Losing Your Disney Faith

tirian

Beautifully said and this post should be pinned at the top of the forums.

I too have come to grips over the past few years that the "Disney" that I used to work for decades ago and the parks that I grew up loving and kept visiting all through my adulthood, my children, and into my children's adulthoods just doesn't exist anymore besides in my memories.

When I go to Epcot now, I'm not really going to today's Epcot, I'm going to a place that used to be Epcot and wander around and remember what it was and try to recreate the feelings without really opening my eyes and taking in what it actually "is". Same with the Magic Kingdom, the hotels, etc, etc.

I've learned to dramatically lower my standards for creativity, charm, and warmth and lower my expectations for future changes.

I went through "denial" and now I'm living in "acceptance" - take your photos in front of the purple wall and three pound cupcake - it doesn't bother me, it just makes me realize that is now what "Disney" is - not what I carry in my memories.

Boomer out.
Ironically, it’s Disney+ that made me come to realize all this. As I spent the first few weeks of pandemic nights watching old and modern classics ranging from The Absent-Minded Professor to the original Jungle Book to the animated Lion King (and some not-quite-classics like Hercules), it struck me: “This company doesn’t exist anymore.”

Throughout Eisner’s days, people accused Disney of being a soul-less marketing machine, but that was only true of his last few years. That era was actually ushered in through Iger and Chapek.

The last time the company coasted on nostalgia was the 1970s through early ‘80s, and audiences were willing to call them out on it. The Cult of Mickey hadn’t been formed yet, and as a result, the company course-corrected and gave us the Disney Renaissance (which actually began with poor Ron Miller’s short time at the helm).

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Part of the problem with current Disney is that it's ALL based on movies. Believe it or not, the Disney parks used to attract people who weren't interested in movies. Historically, I'm not even much of a fan of Disney movies. That's not to say movies weren't a part of DL or Magic Kingdom, but so many attractions had nothing to do with them, really. Everything they do now feels like a commercial for a movie and that adds to the overall cold corporate manufactured atmosphere of modern faithless Godless Walt-less Disney.

tirian

Part of the problem with current Disney is that it's ALL based on movies. Believe it or not, the Disney parks used to attract people who weren't interested in movies. Historically, I'm not even much of a fan of Disney movies. That's not to say movies weren't a part of DL or Magic Kingdom, but so many attractions had nothing to do with them, really. Everything they do now feels like a commercial for a movie and that adds to the overall cold corporate manufactured atmosphere of modern faithless Godless Walt-less Disney.
It is also in the "how" they execute the movies - for just one example, the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse was based on a Disney movie, it felt organic and you lived the adventure and I loved it for years. Tarzan's Treehouse - um, well, not so much.
Yep. To put it in perspective, my very first trip to DL was after Pressler’s era, and tbh, within two days I was burned out on all the cartoon IPs everywhere in DL. I’m an East Coast kid who grew up going to WDW. I appreciated the balance of variety of Epcot, the Studios, DAK, the water parks, etc. There was no question that DL itself was better than the MK alone, but it was also more “toon-ified” and juvenile.

Maybe the execs should start quoting another famous saying from Walt: You don’t talk down to kids.

PiratesMansion

Yes, exactly! The movies were fine when I was a child. I neither hated nor loved the majority of them. The parks are the reason that I fell in love with the company and am still following them.

Even now I love some of them and like many but don't have strong feelings about most of their content. So to see the company actively reposition the parks and act as if the historic aspects of them and what they actually stood for in the past (and now only play lip service to) are expendable unless they can shove a(n often unrelated to the theme) movie IP into the parks while cutting away at what makes them worthwhile while jacking up the prices is incredibly alienating.

The company might as well just put up a sign that says "we don't want your type of fan anymore" next to the cancer signs at this point. I'd be more ok with it if they would just own it and stop being patronizing towards long-term fans by pretending they're the same company they were decades ago with the same values.

Last edited:

Sailor310

I was burned out so I let my pass lapse in November. My older sister was in town with friends and needed a tour guide, so I got a pass February 14th, thinking it would be worth it versus $200 for one day. We know how that's working out. I probably won't go with Rona.
HOWEVER, I did make a Mickey Mouse-shaped pancake last week...just because.

George Lucas on a Bench

While the Eisner administration had its problems, most notably toward the end, the direction they took the company in was mindful and respectful of its past. The new Disney, the People's Republic of Iger and his righthand man Mr. Clean has gone off the rails. Marvel funny books, endless knockoff Star Wars movies, crappy live action remakes and lame screen-based movie rides that make you want to just go on the old plywood crap that's been collecting dust for 40 years instead. The company is being destroyed by a bunch of nutjobs.

Curious Constance

In today’s Disney it’s not enough to just have enjoyed a movie and move on. Nope. You have to live and breath that movie, want to live your real life fantasy of that movie, dress up as the characters from the movie, want entire lands in the parks devoted to that movie, all merchandise centered on that movie, etc etc etc. There is no distinction between the parks and the IP anymore. The parks are strictly walking billboards at this point.

Stevek

In today’s Disney it’s not enough to just have enjoyed a movie and move on. Nope. You have to live and breath that movie, want to live your real life fantasy of that movie, dress up as the characters from the movie, want entire lands in the parks devoted to that movie, all merchandise centered on that movie, etc etc etc. There is no distinction between the parks and the IP anymore. The parks are strictly walking billboards at this point.
Sadly true. I doubt the US parks will ever get another non-IP attraction...which is sad given that Pirates, Mansion, BTM, Matterhorn & Space Mountain are arguably the most popular attractions in the park. And yes, IP has always been a part of the park and some attractions since day one...but Walt and the imagineers knew they had the opportunity to also create new stories and adventures.

Stevek

The question is... will the old Disney ever come back? And if so, when? After Iger finally leaves? When Chapek leaves?
Never say never but I think the correct answer is never. They’ve gone too far down this path and it’s now ingrained in the company and as long as the buying public continues to give these IP attractions high scores, there really is no reason to stop. Disney isn’t going to pass on the opportunity to sell avengers merchandise outside the latest marvel IP related attraction for example. At the end of the day, as much as many of us dislike this, it makes absolute perfect business sense.

Californian Elitist

And what they are not realizing is “Instagrammers” don’t have an emotional connection that will last generations - once there is a new fad or new cupcake out there, they will move on for that heart hands photo op.It’s a dangerous market to covet.

It’s like if Disneyland focused only on the Videopolis and Starcade crowd in the 80’s.

Good luck with that.

The “influencers” are some of the worst type of consumers for the company for the reasons you mentioned. They don’t actually have their hearts in the legacy and history of the company Walt Disney built. These folks are a win for Disney because they know they’re never going to be as critical as the fans with their hearts in it, fans like us here. They don’t have to worry about any negative press, especially if they agree to give them free crap and invite them to special events, which they do. Also, if these “influencers” brag and boast about how delicious whatever the new cupcake is and mention how waiting in line was worth it, their followers will follow suit. They enjoy any and everything Disney puts out.

It’s a win for Disney but a loss for the fans who actually care. So now it’s time to move on. We can still appreciate the parts we still enjoy and talk about things, but I honestly think it’s best if disappointed and frustrated fans try and start distancing themselves from Disney and find other things to see and do. Continuing to be upset and disappointed over and over again is a waste of energy, especially when it’s obvious change isn’t coming any time soon.

Phroobar

Without creative leadership, the parks will always lean towards rides that support the movie IP over original concepts. Even Walt built entire lands that had nothing but movie centered IP. (Fantasyland). For other ones, he created commercial content to support the land (Zorro, David Crockett, true life adventures). It's the proper mix of the two that is the key to success. Unfortunately, It is far easier to build some based on an existing property than to do the other way around.

tirian

Without creative leadership, the parks will always lean towards rides that support the movie IP over original concepts. Even Walt built entire lands that had nothing but movie centered IP. (Fantasyland). For other ones, he created commercial content to support the land (Zorro, David Crockett, true life adventures). It's the proper mix of the two that is the key to success. Unfortunately, It is far easier to build some based on an existing property than to do the other way around.
It’s even worse when most of the IP isn’t very good anyway! :D I’d also argue the problem isn’t the use of IP so much as focusing on preschool-level cartoons.

In the past, WDI/Disney theme parks knew how to properly mix classic animated IP and newer movies, along with original ideas, because it was led by creative vision. Some things can’t be explained on checklists and spreadsheets. How do you know when you’ve gone too far and should balance something? You just know. That instinct is called talent.

rk03221

Almost literally everything in Disney is an IP. Peter Pan, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty’s Castle, Alice in Wonderland, etc. It’s been that way since 1955

Mac Tonight

Almost literally everything in Disney is an IP. Peter Pan, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty’s Castle, Alice in Wonderland, etc. It’s been that way since 1955
Technically yes, but there was a huge difference between Walt using IP to mainly create endearing family entertainment/attractions by elevating works of literature...

And Bob Iger using IP to add another teat to the udder of the cash cow he sees the company as.

Stevek

Well yeah, the park foundation was IP BUT there is still quite a bit that is non-IP, including some of the most beloved attractions in the park. Epcot was non-IP, much of Animal Kingdom was non-IP. Disney can absolutely create amazing non-IP attractions (Mystic Manor anyone?) but that ship has sailed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom