Trip Report Lots of New for The Same Old Crew

Hello, hello!! I'm back!! I assume you all remember me considering I just wrapped up my last TR less than 24 hours ago!! :hilarious:

WHO: As the title says--The Same Old Crew!!
IMG_7032.JPEG

WHERE: The Yacht Club!! E found that awesome AP deal during our October/November trip!!
IMG_8816.JPEG

WHEN: Friday, January 22nd - Monday, January 25th

BACKSTORY: J had either Friday or Monday(I can't remember which) off school so he would only have to miss one day. I usually work Sundays & if I'm not there that means my boss has to work. I originally booked my room for Friday & Saturday night & booked an early flight out Sunday morning so I could still work the late shift that day. When I asked him about having Friday & Saturday off as my 2 days off for the week he said that was fine. He asked me about Sunday & I told him that I figured I would have to work but......E & J were staying until Monday. He told me he would work for me on Sunday so I could stay longer!! Woo Hoo!! An extra full day in Disney!! I ended up flying home early Monday(E & J had a later flight) so I could work the late shift that day.

As it turned out it was cheaper to fly home on Monday so I ended up with a Southwest credit!! I tried to add an additional day on to the room & it wouldn't let me. I just ended up booking another reservation for Sunday night & it was at a lower rate than the already low rates we had for Friday & Saturday!!

We had a 10:30ish flight. I drove to the airport b/c when I landed on Monday I would literally have to drive right to work to be able to make it on time. Since E & J's flight was later JSR was going to pick them up when they got back.
Gotta take the pic to remember where I parked the car. I'm glad I remembered to do that b/c something bizarre happened to me right before that. For whatever reason I ended up not driving through the area where you get your parking ticket. So---how was I to get out come Monday?? Also, I was still scratching my head on how I even got in--to this day I still can't figure it out. Of course, no one was around for me to ask so I decided not to worry about it until Monday. I figured the worst that would happen was that I would have to pay the max rate for not having a ticket. Not what I would really want to do but whatever.
IMG_8780.JPEG

We stopped at Chick-fil-A for some breakfast.
IMG_8781.JPEG

And Dunkin' for coffee. Darn Starbucks still isn't open!!
IMG_8782.JPEG

It was pretty full at our gate so we sat at another one that was empty.
IMG_8783.JPEG

We were leaving typical Pittsburgh weather behind.
IMG_8784.PNG

And headed for this!!
IMG_8785.PNG

As we got on the plane E saw 2 seats in row 2 were empty. There was an aisle seat in row 1 that was empty also. They sat in 2 & I sat in 1.
IMG_8788.JPEG

No SVU on that day but another favorite of mine was so that made the time go by real quick!!
IMG_8789.PNG

Songbird76

SATURDAY, JANUARY 23RD

While on the monorail J became a quick change artist.
View attachment 559826

There he is with his new socks on!!🤣🤣🤣 Yeah, they don't match his outfit in the least but at least they were dry!!
View attachment 559827

Poly construction.
View attachment 559828

And we arrived at The Grand Floridian!!
View attachment 559829

Is it really called "blunch" or is that a typo? I've just never heard of that term.
View attachment 559830

We approached the hostess stand & said that we saw available reservations on the app & we'd like a table. First off, she was not very nice. Second, she told us it would be at least an hour wait b/c there were no open tables. E & I were quite irritated and starting getting in the same mood J was in with his wet socks/shoes.
But, instead of arguing with her we walked away & did this.....
View attachment 559831
Notice the time on my phone & the time of the reservation--not the hour she was claiming.

We tried to go in here but it was too early.
View attachment 559832

View attachment 559833

We went outside to walk around a bit.
View attachment 559834

And at 12:01 we were called for our 12:10 reservation that we scored at 11:38 that hostess claimed wasn't available for an hour:rolleyes:
View attachment 559835
Was it the same hostess when you came back to be seated? No open tables, indeed.

lindawdw

It's so nice that you get to spend some quality Aunt time with J on these trips because he really loves when you spoil him! We never made it to Test Track on our last few trips but it's always fun to do when the wait time isn't too long! We haven't eaten over at the Ale and Compass since they redid the area but I think we'll give it a try in October or December! We always enjoyed having drinks in the little lounge prior to the refurb!

slipperalwaysfits

Notice E is now wearing pants--she bought those after the sweatshirt b/c she was so cold.
YES!! I try to prepare for the weather and possible showers while at Disney but sometimes, it gets too chilly and the sweatshirt is back in my room or not warm enough. Disney clothes are an expensive purchase but sometimes very necessary!
I asked J if he wanted to walk over to Epcot to see if we could get on Test Track since it had broke down while we were in line the day before.
AAAaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww, what a fun aunt and nephew afternoon! I'm glad you got on!

We met E at Ale & Compass Lounge for dinner.
I've never tried this but I'm going to have to put it on the list! It sounds really yummy and the menu looks great (I love seafood)! So glad you had a good experience there...

riverside

Original Poster
Was it the same hostess when you came back to be seated? No open tables, indeed.
Yes, she was there!! Couldn't see her face b/c of the mask but her eyes looked bewildered to me!!
It's so nice that you get to spend some quality Aunt time with J on these trips because he really loves when you spoil him! We never made it to Test Track on our last few trips but it's always fun to do when the wait time isn't too long! We haven't eaten over at the Ale and Compass since they redid the area but I think we'll give it a try in October or December! We always enjoyed having drinks in the little lounge prior to the refurb!
We had a good time!! The wait wasn't bad--probably b/c of the weather.
We really enjoyed it & I'm so glad we tried it!! I'd go back in a minute!!
YES!! I try to prepare for the weather and possible showers while at Disney but sometimes, it gets too chilly and the sweatshirt is back in my room or not warm enough. Disney clothes are an expensive purchase but sometimes very necessary!
They are expensive but I'd rather not be cold!!
AAAaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww, what a fun aunt and nephew afternoon! I'm glad you got on!
I was glad we did also!! J was excited!!
I've never tried this but I'm going to have to put it on the list! It sounds really yummy and the menu looks great (I love seafood)! So glad you had a good experience there...
It was great!! If I were you I'd definitely give it a try!!

riverside

Original Poster
SATURDAY, JANUARY 23RD

I almost forgot this photo from dinner. And looking at what's in J's hand makes me remember I forgot something else. Guess who got hungry once E & I finished the appetizers?? She took him down to Ale & Compass & he got hard boiled eggs to eat.
IMG_7086.JPEG

SUNDAY, JANUARY 24TH

This text woke me up at 6:09 the next morning. Remember I had 2 reservations b/c initially I wasn't sure how long I'd be able to go for? The text made me laugh--I sure hope the room is ready since I was already in it!!
IMG_9055.PNG

I took a shower(it was no better than the day before) and headed over to The Boardwalk to check out the bakery.
IMG_9057.JPEG

It was early so it was still very quiet.
IMG_9058.JPEG

It was also a very nice morning.
IMG_9059.JPEG

Hello Yacht Club!!
IMG_9061.JPEG

IMG_9062.JPEG

Everything in the case looked so good!!
IMG_9063.JPEG

Especially the salads!! I would have bought one but we had breakfast reservations that morning.
IMG_9064.JPEG

I have a good friend who really enjoys staying at The Boardwalk so I sent this picture to her.
IMG_9065.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24TH

I sent her this picture also.
IMG_9067.JPEG

This picture doesn't do it justice but let me tell you this was the tiniest cup of coffee I have ever had!! And it wasn't cheap either!!
IMG_9068.JPEG

As I went to throw the cup away I noticed cat food containers in the garbage can. I thought that was very odd. I'm not sure if it is or not but even if it is a pet friendly resort I can't see too many people bringing their cat. I was quite puzzled by this--until I read something in @Doc Disney's latest TR. She said that her & her mom had seen a rat on the boardwalk. I'm wondering if Disney has some cats that they let out at night to try to keep the critters away? Maybe they feed them out on the boardwalk to keep them in that area?
IMG_9069.JPEG

I headed back to meet E & J so we could catch a bus.
IMG_9072.JPEG

Nope--no MK for us that day.
IMG_9073.JPEG

We hopped on the monorail.
IMG_9074.JPEG

J was in a much better mood than he was the day before on there!!
IMG_9075.JPEG

IMG_9077.JPEG

We were headed to The Contemporary. We had some time before breakfast so we browsed the shops. I bought this to hold my work ID in. I'm not thrilled with the hook part of it though so I've yet to use it!
IMG_9079.JPEG

IMG_9080.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24TH

J had been asking to eat at Chef Mickey's for the longest time. It's been about 2 1/2 years since he ate there last but he really liked it. E booked the reservation with me included before I knew if I was still going to be there that day or not. I'm super glad I was!!
IMG_9082.JPEG

IMG_9085.PNG

Chef Mickey's is such a fun restaurant!!
IMG_9087.JPEG

Everything that we could see looked very good.
IMG_9088.JPEG

IMG_9089.JPEG

Our waitress brought out some pastries first.
IMG_9091.JPEG

And fruit. I loved the basil on the watermelon & the yogurt parfait was very good also!!
IMG_9092.JPEG

Mickey came around first.
IMG_9094.JPEG

IMG_9095.JPEG

IMG_9097.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24TH

The main part of the meal came out quite quickly. I have ate breakfast & dinner at Chef Mickey's in the past. I didn't dislike either but I didn't think they were anything stellar also. It was always more about the characters than the food. E even kept apologizing that J wanted to go there b/c she wasn't a big fan of the food either. Boy--have times changed!! The food was delicious!! Everything was excellent!!
IMG_9098.JPEG

I would go again just for the potatoes. They were to die for!! I didn't eat any of the pancake but J said it was good. The french toast was really good too!!
IMG_9099.JPEG

And POG juice--could life get any better?? Notice E has water & no juice? She doesn't like the POG juiceo_O
IMG_9100.JPEG

The characters were very interactive & it made for a fun experience.
IMG_9102.JPEG

IMG_9103.JPEG

We were all having a great time!!
IMG_9106.JPEG

IMG_9107.JPEG

IMG_9111.JPEG

IMG_9112.JPEG

I know Chef Mickey's had a bad rap for quite awhile--more for food quality than anything. Friends, don't be afraid to give this place another try. I'm so glad we did!! I liked the family style serving more than the buffet. The food was so much better than it's been in the past. Our waitress was extremely nice & the characters were so much fun!! I'm so glad we gave this another try!! You won't be disappointed!!

After our awesome breakfast we headed out to catch a bus to HS!!
IMG_9114.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24TH

While waiting for the bus a monorail was coming through so I attempted to be creative.
IMG_9115.JPEG

IMG_9116.JPEG

Then there were two!!
IMG_9117.JPEG

We made it to HS in no time at all!!
IMG_9118.JPEG

It looked like the crowds were low.
IMG_9119.JPEG

I sent this pic to @Darstarr to let her know what PCB's HS had for sale.
IMG_9120.JPEG

IMG_9121.JPEG

Vamparina was coming through.
IMG_9122.JPEG

We headed to TSL and found that the end of the line for TSM was here!!
IMG_9123.JPEG

IMG_9124.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24TH

The line for TSM looked quite scary in length but as you can see the sign says it was a 25 minute wait. In reality it was only 15!!
IMG_9125.JPEG

It moved quickly & in no time at all J & I resumed our traditional crayon battle!!
IMG_9126.JPEG

IMG_9127.JPEG

He wanted to ride with me.
IMG_9128.JPEG

Shame on us....
IMG_9129.JPEG

I'm sure you figured it out but E got Best In Vehicle!!
IMG_9130.JPEG

Next up was MMRR. Remember just a few short months before this J cried b/c he was so scared of the "tornado scene". Now he loves it!!
IMG_7108.JPEG

IMG_9133.JPEG

lindawdw

It certainly looks like you had a great time and how could you not with such good food and fun characters!!! I haven't eaten at Chef Mickey's since 1990!!! The TSM line is always quite deceiving and since it's my favorite attraction at DHS, we always have to ride it no matter the wait time!

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24TH

We parted ways for a bit. E wanted to look in the shops while J wanted to ride Smuggler's Run. I had not attempted to get a BG for RotR b/c J said he didn't want to go on it.

This was the end of the line for Baseline!!
IMG_9135.JPEG

We paused to watch this crew for a bit.
IMG_9136.JPEG

IMG_9137.JPEG

IMG_9138.JPEG

J was really enjoying seeing all the characters.
IMG_9140.JPEG

We moved on to the bad part of town.
IMG_9141.JPEG

IMG_9142.JPEG

We were both quite thirsty from standing in the sun so we ordered some drinks.
IMG_9144.PNG

IMG_9145.JPEG

Very refreshing!!(& expensive🤣)
IMG_9148.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24TH

While enjoying our drinks J wanted to check out the characters some more.
IMG_9149.JPEG

IMG_9150.JPEG

Still following the rules.....
IMG_9151.JPEG

Even though he said he didn't want to go on I figured I'd attempt to get a BG. I thought if I could get one he might change his mind. Unfortunately, I was not able to get one.
IMG_9152.PNG

J was excited b/c Kylo Ren came out.
IMG_9153.JPEG

We finished our drinks & made it to Smuggler's Run.
IMG_9154.JPEG

IMG_9155.JPEG

This time around the ride seemed rougher than I remembered. Could it have something to do with the pilot?
IMG_9156.JPEG

IMG_9158.JPEG

Before we got on the ride we had stopped for a PPP & this is what we got.
IMG_9183.JPG

Pretty cool!!

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24TH

After Smuggler's Run we met up with E at Baseline!!
IMG_9160.JPEG

Well, kind of sort of....we were sitting at a table across the way b/c there was no room there. Again, @lindawdw another reason you're right about needing another one!!
IMG_9161.JPEG

I'm not a big cider fan but this was pretty good!!
IMG_9162.JPEG

Sent this to R b/c as we all know he just loves the atmosphere there. BTW--we're eating there in July:arghh: I can hardly wait(note my sarcasm).
IMG_9163.JPEG

While having our beers I made sure to take a picture of this receipt in the event I lost it. I needed proof. I bought J a shirt after we got off Smuggler's Run. They tried my band twice & it didn't work. The CM called someone & got quite snippy with me. I was wondering if it had something to do with my new reservation. Who knows? Anyhow her way of solving things was to ask me if I could pay in cash. She assured me I did not get charged. Yeah, when I got my statement the next day guess who had been charged twice for that shirt?
IMG_9164.JPEG

While sitting on the outskirts of Baseline we talked J into riding Star Tours for the very first time!! Of course, that meant just me & him. E gets motion sickness and can't go on rides like that.
IMG_9167.JPEG

We had a very short wait which was a good thing. I think I've mentioned in previous TR's how he asks a billion questions when he's going to ride something for the first time b/c he's nervous.
IMG_9168.JPEG

He was scared but excited.
IMG_9170.JPEG

IMG_9171.JPEG

The moment of truth.....
IMG_9172.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
SUNDAY, JANUARY 24TH

He loved it!! Now we're getting into a problem here--he's tried so many new rides recently that it's going to be hard to fit them all in anymore!!(wait until my next TR;))

To celebrate his first Star Tours voyage I bought him this baby Yoda.
IMG_9173.JPEG

We said hello to Gertie!
IMG_9174.JPEG

Then met up with E for our early dinner reservation!! I'm sure it's of no surprise to you that it was here!!
IMG_9177.JPEG

This is J unveiling baby Yoda to his mom. Let's just say it did not go over too well. I don't have kids so what do I know but all my sisters have a huge hatred towards stuffed animals. They call them germ collectors among other things.
IMG_9179.JPEG

J was admiring his new friend while E was complaining to JSR about it!!
IMG_9182.JPEG

The hostess was dancing away!!
IMG_9184.JPEG

Wonder who got our glow cubes??
IMG_9190.JPEG

I'm sure no commentary is needed on the following pics. I'm sure you know whose meal belongs to who!!
IMG_9192.JPEG

IMG_9193.JPEG

IMG_9194.JPEG

As always our meals were great at 50's!! That restaurant never disappoints us!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom