Love Bugs!

Wendylet

So we are planning to visit WDW in May 2022. I want the real skinny on the love bug situation. We have a 7 year old who I fear may be terrified of them as she is averse to bugs in general. We want to prepare her but fear actually scaring her more than anything. Currently we are hoping for May 7-21 but could move the dates a bit if the beginning or end of the month would be better. So how bad might it be really? Will they be swarming us? At the pools or water parks? What should we expect and how would you explain this to a squeamish young girl?

Lilofan

I live within about a mile of Magic Kingdom. So far, I have seen very few...no squashed bugs on my car front end or windshield, either. I'm hoping for the best!
That Reams road behind MK is a doozy at night and even during the day. Lots of car wrecks so drive carefully.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Here at WDW now on our trip and haven’t encountered any at the resort or around MK. Past trips we have run into them though, so hitting it at this moment without any issues.

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

While I'm not in FL, we get them here in TX as well and started seeing them 2-3 weeks ago. I don't think we get them as bad as FL, but we've been seeing a higher amount than average this year.

I don't know if this would work or not, but when I did live in FL and the lovebugs were in season...I remember a parent telling a child they're just fireflies/lightning bugs that didn't grow a light. They're not related, but they do look a lot alike. This kids hated bugs, but liked fireflies, so it eased her mind. Yes, it's a lie, but if it gets you through your trip without having a lovebug meltdown, it could be worth it.

Upvote 0

Wendylet

Original Poster
While I'm not in FL, we get them here in TX as well and started seeing them 2-3 weeks ago. I don't think we get them as bad as FL, but we've been seeing a higher amount than average this year.

I don't know if this would work or not, but when I did live in FL and the lovebugs were in season...I remember a parent telling a child they're just fireflies/lightning bugs that didn't grow a light. They're not related, but they do look a lot alike. This kids hated bugs, but liked fireflies, so it eased her mind. Yes, it's a lie, but if it gets you through your trip without having a lovebug meltdown, it could be worth it.
That’s a wonderful idea. I will have to think about whether or not that would work!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

That is sounding good! Thanks for the update!
Strange but we aren’t seeing the little lizard creatures that are normally running all over the sidewalks and other areas where they are normally racing through. My wife’s service dog encountered only one so far on his walks. Surprised the heck out of him.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Strange but we aren’t seeing the little lizard creatures that are normally running all over the sidewalks and other areas where they are normally racing through. My wife’s service dog encountered only one so far on his walks. Surprised the heck out of him.
We were there a couple of weeks ago and we saw a ton of the lizards. I would say that it was more then what we usually see. Strange.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

We were there a couple of weeks ago and we saw a ton of the lizards. I would say that it was more then what we usually see. Strange.
Once the jumping lizards get in your home or condo in FL, you can forget about catching them. The lizards will curl up in a corner and expire and one can find them months later.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom