low light at WDW both photos and videos

rat face

Original Poster
Hi all, I made reservation for next May (2021). I was hoping to get some good low light videos and photos. I have an older Nikon DSLR (D90) it's a bit heavy but I do have a number of lenses. I might bring this just for long lenses at AK and use it just for safari and animal shots. I'm sure there are better offerings now a days. I also have a Fuji x100f I love the fuji for photos but it's not a video monster. I've been looking at getting a GoPro 8. At least for the video bits. Any suggestions on a one size fits all solution for this trip? Low light inside the rides are very important. Thanks RF

BoarderPhreak

Advertisement
You want the newest sensor and brightest lenses generally. Newer cameras tend to perform much better at higher ISO (less noise) and faster lenses let you shoot at slower ISO speeds. Win-win.

Are you in the market for a new camera?

rat face

Original Poster
You want the newest sensor and brightest lenses generally. Newer cameras tend to perform much better at higher ISO (less noise) and faster lenses let you shoot at slower ISO speeds. Win-win.

Are you in the market for a new camera?
Yes I'll get a new camera for this trip,if i find the right one that I can justafy. I'll pobaly buy a GoPro 8 or if they have a 9 by then for at least water based rides. But maybe a better low light camera. Is the GoPro good for dark rides?

BoarderPhreak

I might suggest a Fuji like the X-T4 (or get a good deal on the X-T3 and others; there are some serious Fuji sales currently). You can do stills and video no problem; no need for a separate GoPro. Since you already have the X100F, you won't have to relearn the basics.

Of course there are other options, but they're generally going to be more expensive, like Sony or Canon/Nikon, etc.

rat face

Original Poster
I do like the idea of another Fuji. Is the low light capabilities good on the X-Tx series? The reason I thought of the GoPro is for the water resistance. Thank you for you help.

BoarderPhreak

I love my Fuji system (I have an X-T1 and X-T2, lots of lenses mostly primes). One day I'll upgrade to an X-T4 (I purposely skipped the X-T3). Between the high ISO and fast lenses, I even caught scenes inside the HM; these were at ISO 12,800:

rat face

Original Poster
Those are fantastic photos. What lens are you using. Also are you using the X-T1 or the X-T2 here. How is the video on these cameras? BoarderPhreak you have been so helpful

Thanks again RF

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

Thanks! Those were shot with the Fujifilm 16mm f/1.4 (incredible lens) on the X-T2. You really can't go wrong with ANY of their lenses. I prefer fast primes; 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2 and 90mm f/2. For Disney I generally take the 16mm, 35mm and 90mm for a nice spread - along with the 10-24mm f/4. The 16/90 are water/dust resistant so I can shoot in the rain while the zoom is super wide for tight spots. The 90mm works for the AK KS but just barely. I've brought longer lenses in the past but it's not worth it (every time) as it spends most of its time in the hotel safe. The best part is, with a combo mechanical/electronic shutter set, I can shoot the fast primes wide open all day long right into the night.

My X-T2 shoots lovely 4K video (or 720/1080) at normal/slomo. I don't shoot much video, but it's not because of the camera. The X-T4 is improved all around, so bonus.

Check out 2017, 2018 and 2019 - all Fuji shot: https://litpixel.com/gallery/sets/walt-disney-world/

Top Bottom