M:S sickness...

Dr Albert Falls

Original Poster
I found some specific problems with Jim's article---

First of all, if he had read M:S reviews on ANY other website, he'd see there are very few complaints of motion sickness. Yes, some do feel a bit lightheaded. But I have not seen one mention of someone getting "physically" sick (i.e. vomiting) Even Jim's article doesn't specifically mention any examples--but his title "Scrubbed. Repeatedly. With disinfectant" suggests that.

Did anyone puke or not, Jim? If so, say it.

Also, Jim has taken things WAY out of context. He cites an Orlando Sentinel article, suggesting the author and another journalist experienced motion sickness.

Here's the entire article:

www.orlandosentinel.com/b...8540.story

Notice the words "motion sickness" or anything similar is NEVER MENTIONED. Yes, the journalist had "wobbly knees". Most people DO after getting off a good roller coaster or thrill ride. But it didn't say he/she was ill.

And yes, the journalist felt 'Four minutes (of spinning in space) was long enough for me' [NOTE: Hill added the "spinning in space" paraphrase!!!!!!!] Four minutes of ANY intense ride is long enough. Hulk, Kraken, you name it.

Woody13

Originally posted by darthdarrel
I`m sorry,but this is the reason I will NOT be ridng MS!
I know that I would :hurl: up my breakfast! :lookaroun

How bad could a "glitter and cotton candy" upchuck be? :rolleyes:

figmentbaby

Despite the fact that I am now depressed from reading that article....Grizz you have to prove them wrong! I'm sure the ride is fine. You're gonna listen to one reporter vs. the people of magic who have been enjoying it without any complaints??? I dont think so!

PhotoDave219

I wouldnt call him a reporter, Jen. Does a dissservice to me & Jason.... Rather i'd call him a "waste of space" because there is a limited amount of oxygen on this planet and he's wasting ours. :D :lol:

Tim G

C'mon....Ride it...

It's just like riding Small World... but then emmm...
smaller, tighter...:lol:

YOU CAN DO IT....:D :D :D

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

RIDE IT!!!! The worst that is going to happen is you are going to be in terror for 3 mins and possibly hurl ;) LOL. No seriously, I am sure you will be perfectly fine and love it. If you dont ride you will never know what you are missing, and may regret it later on! :)

WDW John

Originally posted by wdwmagic
If you dont ride you will never know what you are missing, and may regret it later on! :)

Just out of curiosity, Steve, when are YOU planning on riding it? I would imagine that your location doesn't make for frequent trips to try out new stuff. Any plans soon? :)

darthdarrel

Originally posted by wdwmagic
RIDE IT!!!! The worst that is going to happen is you are going to be in terror for 3 mins and possibly hurl ;) LOL. No seriously, I am sure you will be perfectly fine and love it. If you dont ride you will never know what you are missing, and may regret it later on! :)
LOL! Thanks Steve,but I know my limitations, I rode The Millenium Force last year at Cedar Point and I came very close to blacking out! :eek: All I saw infront of my eyes was Squiggly lines and I almost passed out! Then when I got off of it and got my bearings I :hurl: :(

DarkMeasures

My brother would wait in line 3 hours for a ride if it made him black out.

Anyway.

I remember seeing a pod being hosed out once. Then the person was barfing in a puke bag while an ambulance was parked in front of Mission: Space.

disneydudette

Just wanted to add...that on our recent trip...2 of my friends did get physically sick after the ride...they did not vomit "on" the ride...but in the bathrooms by the post show...
I can't say that this was all do to the ride..as both my firends can handle BW and ST with out the slightest feeling of being "uncomfortable''...they can handle all the rides at the carnival...ToT and roller coasters...etc...
We hadn't ate since around 2 (it was around 5 when we went on it) so I'm not sure if it was due to the food or not...

its still a puzzle...but I personally was fine...some other members of the group said they felt dizzy...but it wore off once they got some water and sat down...our two "lucky" riders were fine after they went to the bathroom...but stayed away from rides to be on the safe side....

glad to here that this was a fluke case...and that not everyone has been getting sick...

mickhyperion

Re: Please

Originally posted by WDW John
Is there any fear of people becoming claustrophobic in the pod itself?

In the original Submarine Voyage in Disneyland they installed little air vents in front of each window to blow air towards Guests to help combat claustrophobia.

Is there any air blowing on you in M:S?

Dr Albert Falls

Original Poster
Interesting you should bring up the air vents. YES, there ARE small A/C vents (similar to ones on an airplane) blowing on you in Mission:Space.

I always assumed the Submarine Voyage/20K vents were used to keep the portholes "de-fogged".

Maria

LOL! Thanks Steve,but I know my limitations, I rode The Millenium Force last year at Cedar Point and I came very close to blacking out! :eek: All I saw infront of my eyes was Squiggly lines and I almost passed out! Then when I got off of it and got my bearings I :hurl: :(

Darrel... you said it: "Millennium Force"! There is NO WAY I would ride that one! ...but I love RnRC and I can´t wait to ride M:S! :animwink: I think you´ll be fine!

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Dr Albert Falls
Interesting you should bring up the air vents. YES, there ARE small A/C vents (similar to ones on an airplane) blowing on you in Mission:Space.

I always assumed the Submarine Voyage/20K vents were used to keep the portholes "de-fogged".

Well, when you feel claustrophobia, or any fear, your body tenses up and your body temperature rises in seconds (it's amazing how quickly fear can change the way your body works). As your temperature rises, if you stay in that situation for an extended period, your heightened body temperature is what makes you sick...like...have you ever been waiting to give an oral presentation for a class, and were really nervous, felt your body heating up, and you start to feel nauseous? It's the same effect. Blowing cool air on you helps to keep your body temperature lower, diminishing the effects of fear:)

mickhyperion

Air

Air blowing also helps to combat motion sickness as well. Motion sickness occurs when your inner ear balance tells you you're moving, but your eyes tell you you're not, such as when trying to read a book in a moving vehicle. The moving air helps to reinforce what your inner ear is telling you. I imagine this must be especially helpful while confined in M:S.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom