scheme is kinda tacky and the whole thing has the appearance of something that was slapped together as quickly as possible.

Adding fuel to this temporary/permanent roof debate was the original concept art of the FLE that showed the Teacups with a roof very similar to the one at DLP. And given that the Teacups will be located in the "new" FL, it was/is assumed that it would be given a more elegant roof, just like Pooh had its queue updated to better match its new surroundings.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Everything is fine with me, except as ya'll say the breaking system. Also would love to see a new, more funny, and possibly interactive mouse. :)

-WondersOfLife

The last original pavilion. :king:

TP2000

Does anyone know if they've ever done a major mechanical rehab on the DL version? I am curious if this is a new addition to the DL version or if it has always been quiet like that.

Disneyland's Mad Tea Party has been closing for two weeks about every 18 months for rehab; mostly painting and freshening, with some obvious work on the ride mechanicals under the turntable. But nothing bigger than that, or out of the ordinary.

I've had an Annual Pass for Disneyland since the late 1990's, and I don't ever remember the Disneyland Teacups making that sort of clunking clutch noise like at WDW.

None of the YouTube videos I've watched today of Disneyland have any sort of braking noise. The famous WDW clunk turns up on every YouTube video I've found that captures the last 10 seconds of the ride.

Well, by all accounts the old roof was just that...old. It was in pretty bad shape with a lot of rot, something that was clear when you look at pics of the demolition. Now, I thought someone had said on this site that the current roof was temporary, but I could be mistaken (where's Lee when you need him?). But even without that confirmation, there's no denying that the current roof isn't Disney's best work. Not only are the arch lights missing, but the color scheme is kinda tacky and the whole thing has the appearance of something that was slapped together as quickly as possible.

Adding fuel to this temporary/permanent roof debate was the original concept art of the FLE that showed the Teacups with a roof very similar to the one at DLP. And given that the Teacups will be located in the "new" FL, it was/is assumed that it would be given a more elegant roof, just like Pooh had its queue updated to better match its new surroundings.

Check out Scar's closeup here of the new roof. It does look a lot like the DLP version. http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=3740152&postcount=115

It is picture #7 down. I really hope they do this!!

None of the YouTube videos I've watched today of Disneyland have any sort of braking noise. The famous WDW clunk turns up on every YouTube video I've found that captures the last 10 seconds of the ride.

Watch them again. It is a hissing noise, probably from air-brakes. Not that it is bad. Not by a long shot. Barely noticeable. But it is there. Thank goodness it is nothing like the loud noise from the WDW version. :)

TP2000

Watch them again. It is a hissing noise, probably from air-brakes. Not that it is bad. Not by a long shot. Barely noticeable. But it is there. Thank goodness it is nothing like the loud noise from the WDW version. :)

Ooh! I think I know what you are referring to. This video, taken yesterday at Disneyland from the POV of an actual teacup, has that shhsssssss... noise in the background as the ride turntable slows to a stop around the 1:25 mark of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHuLnhfTyBs

Yeah, I think I prefer that noise over the louder and slightly alarming Ker-Clunk noise the WDW version makes.

mpaul32001

Asked a Fantasyland Imagineer at the Carousel of Projects at the D23 Expo if the Mad Tea Party roof was still happening and he said, "Good Question, but unfortunately not."

InsiderImagine

LMAO i love this conversation about the sound the ride makes!

You guys have no idea how many times I have been on it and a family throws their hands in the air and says, "that ruined my vacation." I don't understand how Disney allows this sound to continuously ruin people's vacations. Ugh!

mharrington

Original Poster
I've never any clunking on the ride before in my life. But that's way off-topic. Shouldn't we be getting back on?

_Scar

LMAO i love this conversation about the sound the ride makes!

You guys have no idea how many times I have been on it and a family throws their hands in the air and says, "that ruined my vacation." I don't understand how Disney allows this sound to continuously ruin people's vacations. Ugh!

I don't know if this is sarcasm?

Anywho, the sound is very noticeable and very annoying. It makes it sound like a cheap local carnival ride to me. It's been like that for years and it hasn't been fixed- that isn't new with TDO. Embarrassing.

Scuttle

I don't know if this is sarcasm?

Anywho, the sound is very noticeable and very annoying. It makes it sound like a cheap local carnival ride to me. It's been like that for years and it hasn't been fixed- that isn't new with TDO. Embarrassing.

Hardly embarrassing. Come on with all the WDI blunders out there this doesn't even scratch the surface. I'm a WDW homer, but I actually like the sound and it always gives me a flashback of being a kid riding with my family.

Lee

Adventurer
Well....that made my hopes for a nicer Tea Cups roof go away....I'm sad now :(
New roof would've been nice, and seriously...how much could it really cost?

Anyhow...DL wins the Teacups beauty competition.

(Photo courtesy of the Tours Departing Daily site.)

Attachments

• 1249941522_N3kez-XL-2.jpg
    1249941522_N3kez-XL-2.jpg
    357.4 KB · Views: 107

BriEcho3194

New roof would've been nice, and seriously...how much could it really cost?

Anyhow...DL wins the Teacups beauty competition.

(Photo courtesy of the Tours Departing Daily site.)

Yeah I agree with you Lee! I was thinking just replacing the old roof and making it fit the forest area like a over sized leafs or something lol

MerlinTheGoat

The concept art made me think they were planning to install a new glass roof like Paris'. Would have been really great, Paris' is quite lovely (of course, everything about DLP is absolutely gorgeous, when in good condition anyways)-
http://www.dlrpmagic.com/images/pages/975/mad-hatters-tea-cups.jpg
http://images47.fotki.com/v1498/photos/1/1220156/5403049/MadHattersTeacups4-vi.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3464/3355461996_66e8b65ea7.jpg

Kind of reminds me of the glass roofs of some victorian era train stations. I guess that's a no, but misleading concept art again? Typical.:lol:

ChristianG

ChristianG

The concept art made me think they were planning to install a new glass roof like Paris'. Would have been really great, Paris' is quite lovely (of course, everything about DLP is absolutely gorgeous, when in good condition anyways)-
http://www.dlrpmagic.com/images/pages/975/mad-hatters-tea-cups.jpg
http://images47.fotki.com/v1498/photos/1/1220156/5403049/MadHattersTeacups4-vi.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3464/3355461996_66e8b65ea7.jpg

Kind of reminds me of the glass roofs of some victorian era train stations. I guess that's a no, but misleading concept art again? Typical.:lol:

I agree, it looks gorgeous. But I'm wondering, with Florida's high winds and rain, wouldn't a glass roof be dangerous?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom