M:S and "Mission to Mars" movie

Dr Albert Falls

Original Poster
I know Disney is famous for recycling, but this is incredible.

While waiting in line for M:S, a cast member announced to the crowds that the overhead spaceship AND the huge 2-story gravity wheel in the queue were both from the movie "Mission to Mars" (starring Gary Sinise, of course).

I just rented the movie. Hard to believe, but the CM was correct! There is a scene where a few of the actors walk around the rim of the wheel. They kept the exact same "furniture" inside!

It also looks like the lighted console in M:S Mission Control room was also a movie set piece!

Considering the Smithsonian loaned the Moon Rover model to M:S, this has got to be the most bargain-basement queue Disney has ever built. It makes that $100 million price tag even more impressive.

(Useless trivia--- Disney's first began putting movie props in the parks in 1955, when the 20,000 Leagues squid and set were a Disneyland Tomorrowland attraction.)

ThePhantom

YOu want bargain basement queues? Come on out to DCA! I don't think they have 1 single queue thats better than the worst queue at WDW! ;)

Dr Albert Falls

Original Poster
M:S queue is extremely cool. It's no "Indiana Jones" at DL... but in the new FastPass era, will there ever be an Indy queue again?

I was just amazed that such a HUGE item was recycled from a movie. And the main centerpiece at that. Imagine if Disney did NOT have the movie to "borrow" from. They would have probably needed to spend a few extra million.

JLW11Hi

Originally posted by Dr Albert Falls
M:S queue is extremely cool. It's no "Indiana Jones" at DL... but in the new FastPass era, will there ever be an Indy queue again?

lol, It's queues like Indy that make me almost want to stand in line!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
During the development of space many years ago, they were hoping the movie was going to be a big hit, which would make the small tie ins with the attraction an extra bonus for guests...

"hey theres the gravity wheel from my favorite movie" - kinda thing etc..

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by wdwmagic
During the development of space many years ago, they were hoping the movie was going to be a big hit, which would make the small tie ins with the attraction an extra bonus for guests...

"hey theres the gravity wheel from my favorite movie" - kinda thing etc..

Thus, Gary Sinise is Capcom...luckily, he had some great movies before Mission to Mars, so everyone remembers him for his Apollo 13 and Lt. Dan roll:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom