Losing weight for the Mouse!

breezyboo

Hi everybody!

This is my first post! I am a 30 year old wife and momma to my 11 month old baby girl, Aurora. I gained a signficant amount of weight throughout my pregnancy and have not lost any of it :( My husband and I decided to book a WDW Trip in February 2021 to motivate me to lose 80lbs. We are Floridians and Annual Pass Members ( actually expired in February but will renew once parks reopen) but this will be the first time we are going to stay on site and utilize the DDP. I am going to put everything into losing the weight so that my daughter's first trip to Disney will not be filled with memories of Momma unable to keep up! Anyone else out there dieting for Disney?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Its great to have goals but it should be for the right reasons not just "for Disney".
Also 80lbs in 9 months would require you to lose about 2.2lbs per week EVERY WEEK.
Instead of setting such a big goal I'd recommend starting a bit smaller.
I started at 212lbs when I changed my lifestyle and my first goal was to get under and stay under 205lbs.
Next goal was to get under and stay under 200lbs etc.
And know it is a LIFESTYLE not a diet.
I've lost 55lbs but it took 18 months and I still eat well and exercise daily to keep myself at this size a couple years later.
Personally I've found that adding more fruit, veggies, and WATER WATER WATER helped plus I walk about 2 miles per day.
May I suggest maybe daily power walks with your baby in the stroller?
Anyways good luck and hope you meet your goal!

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

Good for you! My husband I did the same thing for our July 2019 trip. He ended up losing 100 pounds and I ended up losing 50 pounds. Unfortunately since quarantining started and I been at home working, I have gained back 10 of those pounds. So, I am going back to regimen and hope that I can lose about 20 before our July 2020 trip (if that happens). Be prepared to gain about 10 pounds at Disney from the food as your body will not be used to all those calories even though you are putting a lot of steps in.

Upvote 0

KellBelle

I lost about 35lbs prior to our Dec 2019 trip. It was a really good motivator for me. I still have more to go, and we plan to go back in Dec 2020, but with things so up in the air, I am less motivated this time around. Good luck!

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Congrats on deciding to lose the weight and getting started with a plan. Its always helpful when you can set yourself a target goal to work towards. Dont beat yourself up if it doesnt come off as fast as youd like. Losing weight is much harder than putting it on. :D:D:D It does take a lot of will power and hopefully your husband will be able to help you by encouraging you and supporting you as you go along.
As soon as we book a trip, I evaluate where I am at weight wise and start immediately planning and strategizing my weight loss. Because of the enormous time and distance walking at Disney involves and knowing I will be eating richer meals and plenty of snacks, I start a daily walking regimen, cut out snacks, drink water or diet soda, eat salads and lesser calorie meals and am really mindful of my goal. It also helps so much to keep a journal.... write down EVERYTHING you eat and drink throughout the day. This keeps not only your progress as you lose weight but more importantly you can actually see what youre putting into your body and it makes you accountable for staying on track. By the time the trip comes around I always have reached my goal. I've found the weight loss at the start of my trip, combined with the daily Disney walking, Ive come back home without gaining any weight back despite all the Disney eating. Good luck on making progress. Check in with us each month or so so we can also encourage you along.

Upvote 0

SteveAZee

I did a combination of low carb/Keto dieting (I averaged around 1.5 lbs/week weight loss) and walking, either on a treadmill or outside if the weather was nice. The diet was simple (for me) because I could still eat all I wanted, but from a limited set of foods. The walking was great for weight loss as well, but also helped me get in shape for all the walking that happens when visiting WDW.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I've struggled with weight most of my life. I'm still struggling but I'm making some headway.

I'm sure you've heard it, but losing weight and keeping it off requires a lifestyle change as much as a diet change. Some things I've read, heard, or found useful (bounce these off your doctor):

1) ditch the diet soda... drink plain water, or tea/coffee with a moderate amount of sugar (1 tsp = 12 calories)... diet drinks don't help and alcohol is empty calories
2) get some more exercise... walking is great for toning the legs and you're going to be walking at WDW anyway, aren't you?
3) intermittent fasting seems to help... reduce the window of eating during the day... example, don't eat before 10 am or after 6 pm.
4) along with setting hours, eat more fiber, fruits, veggies and small portions of lean meats... shoot for two meals a day instead of three (or four)
5) drink 8 glasses of water a day... helps you feel fuller... flushes toxins out of your system
6) get plenty of sleep... I know, with a toddler??? try anyway. put the baby on a strict schedule. then put mama on a strict schedule.
7) there is no rule 7
8) finally, use positive mental imagery to keep yourself motivated... imagine how good it will feel to be able to walk as long and as far as you want to at WDW.

Good luck! We're here to cheer you on!!!

Upvote 0

breezyboo

Original Poster
WOW!

Thank you so much everyone, I wasn't expecting such a response! I will definitely check back in every month with my progress and I appreciate everyone's tips! I plan on doing low carb/ keto and Intermintent Fasting. I also will be taking daily walks and hopefully will evolve my exercise regimen as I become more able! Thank you all so much! I will start taking pictures to show if thats okay!

Upvote 0

KikoKea

I found this at just the right time! Great advice from everyone. My DH calls it "getting in Disney shape." I've gained weight in the past 6 months and want to lose 40 lbs, eventually. I'm in my early 60s, so the weight doesn't fall off like it used to. DH and I have been walking some- he'll joke around when I want to head back home and say we've hardly made it across the park to the HM yet. :)

For me, making a menu helps. It eliminates 'what's for breakfast/lunch/dinner?' and cuts down on snacking. And, I set small goals, usually 5 lbs at a time, which allows me to have successes more quickly, which motivates me even more. 🚶‍♀️👟🥕🍇🥬

Upvote 0
Don't let these people discourage you! It is absolutely valid to say you want to lose weight for your Disney trip. You don't need some big, dramatic, soul-searching further reason. I've put on a few pounds during this whole lockdown thing and with an upcoming trip the first thing I thought of was "I need to lose this weight before Disney". Your reasons are yours and you don't need them justified.

Also ignore the need to put your baby on a strict schedule. Not only is that unreasonable for both of you, it's damaging in the long run. Forcing a child into a schedule like that means any flexibility and adaptability are completely gone from your life. When you do make it to Disney you'll end up with a baby melting down because they don't have their exact specifications, and they'll grow up unable to cope with real life. I have never put a baby on a schedule. The body's natural rhythms do that for you. Having a good routine at basically the same time is one thing, but being "strict" with something like that does far more harm than good.

I love the comment about "not getting to HM yet"! My husband and I listen to loops of the background music for the different lands as we walk to keep us motivated! One thing I did the last time I lost weight (60 pounds), was use a visual aid. It may not work for everyone, but just like people use countdown calendars/paper chains to count down to the trip, I used a paper monorail on a weight timeline. As I hit goals, I moved the monorail along toward the castle at the end.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

I love the comment about "not getting to HM yet"! My husband and I listen to loops of the background music for the different lands as we walk to keep us motivated! One thing I did the last time I lost weight (60 pounds), was use a visual aid. It may not work for everyone, but just like people use countdown calendars/paper chains to count down to the trip, I used a paper monorail on a weight timeline. As I hit goals, I moved the monorail along toward the castle at the end.
I love that idea! I could move the Peoplemover along it's track! 😍

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

I started last Monday and I have lost 8 pounds so far! 🥳 Not bad considering that I am limping everywhere due to having moderate to severe osteoarthritis in both my knees. I can't have knee replacement until I lose more weight and well....get older (because I am not 40 yet). So, even if my Disney trip doesn't happen, I stand to benefit from continued weight loss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 55

Back in 2009 at age 54 I joined a gym with the goal of losing weight. On the advise of my doctor to help control my type 2 dietetics. I used my up coming trip to Disney world in September with our 4 1/2 year old grandson as motivation. I felt I had to be in better condition to keep up with this high energy GS. All the time I was sweating while runnung on treatmill or feeling the burn from liting weights I would allways think of the up coming trip. Now 11 years later I still go to gym regularly and am 65 lbs less. Back to the size and weight I was when I graduated high school in 1974. Also 10 + trips to Disney during the time. 2012 and 2019 with the grandson.

Upvote 0

BeanCounterBob

This one actually hits home for me as I, too, am starting to exercise with a Disney trip in mind. Ours is in 2023 though. Mine is not just for the trip, but I currently have a 2 year old and bike riding and rowing just wasn't an option until now. It is even better that I am working from home and have endless hours on my hands. I can ride for a few miles and I drift to Disney for that little bit. I imagine what my daughters face is going to look like the first time she sees everything. 5 years ago I needed to make a life change and dropped 65 pounds in 3 months. I was biking all over the place; sometimes up to 30 miles a day. My end result in that was I found my wife. Now we have our little girl with a huge trip planned in 2023. Good luck on your journey! It is great to have motivation!

Upvote 0

yensid67

I am a 53 yr old man who drinks COKE( I know) but due to health concerns, I cannot drink any type of Diet with aspartame! I TRY to drink Ice Tea, but I do not like PLAIN water...I am currently at 190...I gain about 15 lbs since quarantined...I was going to the gym and was feeling good about it...I have 2 dogs that I walk a little 3-4 times a day!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO LOOSE WEIGHT KNOWING ALL THESE FACTS!? Anything would be helpful! Please do not preach about the soda...I know, but regular soda is the only thing I can drink :)

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

disneychris333

Remember you are not alone. I am a WW member since 2017. Even though I have not dropped a huge amount of weight, I have learned alot. If you are one that needs soda, cut back, don't cut out. Use smaller plates for your meals, and instead of focusing on the food, focus on the company you are having meals with. Move more - if you are a couch potato, during commercials, get up and walk around the room, or have a soup can near you and lift it, or lift your legs up and down. If you work at a desk all day, get up every once in a while and do some squats. Since I bought my Fitbit, I take well over 10,000 steps a day. And remember to have protein - at least half you weight in protein grams. Disney is my incentive to lose weight, and so is my health. Whatever your ultimate goal is - you will feel better!

Upvote 0

KikoKea

I am a 53 yr old man who drinks COKE( I know) but due to health concerns, I cannot drink any type of Diet with aspartame! I TRY to drink Ice Tea, but I do not like PLAIN water...I am currently at 190...I gain about 15 lbs since quarantined...I was going to the gym and was feeling good about it...I have 2 dogs that I walk a little 3-4 times a day!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO LOOSE WEIGHT KNOWING ALL THESE FACTS!? Anything would be helpful! Please do not preach about the soda...I know, but regular soda is the only thing I can drink :)

Thanks for your help!
I'm with you about Coke- artificial sweeteners give me a headache. Something that helps me is keeping track of what I eat, so I use Myfitnesspal.com, which is free and has an app that is easy to use. When I record what I eat and see the calories, sugar, etc it makes me more aware and I make better choices (although my favorite Chikfila meal is 880 calories, it will still be an occasional treat:) ). Consider when you walk the dogs, try setting a goal of, say, 10 minutes out & 10 back and then increase it by 5 minutes every few days to build up your steps. There are also step counters apps you can use with your phone.

I've enjoyed learning about new foods and how to prepare them. There's lots of info on the Internet. I found it helpful to see what I was eating and when, and I discovered the afternoon was when I ate the junk. Knowing that, it's easier to change what I reach for. And, set small goals- big ones seem overwhelming, but smaller ones are attainable and help you gain confidence. 😊

Upvote 0

yensid67

I'm with you about Coke- artificial sweeteners give me a headache. Something that helps me is keeping track of what I eat, so I use Myfitnesspal.com, which is free and has an app that is easy to use. When I record what I eat and see the calories, sugar, etc it makes me more aware and I make better choices (although my favorite Chikfila meal is 880 calories, it will still be an occasional treat:) ). Consider when you walk the dogs, try setting a goal of, say, 10 minutes out & 10 back and then increase it by 5 minutes every few days to build up your steps. There are also step counters apps you can use with your phone.

I've enjoyed learning about new foods and how to prepare them. There's lots of info on the Internet. I found it helpful to see what I was eating and when, and I discovered the afternoon was when I ate the junk. Knowing that, it's easier to change what I reach for. And, set small goals- big ones seem overwhelming, but smaller ones are attainable and help you gain confidence. 😊
I am WITH YOU on Chikfila, too!!!!! Love me some Chicken sandwich or Nuggets...12 count of course! But that's the only fast food I do once 1-2 weeks!
I usually walk the dogs for about 45 minutes if its not hot out! Maybe have to switch to evening walks!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom