Low point contracts no selling well?

mmexpress

Original Poster
Low point contracts not selling well?

I recently listed my 100 OKW points with resales dvc and I noticed there are two other 100 point contracts still open.
Contracts like that used to be snatched up within a day or two, I wonder if more people are going direct because of the new restrictions?

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I recently listed my 100 OKW points with resales dvc and I noticed there are two other 100 point contracts still open.
Contracts like that used to be snatched up within a day or two, I wonder if more people are going direct because of the new restrictions?

Yes - and not knowing what is coming next!

I was going to buy 100 to 150 additional points this year but have put it off and may never buy them.

tjkraz

Could be any number of factors:

* Resale restrictions
* Now that there are 11 resorts, OKW is not as in-demand as it once was
* If you didn't buy the extension, points are only good for 30 more years
* 100 points don't go as far as they used to at some of the newer locations
* Resale prices have fallen in the last couple of years so many buyers may actually be looking for larger contracts
* Your listing price
* Banked/borrowed status of the contract

DVC Mike

I think anyone looking to buy was forced into deciding before the restrictions went into affect, and so all pent-up demand is gone in short-term.

It will pick back up again.

OurDailyGruel

I have to believe that there is no secondary market for renting or resale if I decide to buy into DVC. I figured that I need 196 points to use 201 points every year on a BLT 2 bedroom MLK (I'll purchase rental points if the allocation fluctuates). By the time I am no longer financially responsible for my kids' education and general support, I will have ten more years to go before end of contract.

Hopefully, Disney will not screw me on the maintenance hikes but I have yet to begin mulling just how bad those dues could become without any hope of resale or renting and I have to wonder what unforeseen disaster could make the annual financial obligation untenable.

I started with wanting 160 points for an annual stay, went bananas dreaming of spending every school holiday at BLT to the tune of adding on for a total 700 points. Now I am on the fence about a one time 196 purchase.

Pioneer Hall

I have to believe that there is no secondary market for renting or resale if I decide to buy into DVC. I figured that I need 196 points to use 201 points every year on a BLT 2 bedroom MLK (I'll purchase rental points if the allocation fluctuates). By the time I am no longer financially responsible for my kids' education and general support, I will have ten more years to go before end of contract.

Hopefully, Disney will not screw me on the maintenance hikes but I have yet to begin mulling just how bad those dues could become without any hope of resale or renting and I have to wonder what unforeseen disaster could make the annual financial obligation untenable.

I started with wanting 160 points for an annual stay, went bananas dreaming of spending every school holiday at BLT to the tune of adding on for a total 700 points. Now I am on the fence about a one time 196 purchase.

While dues increase, Disney has to show you exactly where those dues are going so you know how that money is being spent. Dues also don't seem to increase as much as the regular room rates do from year to year. Unfortunately an unfortuante circumstance such as the hurricanes affect on Vero Beach a few years ago could cause a sharper increase in your dues.

flynnibus

Premium Member
well you can always count on dues to increase - it's just reality. Cost of business goes up... properties age and cost of maintaining them goes up. You have a fixed revenue base, and costs that will never do anything but go up.

It's only a question of how much at what rate.

dreamfinder

Definitely noticed alot of demand prior to the resale rules change. I imagine it will take a while for the market to pick back up. The same thing cash for clunkers did for the auto industry. People rushed out to buy, and then sales dropped for a few months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom