Lost digital pictures?

Aurora23

Original Poster
Could any one tell me what to do if...

My daughter just came home from a trip and needs to download her digital pictures. When she puts the memory card into the camera to download, it tells her that the disk must be formated and that she might lose all the data.

Can anyone help me with this problem? She is afraid all of her pictures are gone forever! Thank you!

Robfasto

You can go to the store and buy a card reader, that way you don't need the camera at all. That is the only way I transfer pictures as you have more control over everything.

mikebrakes

I don't know if getting a card reader is the solution. I have a card that gave me the same message a few months ago when I hooked up my camera. When I tried to use my card reader, I got the same message. I also tried using my dad's computer that has a media center and a slot on the front for memory cards. It too gave me the same message. I'll be watching this thread to see if anybody knows how to save my photos. I put the card to the side hoping some day I could access them. Good luck, and if you find a solution, post it here because I don't want to lose them.

barnum42

That's the message that is normally displayed when you have a brand new card with no data on it. Can you still see the pictures on the camera?

Aurora23

Original Poster
We've been using this card for a while now. It never gave us the message before. When we put the card in the camera, we can not view the pictures.

I guess I will take it to Wolf Camera and see if they can retrieve it. If that doesn't work, I will take it to a computer repair place.

Thank you for your comments, though!

dolbyman

the pictures are only lost if overwritten .. (or if the chip is destroyed)

but you could use a data recovery program to read out the data.... like ontrack easy recovery :wave:

I will second, third and fourth using a data recovery program/service. I bought a data recovery program after deleting a LOT of files on a DVD R/W and guess what, they program found everything and then some. I was SOOOOOOOOO releavied.
good luck

nowisthetime

Aurora23

Original Poster
I took it to Wolf Camera this morning and all is found! He was my hero, to say the least.

Thanks all! I think I have learned my lesson.

barnum42

Aurora23 said:
I took it to Wolf Camera this morning and all is found! He was my hero, to say the least.

Glad to hear it :D Did they say what the problem was?

Robfasto

Aurora23 said:

Great to hear, I hope it was done in the open so you could see what was going on... and maybe next time clear it up yourself.

Aurora23

Original Poster
No, I did not see him retrieve them. But, there is a program (you have to purchase) that will do the job. He said that you have to format the card before using, and every month or so after. He said when you use the card and then delete the old pictures, it still leaves bits of data on there. To make sure you have deleted to the point of "new", you must re-format from time to time. I hope this helps some of you from making the same mistake I did. Don't lose those precious Disney memories! I've been visiting since the age of 5, and going on my 25+ trip this December. I've lost count!

But my daughter went to Hong Kong, and thanks to the guy at Wolf Camera - we have all of her pictures in tact!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom