Low crowd trends? Is this true?

Christi22222

Original Poster
I have gotten a couple of anecdotal reports of the parks being very slow right now. That would shock me in July! But then there has been a rash of discount offerings, even after we were told Disney would be "weaning" us off of them. And the marathon is not filling as quickly in any of the race distances. Normally there would be some races sold out. Did the recession finally catch up to Disney? Did all those discounts the last couple of years just pull all of the vacationers forward, kind of like the "cash for clunkers" and housing tax breaks? And now reality is setting in for households who thought this would be a short slump? I'd love to hear folks thoughts on this, and certainly any hard facts regarding crowds and room bookings. Personally, I have been very frustrated by the crowds at my usually low times. I've had trouble two January/February's in a row. If I still have crowds when hours are short and weather is bad and rides are closed, I am not going to go at that time anymore!

What do you know? What do you think/guess? Thanks!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We were there the first two weeks in June. First week, manageable. The second week, a lot more crowded and what I anticipated a summer day to be. By no means was it lite crowds. If things have taken a turn crowd wise, I might go back.....:ROFLOL:

mwbrown

I have been at WDW since the 5th, and I can tell you the crowds are not light. We have come every July for the past few years (although usually a week or two later than this) and the parks are as busy as I have seen them on any of our trips (except when we came during Christmas Break).

I don't have any hard numbers, but it definitely isn't slow. Not stupid crowded like X-Mas, but we had a nearly 10 min queue to get onto the TTC yesterday, and the wait time at Toy Story Mania the other night was 110 minutes....

SoupBone

I was there from July 1-5. Here is my anecdotal take. Universal IoA was stupid packed on July 2. MK was very light on July 3rd and the longest line I waited in during the day was 15 minutes. July 3rd evening was pretty packed and the longest line I stood in was Space Mountain (45 minutes).

July 4th Epcot was very light in the morning and throughout the day but during the evening hours became very packed. About an hour before the show it was tough moving around.

prberk

Not there, but I looked into reservations last week, to come down at the last minute (in case I could make it), and I found plenty of availability, even at the resorts that I usually have trouble getting (Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge).

I think late Summer is usually not excessively crowded, because (1) it is hot at home and people think Florida will be even hotter, and (2) they have other vacation spots to visit in the summer (beaches) that are closer to home.

71jason

Did MK close July 4 weekend this year? The Sunday should have been a given, even with the rain, and I figured Saturday might hit capacity as well.

jobo

Was at the world from mid to end of June and crowds were a lot lower than any year previous (been going same time every year since 1998)

NadieMasK2

We were at the MK July 5th and the park wasn't nearly as crowded as I expected it to be. We arrived at 10am and walked on several rides. No fastpasses "sold out", they were available all day. We didn't wait in ANY long lines. Of course it rained for several days straight and both showings of MSEP were cancelled, but still....

lilphil6487

i hope this is true. im leaving tomorrow and will be there sunday. going to mk on monday. last time i went it was arounf this time. we got to park openings everday and for like the first 2 hours it was great but by lunch it was packed. and it seemed like the tour groups followed us everywhere we went.

the-reason14

i hope this is true. im leaving tomorrow and will be there sunday. going to mk on monday. last time i went it was arounf this time. we got to park openings everday and for like the first 2 hours it was great but by lunch it was packed. and it seemed like the tour groups followed us everywhere we went.

Same here, I'll be arriving Sunday, but I have no hope for it to be light crowds. That way, if it is(which I know it won't) I can be pleasantly surprised!

I agree...I arrive next fri and totally expect it to be packed..what a surprise it will be if it is even the slightest bit less than packed. DH was following wait times w/ itouch app tonight for the MK at 10:40M had 80 min, SM was 40 BTMRR was 25 min, potc 10 min, BLSRS 20 min.....if these are true that sounds good considering it is eve extra magic hour 'til 2am!:sohappy: Finger crossed but hopefor nothing and we wont be disappointed!!

SnowFire

Same here too. You wouldn't happen to be taking the Autotrain would you? We are. Tried it for the first time last year and loved it.

Pioneer Hall

It does seem that crowds are down a bit, but I think part of it might be the locals too. If I am not mistaken, there was a good amount of rain the days around the 4th. I am sure a lot of locals planned around that since they didn't want to be caught in a downpour at the parks.

Christi22222

Original Poster
Interesting mix of responses at both ends of the spectrum. Really wish we had some (sort of) factual numbers on room bookings, or even some insider comments/info. Not sure what to make of some people feeling it's quieter, but others def not! Time of day? Luck? Perspective? Park chosen? Most of the comments seem to be MK though. Should be relatively apples to apples then.

rangerbob

We were at EPCOT on the 4th. When we first arrived the parking lot wasn't that crowded at all. Normally they are in most of the overflow lots, behind the AAA lot is one of them and it wasn't even touched and they were still filling the main lots that they normally use and they were only 1/2 filled. It did start to get more crowded closer to Illuminations but managible. We walked over to the Beach club to get some ice cream and asked about the gates being closed and they said not here but MK was. It does seem that most of the parks attendances is down right now but not empty. I saw this over at Sea World also 2 nights ago.

marypoppins68

Welll, you also have to remember that it was quite rainy last weekend--July 3-4. Rain always keeps some people away. Now that we've had nicer weather again I would expect the crowds to be where they normally are for this time of year.

mp2bill

Interesting mix of responses at both ends of the spectrum. Really wish we had some (sort of) factual numbers on room bookings, or even some insider comments/info. Not sure what to make of some people feeling it's quieter, but others def not! Time of day? Luck? Perspective? Park chosen? Most of the comments seem to be MK though. Should be relatively apples to apples then.

That's what I was thinking

floridabill

They're all at universal duh!

We have to all face the fact that now that wizards world is open it is over for disney unless they step up there game! once universal gets even more money from the wizard boy that means more rides, more shows, and more holiday and special event's! harry potter will be big forever and never die off. It kills me disney did not get this but oh well it is what it is. I understand there isn't much repeat value, and it is geared toward a different market, but going to wizards world opens people up to the rest of islands of adventure, and once there they become season pass holders and ditch disney because they feel they are to stale. I am just waiting for the announcement at the next D23 expo that the walt disney company is seizing the florida parks operation. ;)

the-reason14

We have to all face the fact that now that wizards world is open it is over for disney unless they step up there game! once universal gets even more money from the wizard boy that means more rides, more shows, and more holiday and special event's! harry potter will be big forever and never die off. It kills me disney did not get this but oh well it is what it is. I understand there isn't much repeat value, and it is geared toward a different market, but going to wizards world opens people up to the rest of islands of adventure, and once there they become season pass holders and ditch disney because they feel they are to stale. I am just waiting for the announcement at the next D23 expo that the walt disney company is seizing the florida parks operation. ;)

I highly doubt its that serious, but its a wait and see thing I suppose. Ill be at wdw tomorrow, and even though I know it will be crowded maybe just maybe it won't be that bad. Ya right.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom